American looking to "right-size" the company and staffing levels for the Fall and 2021

I still see us reducing flights but if the loads start coming back it is possible there will be fewer layoffs but AA came into this fat and we all knew that

i do believe there will be some lay-offs. i also believe that regardless of what the govt. does with hero/hazard bonus, parker and co. will give the workers who worked during the virus crisis some type of bonus - maybe cash or confirmed seat travel some time next year.

that hero/hazard bonus has gone from $25k to $10k in the latest bill by the house of reps.

Probably old news but my father stated AA announced 30% layoff in maintenance last week.

Also I have heard that you no longer are in a shop but go where your seniority places you.

So you may go from shop to shop depending on how the bid falls every month (or 3 or 6.... whatever)..

Is that true?

How in the hell do they expect to train anyone under those conditions?

I would appreciate some clarification on this.

Probably old news but my father stated AA announced 30% layoff in maintenance last week.

Also I have heard that you no longer are in a shop but go where your seniority places you.

So you may go from shop to shop depending on how the bid falls every month (or 3 or 6.... whatever)..

Is that true?

There has been no official number/percentage given in regards to Maintenance or any other workgroup for that matter. 30% for management is true. Somehow, that number is being circulated for all cuts across all seniority lists. I think folks spent their bonus checks on crystal balls and rumor mills.

Reactions: Rogallo
aa does rely on intl. in my station, intl. flights (aa and one world) add a few thousand connecting pax a day, enough to support 3-4 banks during the summer.

united's issues were that they went too negative and their major hubs are in cities in comprehensive shut-down states.

when this is all over and the business pax returns, they make up ground on aa. ua went after business pax, ala delta...the opposite of what parker has done with this airline.

I didn’t say AA doesn’t rely on Intl, but that DL and UA are more so plus they both have more wide bodies than AA so they won’t be filling those seats on domestic routes.
And AA doesn’t have as big a presence in Asia as they do either

Is that true?

Man, I gotta' CHUCKLE La', if some OKIES got sent to JFK or BOSTON.

But if So, fear not, plenty of flts. from BOS/DFW !

Ah,

YOU care to 'Hold Your BREATH' Swamt, until any MAX rolls down a runway in America, with human beings on it ?????
Agree totally. Have you noticed that the airlines that have the MAXes on hand have quit talking about their being used in the foreseeable future. There is a Public Relations problem that may be insurmountable. People want to know what else Boeing and the FAA have kept secret. I think that even if they are brought onto the active list, they will be taken off ASAP. I haven't heard a soul say "I can hardly wait to fly on one of the new MAX airplanes." Changing the model name from 737MAX8 to 737-8B (or whatever) will not solve this probem.

Agree totally. Have you noticed that the airlines that have the MAXes on hand have quit talking about their being used in the foreseeable future. There is a Public Relations problem that may be insurmountable. People want to know what else Boeing and the FAA have kept secret. I think that even if they are brought onto the active list, they will be taken off ASAP. I haven't heard a soul say "I can hardly wait to fly on one of the new MAX airplanes." Changing the model name from 737MAX8 to 737-8B (or whatever) will not solve this probem.

I have an in-law that’s a 35 year captain with LUV...he told me almost a year ago to date that the Max would probably never fly again and most pilots wouldn’t get in the seat on them anyway...I was skeptical, but he’s proven me wrong so far

I have an in-law that’s a 35 year captain with LUV...he told me almost a year ago to date that the Max would probably never fly again and most pilots wouldn’t get in the seat on them anyway...I was skeptical, but he’s proven me wrong so far
I saw a pilot analysis of the aircraft and from what he said there is nothing wrong physically with the aircraft. It is a software problem. I don't see scrapping millions, possibly billions of dollars of aircraft over a software problem.

I saw a pilot analysis of the aircraft and from what he said there is nothing wrong physically with the aircraft. It is a software problem. I don't see scrapping millions, possibly billions of dollars of aircraft over a software problem.
Let's see... the engines moved outboard on the wings and tilted up. Nah, there ain't no problem aerodynamically with the aircraft. Just need a computer from controlling it from over rotating and the excessive loading on the flight controls when it reaches this envelope of flight.

Let's see... the engines moved outboard on the wings and tilted up. Nah, there ain't no problem aerodynamically with the aircraft. Just need a computer from controlling it from over rotating and the excessive loading on the flight controls when it reaches this envelope of flight.
I am not a pilot and I am not an aeronautical engineer. I don't claim any expertise here. I was only sharing the conclusion of his analysis. However this guy is a pretty famous Youtuber who is also a pilot. He seems pretty knowledgeable and goes into great detail. If you want I can go dig that video up and post it here.

EDIT!!!

I went ahead and looked that video up. He actually references why they moved the engines and changed the angle. Feel free to watch it. He states he flew 737's for 17 years.

Last edited:
I am not a pilot and I am not an aeronautical engineer. I don't claim any expertise here. I was only sharing the conclusion of his analysis. However this guy is a pretty famous Youtuber who is also a pilot. He seems pretty knowledgeable and goes into great detail. If you want I can go dig that video up and post it here.

EDIT!!!

I went ahead and looked that video up. He actually references why they moved the engines and changed the angle. Feel free to watch it. He states he flew 737's for 17 years.

He flew the 737 for years and then came the MAX. We all know why the engines were moved. Boeing wanted to keep a 50 year old airframe and complete with the A320 series. The rest is history. The MAX version of the 737 will be the shortest lived version of a commercial aircraft.

E, help me here please. Note the bolded section of your post above. How can AA have more available seats than DL and AA? Did you mean maybe UA has more available seats than DL and AA? or AA has more available than DL and UA?

Available = what they put out for sale (regardless of what's sold/unsold).

AA has more domestic capacity, but both WN and DL carry more domestic passengers. UA is in fourth on both metrics.

MAX production resumed last week, so I suspect Boeing has a little more info on where recertification is than anyone is talking about publicly. I did hear one airline CEO say they'll gladly take the MAX's they have awaiting delivery and retire older airplanes.

I don't either E. It will take more to get people back on them and it may take a little while, but I too don't see them scrapping them.

MAX production resumed last week, so I suspect Boeing has a little more info on where recertification is than anyone is talking about publicly. I did hear one airline CEO say they'll gladly take the MAX's they have awaiting delivery and retire older airplanes.
You sound like you are talking about our ceo there.
Also hearing we are sucking up all the cancelations from all the airlines that have canceled to speed up a/c retirements and get the more efficient aircraft in the air. At the deal Boeing made our company, to stay and take on the new Max when done could not be passed on. It will eventually pay off in the long run. And this company always looks far out into the long run for long term growth not short term growth.
Like Jim said though, it will take a bunch of advertising to get the folks back on them and cofortable...

Last edited:

Latest posts