American looking to "right-size" the company and staffing levels for the Fall and 2021

keep trying. we would still like to leave.
Not trying anything I couldn't care less if you leave in fact I recommend it.Just pointing out grass isn't always greener...I've maintained all unions are basically the same and you with the time you got left till retirement won't see any change

' LAYOFFS/SCHMLAYOFFS ".
If you have a seniority number, USE The F Thing !

No reduced hours of Pay ! NO give backs ! NO GUILT about Junior Employees ! And, if you have to xfer out of state, and come home on your days off, so be it. If you can't stand the HEAT, then GET-OUT of the F Kitchen !! IT is what it is !

REMEMBER. There was a Time that YOU were on the bottom of the occ. seniority list, and in a vulnerable position !! It's called Paying your Dues !!
I disagree with you so much I'm trying to read sarcasm into your post.

On a brighter side. Come july AA going to run close to 45% of flights compared to a year ago. Even though its leisure travel I hope that this is a positive sign n may be a long shot not as severe layoffs as some fear.

I disagree with you so much I'm trying to read sarcasm into your post.

Why should I G. A. F. about a persons juniority, when no-one cared about Mine, when I came aboard ????
Last-in, FIRST-out. I moved 4 friggin' times.(BOS/ORD/EWR/ORD/BDL) No Sweat, because I knew that, that was always a possibility !
Now I did encounter gent's from Everywhere except the Northeast, that damm near had nervous break downs when the Northeast was their only option. They just COULDN't leave their bass boat and fishin' behind. And it wasn't the Cold weather, either. So many of the 'MEN', wouldn't even go to MIA !! Friggin' puzzy's !!!

' LAYOFFS/SCHMLAYOFFS ".
If you have a seniority number, USE The F Thing !

No reduced hours of Pay ! NO give backs ! NO GUILT about Junior Employees ! And, if you have to xfer out of state, and come home on your days off, so be it. If you can't stand the HEAT, then GET-OUT of the F Kitchen !! IT is what it is !

REMEMBER. There was a Time that YOU were on the bottom of the occ. seniority list, and in a vulnerable position !! It's called Paying your Dues !!

You guys can only hope this will be the asso's position. IF they do as in the past they may end just agreeing to what the co. wants, but we will see with the IAM running things for now, THAT could be the saving grace to no concessions, maybe?

On a brighter side. Come july AA going to run close to 45% of flights compared to a year ago. Even though its leisure travel I hope that this is a positive sign n may be a long shot not as severe layoffs as some fear.
Indeed. Some better news starting to merge.
SWA is planning on full schedule by end of year to match as we flew end of 2019. Hope all the airlines (at least domestically) can do the same. IF we are all at full schedules by year end, domestically, could that be enough to avoid layoffs? Not sure, but in hopes. If they are still throwing around that 30% size reduction of co. come after new year, then I would expect some rifs coming. The question is, will it start day one Oct. 1st, or will the airlines weather thru the rest of the year if we continue to get flights increased? I really think the next couple-few months will be the tell tale of what happens going forward. If summer flights do not pick up we are in for the rough ride. Let's all hope for some big airfare sales inducing some long awaited travel for people being all locked up for a while... :)

In short time we will see how well or badly written our current JCBA is. When the company begins to implement the details of the articles that need to be put forth especially in the coming weeks leading up to the beginning of the fall of 2020 then and only then the membership will begin to rise in anger. We all voted this in to get a contract in place. Many of us didn't thoroughly read all the articles and LOA's. Many were fixated on the compensation. Many knew what was in it but didn't want more wasted negotiations to continue. When the company begins to move forward don't blame the company. The association screwed us. The association dragged this out over the IAM medical and pension. There were other sticky points but these were the major ones. Now we sleep in our bed. Let's just hope the dysfunctional association doesn't agree to pay cuts over furloughs to save union dues. If we had a contract three years ago the compensation was always there. Now we finally begin to be compensated and it's possible it may not even last six months. Worse than 2003.
As far as my fellow title 1 and 2 co workers go, we had chances in the past to get out of this dysfunctional association. Still think we should let the dysfunctional association work through the upcoming concessions?
Remember the dysfunctional association screwed us out of retro for a signing bonus to be fair to all title groups. Fair? We need our own negotiations with our own representation and representatives.
But that's for another day because we have members with their heads in a very dark foul stenched place.

Indeed. Some better news starting to merge.
SWA is planning on full schedule by end of year to match as we flew end of 2019. Hope all the airlines (at least domestically) can do the same. IF we are all at full schedules by year end, domestically, could that be enough to avoid layoffs? Not sure, but in hopes. If they are still throwing around that 30% size reduction of co. come after new year, then I would expect some rifs coming. The question is, will it start day one Oct. 1st, or will the airlines weather thru the rest of the year if we continue to get flights increased? I really think the next couple-few months will be the tell tale of what happens going forward. If summer flights do not pick up we are in for the rough ride. Let's all hope for some big airfare sales inducing some long awaited travel for people being all locked up for a while... :)
Wanted to add this article from Cranky, and posted by jimntx first. Interesting to say the least how Southwest is already focussing a different turn than the other airlines. Wondering if they will start changing their tones a bit? Remember, with the max's coming soon, SWA will be able to jump rather quickly and expand quickly back into a robust flying industry as lond as goes as planned and the flying does come back. It will get interesting how the other airlines react to how Southwest will move forward...

https://crankyflier.com/2020/06/01/southwest-gets-aggressive-while-others-cant/

Wanted to add this article from Cranky, and posted by jimntx first. Interesting to say the least how Southwest is already focussing a different turn than the other airlines. Wondering if they will start changing their tones a bit? Remember, with the max's coming soon, SWA will be able to jump rather quickly and expand quickly back into a robust flying industry as lond as goes as planned and the flying does come back. It will get interesting how the other airlines react to how Southwest will move forward...

AA has an advantage as well in that of the big 3 it has a stronger domestic share.
I read an article that pointed this out, where UA and DL rely more on INTL, AA doesn’t as much.
Domestic will be back quicker and stronger and that give AA a better situation.
I still see us reducing flights but if the loads start coming back it is possible there will be fewer layoffs but AA came into this fat and we all knew that

AA has an advantage as well in that of the big 3 it has a stronger domestic share.
I read an article that pointed this out, where UA and DL rely more on INTL, AA doesn’t as much.
I still see us reducing flights but if the loads start coming back it is possible there will be fewer layoffs but AA came into this fat and we all knew that

Technically, AA has more AVAILABLE domestic seat miles than DL and AA, but it doesn't necessarily mean they fill those seats or do so profitably. The numbers available from DOT are clouded a bit by Skywest, who is big enough to report their own numbers separately

The question going forward will be whether or not the big three have seats in the right places. Having a lot of seats into business heavy markets (including conventions) won't help in the short term.

Last edited:

Ah,

YOU care to 'Hold Your BREATH' Swamt, until any MAX rolls down a runway in America, with human beings on it ?????

Ah,

YOU care to 'Hold Your BREATH' Swamt, until any MAX rolls down a runway in America, with human beings on it ?????
No way. Too many speed bumps and new "software" issues other than the original that they were originally grounded for. The Max's coming back date has been put off close to 1/2 dozen times in over a years time to date so far. So no, I can't hold my breath. Just saying IF they do come back out soon. LOL :)

Technically, AA has more AVAILABLE domestic seat miles than DL and AA, but it doesn't necessarily mean they fill those seats or do so profitably. The numbers available from DOT are clouded a bit by Skywest, who is big enough to report their own numbers separately

The question going forward will be whether or not the big three have seats in the right places. Having a lot of seats into business heavy markets (including conventions) won't help in the short term.

E, help me here please. Note the bolded section of your post above. How can AA have more available seats than DL and AA? Did you mean maybe UA has more available seats than DL and AA? or AA has more available than DL and UA?

aa does rely on intl. in my station, intl. flights (aa and one world) add a few thousand connecting pax a day, enough to support 3-4 banks during the summer.

united's issues were that they went too negative and their major hubs are in cities in comprehensive shut-down states.

when this is all over and the business pax returns, they make up ground on aa. ua went after business pax, ala delta...the opposite of what parker has done with this airline.

Last edited: