Alaska will get rid of Virgin by end of 2019

Discussion in 'Regional & National Airlines' started by swamt, Mar 23, 2017.

1. swamt

swamt Veteran

I think a bad decision. But I do not know the amount Alaska is paying Branson for the royalty stake in the name. One thing I did like to hear from Branson was that if Alaska does release the name, Branson will in fact bring his airline back.

Virgin America will disappear into Alaska Airlines in 2019

2. swamt

swamt Veteran

Well, well, looks like the Name disappearing will happen sooner than later. In the article above it was mentioned by end of 2019 (I know, it still is) and in the one below they are now saying as of 4-24-18, Virgin will be gone. Wonder if Branson will hold to his word and get another airline or even his old airline (Virgin) back? Might be a lot harder to start an airline with all the mergers we've had. But I am sure Branson will do it as long as he is not too terribly busy with his other adventures and rebuilding his island.

Virgin America to take its final bow next spring

3. jimntx

jimntx Veteran

If Virgin America was not making it and became purchase fodder before, what makes Branson think he can do the same thing all over again and make money this time? Doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results is one of the first signs of insanity.

4. eolesen

eolesen Veteran

Branson is a blowhard and a publicity hog. As long as ALK owns the web domains associated to VX, Branson won't have much of a way to promote a replacement brand.

I'm also pretty certain Alaska can keep the trademarks tied up in court for a decade or so.