American Maintenance Stations

What are Class 1 stations? What are the other stations that have techs?
There are 24 AMT staffed stations. AA does not run a stations with less than 15 AMTs not counting CCs. Not sure how US staffs.

That does not include the three base locations of TULE, DWH, and TAESL

Class 1 stations do B-cks and have inspectors and Avionics. They run 24/7

Class 2 stations do up to A-cks and can be midnights only or 24/7.

The class 3 and 4 I am not sure of anymore but I believe class 3 means oncall maintenance.

Class 1 stations as of today are DFW, JFK (maybe LGA but not sure), LAX, ORD, MIA, SFO, and STL.

Class 2, I am just not as sure. But I know SAT, AUS, ATL, TPA, MCO, SEA, ...... anyone want to add to the list?
Class 3 is AA staffed but only midnights. AA closed those down after the 1995 agreement. We got some ex-Aircal guys that used to work in ONT and that's what they told me.

Class 4 is contract maintenance only.

Recently, I learned that EL Paso will succumb to CONTRACT maint!!! Right now, the REPLACEMENTS, ABQ & ELP AMTs, are at DFW, in training to perform A, PS, 0909 checks, SIC # 1949 & 1979, and to perform maint OR deferrals, IAW GPM & fleet specific AMM. RII & Aicraft Release also!

I wonder where else the madam supervisor in Mr Prestifillipo's office is considering for contract maint?

Prestifilpo is at AA?

He was VP of maintenance at US and led the outsourcing.

Recently, I learned that EL Paso will succumb to CONTRACT maint!!! Right now, the REPLACEMENTS, ABQ & ELP AMTs, are at DFW, in training to perform A, PS, 0909 checks, SIC # 1949 & 1979, and to perform maint OR deferrals, IAW GPM & fleet specific AMM. RII & Aicraft Release also!

I wonder where else the madam supervisor in Mr Prestifillipo's office is considering for contract maint?

ELP has been contract maintenance since they pulled mechanics in the early 90s. El Paso was a STATION protected (not system protected) station. They cut a deal with the mechanics, gave em some pocket change to move to DFW. One stayed in ELP as a ground service mechanic who cross utilized as a mechanic as needed. I'm sure he retired a while ago as he was older than me.

I am sure the contractors you are seeing in training are just the latest batch, might be we switched contractors. I know Julie's used to be our contractor but the went under after their mechanic was killed by the 737,

But, this isn't new news.

Are there unlicensed techs (avionics or otherwise) without an a&p working in line stations?

Very, very few. The ones I know about were grandfathered decades ago or they lost their license and a deal was cut to let them do support work like ladders and bikes.

But there is talk of SRP (or whatever they are calling them in this contract) doing interiors on B cks and I cks.

There may be more class twos opening after the merge. 20 mainline departures per day is the current threshold. So, lets say AA currently has 15, and USAir has 8 departures - well then you have another station needing to be staffed by AMFA A&Ps from the new AA.

OK. OSM (new name for SRP) are only stationed at Maint Bases(TULE & DWH)!! Even at MBs, they were NOT allowed to work on aircraft in the Bay/Dock. Only A&P OSMs (or AMTs without lisence premium), were allowed to work on the aircraft, usually in OVERTIME or FIELD TRIP situations!

Unless the TWU rolls over (again), there will not be ANY NON A&Ps on aircraft!!

Who is the contract maintenance provider in ABQ and ELP?

Who is the contract maintenance provider in ABQ and ELP?

Probably that Al-Qaeda owned "Jet Pro" outfit. Staffed by guys that couldn't get on with an airline due to failed drug screening, and or unable to pass a background check. Not to mention - zero self respect!

Probably that Al-Qaeda owned "Jet Pro" outfit. Staffed by guys that couldn't get on with an airline due to failed drug screening, and or unable to pass a background check. Not to mention - zero self respect!
We have a Jet Pro out here in SNA. Probably the same outfit. We get a lot of SNA field trips cause they're always in over their heads if it's anything other then tray tables and seatback reclines. They get what they pay for.

OK. OSM (new name for SRP) are only stationed at Maint Bases(TULE & DWH)!! Even at MBs, they were NOT allowed to work on aircraft in the Bay/Dock. Only A&P OSMs (or AMTs without lisence premium), were allowed to work on the aircraft, usually in OVERTIME or FIELD TRIP situations!

Unless the TWU rolls over (again), there will not be ANY NON A&Ps on aircraft!!

Attachment 11.6 of the agreement states they can work cabin interiors on the docs.

And unlicensed mechanics have and still do work aircraft in line stations. There was an older guy named Rudy who worked avionics, who hired in without license and never obtained one. Died a few years back. But there are others I won't call out.

Your abundent used of exclamations points doesn't change facts.

How exactly does working contract maintenance means a fellow mechanic has zero self respect? Lots of people need jobs. Most airlines have dumped thousands of mechanics off their payrolls.

I have worked beside several of them on field trips. Even worked with a layed off United mechanic working a contract job. He earned $30 an hour and it was close enough he could drive home on weekends to see his family.

Back