Aircraft maint issues

What I see in the amt think tank is, send them back into negotiations until we get everything we think we are entitled to. Just like 2010!!!!!

We lost everything and gained nothing. Just in line premium alone we have EACH lost out on over $40k !!!!

Pilots didn’t get USair medical but we will?

It kills me listening to guys saying by the book (what AA requires us to do)so we can have power like the pilots.

Pilots are professionals all the time and by the book all the time, when they’re upset they don’t work OT. Mention that to some AMT, they look at you like you just kicked a puppy. Just heard a union guy saying he doesn’t want transfers coming because it will ruin his 6 days. Union brothers taking care of union brothers.

The real question is, what are we asking for?
Once again the lower cost and better medical is only for IAM represented employees, other groups paid more and had inferior insurance at LUS. Pilots never had it.

It survived three rounds of concessions in two different bankruptcy cases, a JCBA with HP and Section 6 CBAs in 2014.

No reason to give it up while this company is make big profits.

Last edited:
It’s very close, 15 years of these concessions is long enough.
Nope, these bullet points are way off. We all deserve much, much better. The company is low balling and they know it. If we can`t get the deal we deserve in these times of profitability, we never will.

What I see in the amt think tank is, send them back into negotiations until we get everything we think we are entitled to. Just like 2010!!!!!

We lost everything and gained nothing. Just in line premium alone we have EACH lost out on over $40k !!!!

Pilots didn’t get USair medical but we will?

It kills me listening to guys saying by the book (what AA requires us to do)so we can have power like the pilots.

Pilots are professionals all the time and by the book all the time, when they’re upset they don’t work OT. Mention that to some AMT, they look at you like you just kicked a puppy. Just heard a union guy saying he doesn’t want transfers coming because it will ruin his 6 days. Union brothers taking care of union brothers.

The real question is, what are we asking for?
Yes I have to agree the Usair medical is probably gone. The question you have to ask yourselves, what do you guys do work wise that the company needs you to do, that gives you some bargaining power, if you know your medical is going to change, then gain something for it, I would want station protections for a change in my medical plan. The only reason SWA has moved was they need ETOPS, and they need the Feds off their backs because of the AIR21 cases.

American Derails Negotiations:

In this period between scheduled negotiating sessions, the Association leadership met with American Airlines management principals in the hope of better understanding each other’s position on the outstanding issues that need to be resolved in order to conclude negotiations. Significant issues, including wages, job scope protection, pensions and medical benefits remain open.

The Association entered these meetings expecting to set the stage to conclude negotiations in our next full negotiating session. If American management had that same goal, a tentative agreement to present to you for your consideration and vote would have been close. Unfortunately, American management had a different plan.

American Airlines Executive Vice President Steven Johnsen, who had never participated in a single negotiating session since opening proposals were shared more than two years ago, led the discussions for the company. Johnsen’s presence not only failed to bring us closer to an agreement, but he single handedly derailed the significant and steady progress that both sides had been making in these negotiations. As a result of Johnsen injecting himself in the process, we are now further away from a tentative agreement than we were a month ago.

Johnsen, who American Airlines paid more than $30 million over the last four years, delivered the message that American could not afford to provideproper healthcare, job security and retirementincome for Association members.

In discussing profit sharing, he said no improvements were possible. This completelycontradicts CEO Doug Parker who acknowledged American’s sub-par profit sharing scheme in a discussion with employees on January 18, 2018 and said it had to be improved in negotiations.

American Airlines is demanding that legacy US Airways members lose the healthcare that theyearned through a strike and which has survived two bankruptcies. The Association’s position is that the better healthcare should be extended to cover all Association members, the cost of whichwould be less than the annual compensation of the carrier’s top three officers.

Johnsen also refused to discuss defined benefit pensions for Association members. Instead, he wants to mandate major employee concessions when the airline is making more than $3 billion a year in pre-tax profits.

Negotiating is a process where both parties engage in discussions to reach a common agreement. There must be give and take from both sides. Steven Johnsen is not interested in negotiating. He is not interested in agreement. He is only interested in the Association acquiescing to his will. The Association, however, responded to his demands appropriately, which resulted in Johnsen having a tantrum, leaving his other company negotiators in the lurch and storming out of the room.

Steven Johnsen’s presence has marked a dramaticshift from the productive discussions we had beenhaving with American’s experienced negotiators. In these meetings Johnsen displayed a uniquecombination of arrogance and ignorance that will prevent us from reaching an agreement.

The entire Association negotiating committee will meet next week in Washington, D.C. to discuss the sudden and insulting shift American has taken. We will also discuss the coordinated mobilization of the Association’s more than 30,000 members in response to Steven Johnsen’s deliberate sabotaging of your career, your future and your contract negotiations.

The Association is committed to quickly concluding negotiations. But we must have a willing partner across the table to do so.

Fraternally,
Alex Garcia,
TWU International Executive Vice President
TWU/IAM Association Director

Sito Pantoja
IAM General Vice President
TWU/IAM Association Vice Director

You know what weez, that's almost exactly what just happened in our last nego sessions March 6-8. The company sent in this new vp of labor relations, McCrady, and he blew up in front of everybody, disrespected the nego cmte on AMFA's side of the table, embarrassed himself for all to see and made Mike V's word look like crap. Same exact thing happened to us, we were getting somewhere and they threw in McCrady who massively derailed everything so the nego cmte sent a letter to Mike and our CEO asking them to remove McCrady from the table so they can continue on with productive discussions, we might have had a T/A if it wasn't for McCrady involving himself at the table.
Sorry for the derailment in your alls nego's and hopefully the asso. will get it worked out to keep him out. Must be a nego's tactic that companies use to stall even longer. If ya think about it, ours, if we come to a T/A in April just removed the payout into 2 quarter instead of 1st quarter. Big difference in revenue income in these two quarters.

You know what weez, that's almost exactly what just happened in our last nego sessions March 6-8. The company sent in this new vp of labor relations, McCrady, and he blew up in front of everybody, disrespected the nego cmte on AMFA's side of the table, embarrassed himself for all to see and made Mike V's word look like crap. Same exact thing happened to us, we were getting somewhere and they threw in McCrady who massively derailed everything so the nego cmte sent a letter to Mike and our CEO asking them to remove McCrady from the table so they can continue on with productive discussions, we might have had a T/A if it wasn't for McCrady involving himself at the table.
Sorry for the derailment in your alls nego's and hopefully the asso. will get it worked out to keep him out. Must be a nego's tactic that companies use to stall even longer. If ya think about it, ours, if we come to a T/A in April just removed the payout into 2 quarter instead of 1st quarter. Big difference in revenue income in these two quarters.

It’s ok swamt I did notice that and thought about it pretty much the second after the letter came out how similar the two situations were as if we really are caught in the middle of some type of theatrical production here.

But it’s still only the Company’s who can get us all to deals and deals we’ll pass since they own the bank accounts, not any of the Unions.

The healthcare issue is one thing, but what really concerns me is what the Association released in their letter about seeking s DB pension. If you recall the Association document explicitly stated that's it's objective is to jam us all into the IAMNPF. Since the Association has determined that we don't need to know exactly what we are fighting for I fear the worst. Gary Peterson can claim all he wants about never agreeing to take that back to the membetship, the fact is he has no statuatory authority to stop the Association from doing whatever they want. Let's face it the Association has done nothing to earn our trust, they promised a vote, then slipped in without a vote. They promised that we would benefit from the combined strength of both unions, but while the TWU set up demonstrations the IAM did nothing, we even saw IAM members praising Doug Parker, claiming he kept all his promises to USAIR workers , sure they went from being employees of a large conglomeration of Regional carriers to becoming employees of the largest carrier in the world, and on top of that their all in pay is around $10000 a year better than their TWU coworkers. So now we get a letter saying we should be outraged at the company for bringing in some guy who sabotaged negotiations because they won't agree to the medical and DB pension that they are asking for. To tell the truth I'm more outraged at the Association because they won't even tell us what we are fighting for as far as the pension. LET ME MAKE THIS CLEAR I WANT NO PART OF THE IAMNPF. We already know the company offered a 9% match, make it a contribution and add a few percentage points (Pilots get 17%) and as far as I'm concerned put this item to bed. If they want to allow IAM members to divert theirs into the IAMNPF fine, but I want no part of it.

Well said Bob. I really do think it's time to get rid of them. At least put them on notice at this point and tell them if this asso. does not deliver the ILC for the mechanics, they will get replaced. This way hopefully they will not just agree to everything like they have in the past.
Very good question and your correct. Every 2 years they said they would change control and I don't think they did that, sounds to me like the IAM is still running the asso.
Welcome back Bob.

Got that in my company email today.

And again they claim it's industry leading but where are the numbers? I smell more lies about industry leading. And who does the co use for industry leading, are they using SWA? Are they using FedEx and UPS?? Kind of strange how AA and SWA are all of a sudden trying to come to agreements before the other does.

That was not included in the company's info. Might be another concession for you guys. If they didn't mention it then I would say it's not there. Nobody else at AA has any kind of retiree medical option so I would think they would not allow any AMTs to have it either. Just a guess.
OG, just fyi, we have it at SWA where we can turn in something like 700-720 hours of sick time for 5 years of insurance at age 60 to carry us to medicade coverage.

Speak for your self 700 I see the IAM game f the twu members. I’m ready to sign a card yeah AMFA has been in talks with southwest for over 5 years . But they have it better at sw then us twu guys do. Yes our pay bumped but we only get 5 days sick first day each occurrence at 1/2 pay. 1.5 on 5 holidays no double and a half no double time on overtime either . The IAM never has backed us TWU members. I can go to amfa site and see what they and the company talked about. Twu I can not. I’m sick of the twu crap it’s got worse with the iam now screwing us. And south west like AA want to many give backs . But I see AMFA Has gave in some trying to get southwest to move some. So you can take your iam love and AMFA hate and put it you know where . Just liked the iam screwed Boeing pension not even in bk. With there cheap second vote after Boeing iam members turned it down on first vote.
Conhead, sorry to hear the negative update. Looks like both our "new guys" that placed themselves at the table were complete failures. Hopefully McCrady will no longer be allowed to attend ours. Hopefully Johnson no longer attends yours as well. Good luck, hope we all get new contracts sometime this year.

It’s ok swamt I did notice that and thought about it pretty much the second after the letter came out how similar the two situations were as if we really are caught in the middle of some type of theatrical production here.

But it’s still only the Company’s who can get us all to deals and deals we’ll pass since they own the bank accounts, not any of the Unions.
I really do think the two companies are in talks with each other about nego's. Except for UPS we are the last 2 group of mechanics.

Well said Bob. I really do think it's time to get rid of them. At least put them on notice at this point and tell them if this asso. does not deliver the ILC for the mechanics, they will get replaced. This way hopefully they will not just agree to everything like they have in the past.
Very good question and your correct. Every 2 years they said they would change control and I don't think they did that, sounds to me like the IAM is still running the asso.
Welcome back Bob.

And again they claim it's industry leading but where are the numbers? I smell more lies about industry leading. And who does the co use for industry leading, are they using SWA? Are they using FedEx and UPS?? Kind of strange how AA and SWA are all of a sudden trying to come to agreements before the other does.

SWAMP here you go again. You just CAN NOT STOP can you?

Why don’t you write the same EXACT words about your F’ing Union?

I have to start doing the 5 1/2 year thing again?

Are you a Mental Retard? Stop attacking any one else’s Union until yours can produce something of its own!!!!!!!!

I really do think the two companies are in talks with each other about nego's. Except for UPS we are the last 2 group of mechanics.

SWAMP go back to your thread. I’m about to start polluting it again.

You did it again. You MENTALLY don’t have the ability to stop.

SWAMP here you go again. You just CAN NOT STOP can you?

Why don’t you write the same EXACT words about your F’ing Union?

I have to start doing the 5 1/2 year thing again?

Are you a Mental Retard? Stop attacking any one else’s Union until yours can produce something of its own!!!!!!!!
Dippy Dave, this is a MAINTENANCE thread, and SWAMT is invited to comment here as much as he wants on AMT issues because he is a fellow AMT.

If you don't like that, then drag your deranged ass back over on your RAMPER thread that you live on day and night and stay there. Your opinions on AMT issues mean nothing.

BTW, we at AA have lived under a 15 year bankruptcy contract, and that's a damn lot longer than a 5 year pay freeze that SWA has imposed on the AMTs.

Take a hike.

Last edited:
Glad to see Gary Peterson finally pi$$ed off. Also glad we don't have to vote on this crap. No buyout should ever be part of a TA as we have been hosed too many times by the people who vote for the buyout and leave the rest of us holding the bag of excrement. Good job Gary.

The recent proposal from the company was an insult to our profession. The IAM gained nothing, lost pension and medical. I’ll keep what I have. If I have to wait another year I’m willing.

Back