American Airlines: I'll Never Fly Again!

Gruntled

Dec 18, 2010
American Airlines is charging me $25 for the 1st checked bag & $35 for the 2nd bag per person each way....ARE YOU KIDDING ME??? So if my wife and I each check one bag it will cost us $100, just for our BAGS! It's not enough that American Airlines is charging us to fly with them; now they are making our bags buy a ticket too! Do I have to pay extra if I have to go to the bathroom on the airplane too? How about if I talk on the airplane...do you charge for that too?? I'll never fly with them again. American Airlines, you suck! Next time it's SOUTHWEST for me!

Haven't flown on a legacy carrier in a while, right? They all charge about the same for checked baggage.

Jim

American Airlines is charging me $25 for the 1st checked bag & $35 for the 2nd bag per person each way....ARE YOU KIDDING ME??? So if my wife and I each check one bag it will cost us $100, just for our BAGS! It's not enough that American Airlines is charging us to fly with them; now they are making our bags buy a ticket too! Do I have to pay extra if I have to go to the bathroom on the airplane too? How about if I talk on the airplane...do you charge for that too?? I'll never fly with them again. American Airlines, you suck! Next time it's SOUTHWEST for me!
If you fly First class or Business class your bags are free.... Southwest????

This is what you, the flying public, has brought upon yourselves by demanding that airfares stay ridiculously low. Paying extra fees for miscellaneous items is the price you pay to maintain cheap airfares. I'd love to see all the extra fees go away, as long as airfares are raised to cover what it costs our company to get you from point A to point B and still make a profit. I've been supplementing your low airfares for years now with my stagnant salary. Now it's time for someone else to tow the line. It might as well be you. I'm tapped out.

If your looking for sympathy here son,----- boy have you come to the wrong forum! :rolleyes: Oh! by the way, if ever you decide to fly overseas, (international) remember, Southwest don't go there!!!----- Have a good day!

Gruntled,

Blame the internet.

Lowball airline XYZ cuts corners everywhere, offers nothing and charges a ridiculously low fare that takes up the first 3 pages of any search engine. Airline ABC (Like AA) matches the fare but has to charge for other services to make up the difference. if they're aren't on the first three search pages, they've discovered that nobody goes to page 4, the customer clicks and buys somewhere on the first 3.

That's my coloring book/Kindergarten level understanding of the problem.

This is the airline industry in the 21st Century: customers want everything but don't want to pay for anything and airlines want to charge for everything and provide nothing.

This is what you, the flying public, has brought upon yourselves by demanding that airfares stay ridiculously low. Paying extra fees for miscellaneous items is the price you pay to maintain cheap airfares. I'd love to see all the extra fees go away, as long as airfares are raised to cover what it costs our company to get you from point A to point B and still make a profit. I've been supplementing your low airfares for years now with my stagnant salary. Now it's time for someone else to tow the line. It might as well be you. I'm tapped out.

Spot on Spanky!
:p :p
In 1985 I purchased a one way SFO-CMH for $300
What should that cost today?
$610.05
Today I can buy a one way ticket on AA for $119 (+bag fees). :blink: :wacko:
I am sure that if people would be willing to pony up $600, the bags could fly free... :D :D :D

B) xUT

IMHO, you came to the wrong place for a hugg... B)

P.S.
25+35 <> 100
Just Saying.... :rolleyes:

IMHO, you came to the wrong place for a hugg... B)

P.S.
25+35 <> 100
Just Saying.... :rolleyes:

If the OP and his wife check one bag each, then they will pay $100 total for their round trip (4 x 25 = 100).

The OP may be a complainer, but the math is sound.

If the complaining OP was elite (even gold), then the bags would be free.

I almost never check bags, but when I do, elite status means they are still free.

If the OP and his wife check one bag each, then they will pay $100 total for their round trip (4 x 25 = 100).

The OP may be a complainer, but the math is sound.

If the complaining OP was elite (even gold), then the bags would be free.

I almost never check bags, but when I do, elite status means they are still free.

Thanks, forgot the round trip thingy. :p :p :p

The cost of air travel in real dollars (adjusted for inflation) has actually fallen since mid-late 20th century while airlines are in an increasingly competitive environment with higher fuel and labor costs. You are not purchasing your bags a "ticket" rather you are purchasing a service. Many amenities and services that airlines once offered for free are now being charged for. As suggested by others, fly Southwest, fly F/J, earn elite status or simply pack lightly. Honestly, I only check luggage if Im traveling more than 7 days which is rare for me and I'm easily able to lightly pack my belongings into a roller board and my briefcase-so can you.

Josh

As others have said here pal, go somewhere else for a hug. If you can`t afford it then drive. My family have subsidized you the self entitled flying public long enough. Last time I checked our load factors you will not be missed. Now you are dismissed !!!!!!!!!!!!!

Back