Aircraft maint issues

Let me amend this post if I may.....the IAM half of the association and the negotiating committee is in no hurry to get a contract done. All we have been hearing from the TWU is that the company is not negotiating in good faith. The union should be fully transparent in telling us abut how the IAM will not let them bring back ANYTHING back to us that negatively affects the IAM members. The main sticking point is their medical.
So here we are...The TWU who way outweighs the IAM in every, way, shape or form, is being held hostage by the IAM minority.
The IAM crowd could not care any less about outsourcing, they already gave that store away over two the course of two bankruptcies. Why in the world would they be in any hurry when they have a better contract than we do?
This is one of those many reasons why two unions sharing is a terrible idea. To top it off, they have an equal share in negotiations representing only 1/3 of the combined membership. Before you know it, the holidays will be here and our IAM counterparts will earning more those holidays than we do. Their 2018 benefits will still be better and less costlier than ours.
Everyone still think the ASSociation was a good idea?

Maybe its time for the TWU members start protesting the TWU and IAM.
If you do a card drive do you need the IAM at all, or could they sue the IAM side to block it ?

TWU could petition the NMB right now for a representation vote if they had a pair.
They are by far the majority union and would not need a card drive to get a vote, jettison the IAM and move this thing forward to a TA.
The association was a very poorly conceived idea to begin with, it's time to flush it.

Last edited:
Very curious after reading this article this morning. Could it be these reasons why AA management is stalling the new contract? I know you guys have already received preliminary raises, but you guys are suppose to get more and there are more cost to a contract than just raises when improvements are made over all. I would be willing to bet that the co. wants you guys done by mid to late 2018. This is where they will start to get back some better numbers AND they will start the Pilots new contract talks in 2019, a lot of cost increases are coming for AA by 2020. Hope the company doesn't pull the, "oh, were sorry fellas, but we have to get our cost in better line with revenue and profits, there are no room for raises and improvements to your contract." I would 100% blame the asso. if this were to happen as they were ones delaying everything from the start by forcing this asso in and not doing the right thing and having a vote between the TWU and IAM. Just hope the company doesn't start the doom and gloom tactics on you guys...

BusinessMotley Fool
Cost Creep Remains American Airlines' Achilles Heel

Very curious after reading this article this morning. Could it be these reasons why AA management is stalling the new contract? I know you guys have already received preliminary raises, but you guys are suppose to get more and there are more cost to a contract than just raises when improvements are made over all. I would be willing to bet that the co. wants you guys done by mid to late 2018. This is where they will start to get back some better numbers AND they will start the Pilots new contract talks in 2019, a lot of cost increases are coming for AA by 2020. Hope the company doesn't pull the, "oh, were sorry fellas, but we have to get our cost in better line with revenue and profits, there are no room for raises and improvements to your contract." I would 100% blame the asso. if this were to happen as they were ones delaying everything from the start by forcing this asso in and not doing the right thing and having a vote between the TWU and IAM. Just hope the company doesn't start the doom and gloom tactics on you guys...

BusinessMotley Fool
Cost Creep Remains American Airlines' Achilles Heel

swamt you seem to be forgetting that AA put out publicly a proposal that they claim will cost them another 400 Million per year and even if you don’t have access to our Jetnet to watch what Parker said in Roadshows since you don’t work for AA, he has said the money is there.

Eventually yes AA Association members will leap ahead of the industry in Base wages and benefits and more than likely there will be yearly wage increases for the 5 year life of the contracts (5 years being a guess) of between 2 to 2.5% per year.

Then eventually UAL and Delta will leapfrog us. Not sure you will be part of that leapfrogging anymore as it seems SWA Management wants to lower your Airline into the LCC realm and compete as best they can in that area. But hey it’s ok cause you did do quite well the last decade anyway financially. So don’t blame your Union.

TWU could petition the NMB right now for a representation vote if they had a pair.
They are by far the majority union and would not need a card drive to get a vote, jettison the IAM and move this thing forward to a TA.
The association was a very poorly conceived idea to begin with, it's time to flush it.

Traymark the situation if the TWU were to consider it could be precedent setting. I don’t think they could do it without a card drive or to be honest it would have been done after Jim Little was deposed and Lombardo and Samuelsen took over?

Remember they agreed (Jim Little) to the Association Legally and filed together for certification with the NMB.

I’m not even sure if either side could initiate a card drive without being sued to death if either side actually got the cards to file?

What I think I see eventually occurring is them finishing off (some day) a JCBA and both Unions will go their separate ways and have very little joint Labor efforts together. The viewpoint being how IAM has chosen not to join TWU in picketing or even a decent modicum of support.

They’ll only come together when it’s time once again to negotiate which “should” be easier with one contract to work off of rather than two.

Do we have the legal document creating this gawd awful, illegitimate association? I find it very hard to believe there is no way out of this debacle.

Do we have the legal document creating this gawd awful, illegitimate association? I find it very hard to believe there is no way out of this debacle.

The problem “might” be if you/I/members started our own card drive for either TWU or IAM neither “may” be legally able to accept the cards to send off to the NMB again without being sued for trying to break a binding agreement?

I personally think it would be the IAM that would sue because they were the ones who pressured this Association to happen in the first place (Understandably) and they are an extremely Political organization who’s Leaders very much enjoy their creature comforts and wouldn’t want to lose them (None of us would, who would we be kidding)

Samuelsen at the Times Square Protest did mention the Machinists through the Bullhorn and Peterson has also mentioned them regarding their Medical and IAMPF in one of his videos. The problem for me is how I don’t read/hear anything out of the IAM for concern on our (TWU) issues?

That creates more frustration for me than anything I would expect the Company to do because it’s expected from them.

And dvlhog it’s not illegitimate because the NMB signed off on it and explained their reasoning for doing so.

Gary Peterson himself did try to legally petition the NMB to stop it let’s not forget and the NMB rebuked him that he had no authority.

Both IAM and TWU Legal Eagles at the time made sure to cross every T and dot every I to make sure any holes were cemented shut.

In case some of you mechanics are not entertaining the fleets forum, there are two contract negotiators over there posting. It appears that the IAM'ers are fully communicated to about the contract changes and what's coming. Seems even one of the nego's are puzzled why the TWU is not communicating details to the membership, but he doesn't seem to care that they are not, he is only concern with updating his people. It sounds to me that it will end up being a huge fiasco once the T/A is out and you guys are blind sided with all the drastic changes. And yes the nego did say there will be big changes. Go read the last 3-4 pages where the two nego's are answering a lot of fleets questions. I actually praise them 2 nego's for updating them, where is the TWU updating their members? There are some very interesting info over there guys. And it's getting very busy with 4 pages in one 24 hour period. Just FYI.

In case some of you mechanics are not entertaining the fleets forum, there are two contract negotiators over there posting. It appears that the IAM'ers are fully communicated to about the contract changes and what's coming. Seems even one of the nego's are puzzled why the TWU is not communicating details to the membership, but he doesn't seem to care that they are not, he is only concern with updating his people. It sounds to me that it will end up being a huge fiasco once the T/A is out and you guys are blind sided with all the drastic changes. And yes the nego did say there will be big changes. Go read the last 3-4 pages where the two nego's are answering a lot of fleets questions. I actually praise them 2 nego's for updating them, where is the TWU updating their members? There are some very interesting info over there guys. And it's getting very busy with 4 pages in one 24 hour period. Just FYI.

They are NOT fully briefed on details inside the Negotiations on items that have been TA’d. If they were those details would be all over Social Media pages such as here on Forums and more so where the real action is, Facebook.

You have an extremely difficult time I notice actually understanding what people write regarding meanings. You really kind of just make up your own interpretations.

Have you ever considered getting tested?

NY Daily News print addition Sunday.

80F72F94-4E09-4974-975F-FE4F560DCED3.jpeg

We could take them to court for misrepresenting since they said there would be a vote on the association. Are we could prove everyone wrong and sign cards and get a vote after signing enough AMFA cards to get a election. Since there seems to be no movement at the contract talks. Let’s get AMFA and there lawyers economists they have and go up against Jerry glass

swamt you seem to be forgetting that AA put out publicly a proposal that they claim will cost them another 400 Million per year and even if you don’t have access to our Jetnet to watch what Parker said in Roadshows since you don’t work for AA, he has said the money is there.

Eventually yes AA Association members will leap ahead of the industry in Base wages and benefits and more than likely there will be yearly wage increases for the 5 year life of the contracts (5 years being a guess) of between 2 to 2.5% per year.

Then eventually UAL and Delta will leapfrog us. Not sure you will be part of that leapfrogging anymore as it seems SWA Management wants to lower your Airline into the LCC realm and compete as best they can in that area. But hey it’s ok cause you did do quite well the last decade anyway financially. So don’t blame your Union.
He also said delta plus 7 that was a lie now delta plus 3 for amt so Parker word is no good

Back