Aircraft Damage Incident

Status
Not open for further replies.
They have, but at least they know how critical it is to REPORT the Damage. In my 26 years with the Airline, I have seen several A/C incidents, but have NEVER have known of any that were not reported. Most of these Boneheads that work for the vendors don't know squat, and could care less about anything for their poverty wages. Remember that these folks are a level below the McDonalds crowd. It is no secret that there is a revolving door of employees with these contract vendors.
Yes you can blame it on Outsourcing!! As stated in the last sentence of your post,training & supervision are severely lacking with these "Fly-by-Night" vendors. They get the contract with their low ball bids, and do the bare minimums when it comes to training their poeple. As soon as you get a few of them trained, they leave and you have another group of newbies to work with. Please keep in mind that with the wages that these vendors are paying that very few of these workers are there for the long term.
At my former station they have had a difficult time keeping anyone longer that a few months. Now that we are into the winter, that will shorten their stay even more.
Heck, the Supervisors hardly make $10 an hour with these contractors, so you know these folks are Top-notch leaders...

You are right about the very high turnover rate at these contractors that pay garbage wages. When I worked in another city (I work for AA), one of these outfits came over to our breakroom and asked if we wanted to work on our days off at their outfit for minimum wage. There were no takers. It is apparent that either these companies can't find anyone willing to work for so little doing a job in the elements that IS physically difficult, or everyone that applies fails the background checks and drug tests, or that people leave after 1 or 2 days on the job. When they have a high turnover, it actually cost them money because of the expenses involved in paying for background checks, drug tests, and the fact that the airlines and contract companies have to pay the airport authority for each airport identification badge issued. They thought if they could get people from other airlines to work for them on their days off, it would cost less because the people already have had their background checks, drug tests, and airport IDs paid for by the airline.

As for Alaska Airlines itself, they once had very good performance with respect to baggage handling. Now they are among the worst, if not the worst; and the aircraft damage has increased substantially since they fired their long time employees and replaced them with the lowest bidder. You do indeed get what you pay for. Who is to blame for this situation at Alaska Airlines? The unionized former Alaska Airlines ramp people? No, they are no longer on the property. Maybe, just maybe, the blame lies with senior management at Alaska Airlines. The cost of the mishandled bags+ the aircraft damages+the negative image of the latest incident mitigated any cost saving obtained by contracting out the ramp.

I have been told that the A/C damage done by ramp vendors at US are in the ballpark of 24 Million Bucks so far this year....So how much Money was really saved by Outsourcing over 20 Stations??? :down:

I think that number is actually for *US Express* ramp employees. And a chunk of that is from 3 way connections (GPU's being pulled away while still hooked up to aircraft). That # also includes towbar "aircraft injuries" such as the sensitive CRJ towing limits.

From what I have been told, this was for Mainline A/C damage done in the outsourced stations...

Status
Not open for further replies.