AMFA versues industrial unions all mechanics all airlines

lets debate this issue
Well we are going into year six at SWA so don't know where this ends. Plus AMFA doesn't have lawyers on staff, like the large industrial unions, so it forces dues money to spent on attorney fees, our fees for Seham in 2016 , was $316,000. AMFA also doesn't have a strike fund even though strikes are rare. Let the debate begin.

Way more membership control of the union with AMFA. You can remove and replace local officers as well as National officers (international officers at the industrial unions) by a membership vote and not have to remove the entire union just to rid yourself a certain position by an officer. Dues are lower with AMFA. Observers allowed at the nego. table to see how the company is really nego. Much more communications with AMFA as far as updating the membership on anything. Way more input from the membership with all the internal cmte's. being made up of AMFA members. Amfa members set the by-laws of the union not the international. There's more but that's just off the top of my head for now.

Way more membership control of the union with AMFA. You can remove and replace local officers as well as National officers (international officers at the industrial unions) by a membership vote and not have to remove the entire union just to rid yourself a certain position by an officer. Dues are lower with AMFA. Observers allowed at the nego. table to see how the company is really nego. Much more communications with AMFA as far as updating the membership on anything. Way more input from the membership with all the internal cmte's. being made up of AMFA members. Amfa members set the by-laws of the union not the international. There's more but that's just off the top of my head for now.
American guys your turn there is good and bad, we have transparency, true, unfortunately not the horsepower of the larger unions, I don't hate AMFA, I just want better results.

American guys your turn there is good and bad, we have transparency, true, unfortunately not the horsepower of the larger unions, I don't hate AMFA, I just want better results.

In my opinon better results are not with the larger Industrial Unions. The do not specifically look out for the A&P Mechanics and related. The method of these unions is to treat every member the same regardless of their skill. It is the way they do things.

I favor industrial over amfa. Don't like mechanics negotiating and don't like observers sitting in on negotiations. I think it's more counter productive than productive.

In my opinon better results are not with the larger Industrial Unions. The do not specifically look out for the A&P Mechanics and related. The method of these unions is to treat every member the same regardless of their skill. It is the way they do things.
I really think it has more to do with what management team you are dealing with. What do you consider more successful an Industrial union that gets you small increases in pay and everyone keeps moving up the,ladder, you have some changes in work rules, but you don't lose to many postions, and you have more members. Or you are at a company like SWA , you are fighting with management for over 5 years. You are paid well, but your membership numbers are small, because they have always contracted work out. Also you don't have that much leverage, because of the membership not caring because of what they are paid. You tell me which method will come to an agreement faster.

How is that relief effort worked out with the devastation from hurricanes with the unions??
AMFA 11 had a go fund me account , which I contributed to, with a goal of $30,000, I don't know how much they raised for the Houston relief, what has the Unions at American done ?

JMHO & PO,
Doesn't matter any more.
Pick one, the results will be the same.
After the NWA strike failure, no union will strike again.
What you fail to recognize, is the "POWER" of unions is to withhold their labor to force the company to negotiate. It will never happen again and the company is not intimated by idol threats.
So, take your 'Strike if Provoked" T-shirts and wash your cars, sell the coffin and blow up rat.
You have no leverage.
:cool: xUT

JMHO & PO,
Doesn't matter any more.
What you fail to recognize, is the "POWER" of unions is to withhold their labor to force the company to negotiate. It will never happen again and the company is not intimated by idol threats.
So, take your 'Strike if Provoked" T-shirts and wash your cars, sell the coffin and blow up rat.
You have no leverage.
I guess that's why the members are getting mad over here at SWA, not everyone, because no matter what union you have ,you will always have the die hards. You don't want to give the store away, but you don't want to wait forever to get a raise. I think most of us in reality , realize we do not have leverage, because we know we would never strike. Plus lets face it AMFA doesn't have the numbers of the membership, like the Teamsters does. I mean it was a nice idea to only represent mechanics, but we also have the cleaners, not in our contact. Maint control, training, GSE, mechanics, inspection, tech services, and facilities mechanics.

You live in a world where people think they deserve 15 dollars an hour to flip hamburgers.

JMHO & PO,
Doesn't matter any more.
You have no leverage.
Then why have traditional unions? Employee unions can do the same thing? The railroad labor act does not forbid replacement workers. That's the big problem?

Against better judgement I will reply. The concept of the AMFA was to eventually represent all of the mechanics for all the airlines in the US. When the movement was growing the airlines and the government along with the unions saw that as a threat and it had to be squashed. That is why all three came together to kill the momentum that was catching on when Northwest mechanics joined. It was imperative to stop the momentum and make the AMFA look like a failure. The remaining unions developed strategy’s to keep their membership hostage with ramifications to change representation. As long as we are divided up with the current system with the corruption in top leadership we will continue to get played. All the unions sat by and watched as the companies had the RLA watered down to their favor. Major failure by the unions. So in my opinion they all blow including the AMFA.