AFA Work Issues Thread--10/6-

Status
Not open for further replies.
Actually this Thanksgiving went pretty well. This includes the few days before and the few days after. As usual the majority of f/a's flying were reserves who always carry this company through the holidays. It has always been that way and most likely always will. Hey, that's what we're here for right? Oh wait I thought I was "summer help". Anyway these boards will be relatively quiet for a few days as 99% of the reserves are flying. :lol:

Actually this Thanksgiving went pretty well. This includes the few days before and the few days after. As usual the majority of f/a's flying were reserves who always carry this company through the holidays. It has always been that way and most likely always will. Hey, that's what we're here for right? Oh wait I thought I was "summer help". Anyway these boards will be relatively quiet for a few days as 99% of the reserves are flying. :lol:

Some '87 hire had the audacity to tell me that's exactly what we are here for - to work when they are off. I almost drove the cart right into his overinflated sack of an ego. Anyway, can't wait til Christmas...

I had a LENGTHY conversation with a scheduling supervisor the other day about different coverage issues over the holidays. He told me flat out that RESERVES CARRY THE COMPANY especially during the holidays......
Blockholders are nothing but a bunch of primadonnas.... The last part was my words that were implied.....

Primadonnas is a little harsh Twice. These gals wore girdles when we were negative 10 in age and had to get on scales to get their paychecks! :eek: After 15 years, you certainly deserve to hold the holidays off much less 30+. That said yes reserves do carry the holiday. These Primadonnas would be happy to come to work for decent pay so that we jr folk could have it off. The company won't do it. They enjoy the self-imposed drama too much.
These gals were hired at 18 and can't afford medical. Offer that you will see a lot leave.

Some '87 hire had the audacity to tell me that's exactly what we are here for - to work when they are off. I almost drove the cart right into his overinflated sack of an ego. Anyway, can't wait til Christmas...

'87 is definitely not senior.....that's only 2 years away from Reserve in PHL and CLT and soon to be DCA! :lol:

LGA list came out today. Highest amount went to PHL and DCA with most, if not all, former PIT going to DCA and New Yorkers to PHL. Most of the folks that went to CLT either live very south or in CLT.

So WhatNows suggestion that 87' wont be senior in DCA will most likely be spot on come Feb 01!

With all the LGA flying going to CLT plus the gain there in 76I lines (25 A319 and 6 76I lines), what's the speculation for PHL blockholder longevity?

Jim

[Edit] I should have said all the LGA time going to CLT - it's too early to tell if CLT crews will be doing any of the Shuttle flying that LGA crews now do or whether the CLT A319 gain is balanced by the use of the E190 for some Shuttle flying.

Well looking at the 190 tripsheets for January in PHL that baby is about 90% shuttle. They are some mean looking trips. :shock:

Well looking at the 190 tripsheets for January in PHL that baby is about 90% shuttle. They are some mean looking trips. :shock:

I hope they tell the crews working the trips that they are NOT no-serves. Unopened can, cup of ice, big smile, beer and wine are gratis, no liquor in coach.

Yesterday I happened to look up how many people were junior to me. When I was on furlough I had around 2000 below me. With just under ten years now I have less than 150 beneath me, some of which are XXX status. It was shocking. You should do it too, then ask yourself where, after ten years, would you only have around 150 f/a's junior to you? It saddens me and with "the incredible shrinking airline" mentality that this place has, what's next for us?
Oh, right. Working every weekend, every single holiday, and qualifying for food stamps because we don't make our time.

My heart breaks.

Now, now.....just be glad you have a job. Oh wait, if you don't like it leave. Aren't they the two biggest generic responses? You know I'm kidding right? I feel the same way.

Now, now.....just be glad you have a job. Oh wait, if you don't like it leave. Aren't they the two biggest generic responses? You know I'm kidding right? I feel the same way.

You forgot, "I paid my dues. I was on reserve for six weeks in 1970."

Yeah I know your humor now. : P

Is it gonna get any better? I pray for a joint contract so we can integrate with the west and maybe have some chance at flying more or having some hope. A merger with United would make my dreams come true. IAD-NRT, here here... And they hired after 2001 so we would have some seniority. Heck, there were more people junior to me the month after I got hired. *shakes head*

Yesterday I happened to look up how many people were junior to me. When I was on furlough I had around 2000 below me. With just under ten years now I have less than 150 beneath me, some of which are XXX status. It was shocking. You should do it too, then ask yourself where, after ten years, would you only have around 150 f/a's junior to you? It saddens me and with "the incredible shrinking airline" mentality that this place has, what's next for us?
Oh, right. Working every weekend, every single holiday, and qualifying for food stamps because we don't make our time.

My heart breaks.

I read this thread, and I am always grateful for our reserve system at AA. Even though I won't live long enough to get off reserve, at least I only have to serve reserve 3 months/year.

As far as the number of people below me, I know how you feel. At the time I was furloughed in July, 2003, there were something like 3000+ f/as junior to me (of course, that included all of the former TWA f/as). As of today, there are approximately 1700 flight attendants junior to me, and 1400+ of those are on furlough.

We just had a proffer close for Personal Leaves of Absence (I think you call them Voluntary Personal Leaves of Absence) for the first quarter of 2010. The projected overage for the first quarter is 400-500 f/as. If they do not get enough takers on the LOA, we may very well have another furlough at AA.

Travelpro...if it's any consolation, LCC is not the only incredible shrinking airline. At STL this past summer we had 110 departures/day. Next summer we will have 32 on mainline and 4 on American Eagle. This is down from approx. 400 daily departures from STL the last year that TWA was a separate airline.

Ok switching gears a bit since this is technically the "service etc" thread, When are the service enhancements coming to first class domestic? Seriously, how long does it take to pick out a plastic stem glass for wine since I don't see glassware coming back at all? When will we see enhancements to the snack basket or an expanded meal window. Ya know, actually COMPETE and offer what your competitors offer? I know a lot was promised and logistics behind the scenes can take time but really? Seriously? Speaking about service since the complimentary beverage service came back why is PHL-BWI a "request" flight while PHL-DCA isn't? Ooooook! :rolleyes:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back