AMR Happy Hour

Hopeful

Veteran
Dec 21, 2002
http://www.thestreet.com/_yahoo/story/10925481/1/american-airlines-cuts-holiday-drink-prices.html?cm_ven=YAHOO&cm_cat=FREE&cm_ite=NA

Catchy. I couldn't help but to start hearing Alan Jackson's "It's Five O'Clock Somewhere" in my head when I read this earlier today... Would be nice if they offered it on all flights between 5 and 5:59...

Catchy. I couldn't help but to start hearing Alan Jackson's "It's Five O'Clock Somewhere" in my head when I read this earlier today... Would be nice if they offered it on all flights between 5 and 5:59...

Or at least expand the hours for the early birds!

This is great - let's add to the "drunk and obnoxious" problem. Is someone hoping for more the TSA (Thousands Standing Around) can do?

The effects of alcohol are multiplied by the lesser pressure in the cabin (as compared to sea-level).

This is great - let's add to the "drunk and obnoxious" problem....The effects of alcohol are multiplied by the lesser pressure in the cabin (as compared to sea-level).

To think that reducing the price for a single hour for a can of beer or a miniature bottle of booze to the still exorbitant $5 is going to add to a "drunk and obnoxious" problem is about as far-fetched a reaction as any I can imagine.

How many additional cart services are the FA going to do to during this short period? Problems on domestic flights are not IMO caused by Buy-on-Board but by pre-departure consumption and the effect of altitude cited by you.

To think that reducing the price for a single hour for a can of beer or a miniature bottle of booze to the still exorbitant $5 is going to add to a "drunk and obnoxious" problem is about as far-fetched a reaction as any I can imagine.

How many additional cart services are the FA going to do to during this short period? Problems on domestic flights are not IMO caused by Buy-on-Board but by pre-departure consumption and the effect of altitude cited by you.
Back in the day when I thought I needed a drink or three for the flight (and actually paying for the ticket), it was nothing to buy two or three of the little bottles - some 'gents' needed more. That was years ago, however.

I don't care to argue the point but not knowing what the FAs are limited in serving quantity-wise anymore is the source of my ignorance. It was nothing to see people buying 3-4 of the mini-jugs on the FA's first vending pass.

I agree, but the happy hour pricing is for the duration of the flight as long as it departs within that one hour window:

Throughout December, the 5@5 happy hour will be available onboard domestic, Canada, Caribbean and Mexico flights scheduled to depart between 5 p.m. and 5:59 p.m. Customers will enjoy a savings of $1 on beer and $2 on liquor and wine as a thank you for their loyalty. Happy hour prices will be offered for the duration of the flight. As always, American serves complimentary non-alcoholic beverages onboard.

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/Its-Five-OClock-Somewhere-prnews-3562160474.html?x=0&.v=1

Still, I agree with you that the slight discount isn't going to lead to any substantial increase in drunkeness.

If AA was talking about an open bar (as in "free") for the duration of the flight, then I'd agree with Frank - many more would become intoxicated.

I agree, but the happy hour pricing is for the duration of the flight as long as it departs within that one hour window:

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/Its-Five-OClock-Somewhere-prnews-3562160474.html?x=0&.v=1

Still, I agree with you that the slight discount isn't going to lead to any substantial increase in drunkeness.

If AA was talking about an open bar (as in "free") for the duration of the flight, then I'd agree with Frank - many more would become intoxicated.

I'm inclined to think that it definitely will cause more people to become drunk and possibly belligerent. Some people will hear happy hour and lower prices and get loaded. AA is putting more liquor on the planes. Time will tell but I do think it will get out of control. Kind of the stupidest thing most of us have heard about in a long time. I'm surprised the FAA hasn't jumped on them for this promo. The whole objective has always been to limit onboard drunken behavior not to encourage it.

I can also see the FA workload increasing 2-3x as a result of the idea of happy hour too. It should be interesting. One thing is for sure; I won't be picking up any coach flights during that time period. No thanks. Those coach FAs are going to be going crazy with ringing call lights. Great thing to do to crews during the holiday period after delaying their raises so long. Real smart idea.

Saving $1 or $2 is going to get people to drink more? Don't think so. The people who were going to drink onboard are still going to drink onboard.

You guys said that taking credit cards was going to result in more drunks, too. Has that happened? The only reason liquor revenues are up is because 1) there's accountability with the OSRs and 2) prices have almost doubled.

Is this all we've got to compete against Delta and United? Happy hour? Oh, how innovative? How in the world did they come up with something with so much foresight? Meanwhile, Delta announced they were gonna fly BOS/JFK-CDG last week.

Oh and btw.....and starting in April AA is going down to 4 flights a day on JFK/LHR....142,100,104,106. I guess they needed to take a plane to use for LAX-Shanghai since it looks like those rumored 777's are not gonna happen. Oh, well. At least we have happy hour.

Oh and btw.....and starting in April AA is going down to 4 flights a day on JFK/LHR....142,100,104,106. I guess they needed to take a plane to use for LAX-Shanghai since it looks like those rumored 777's are not gonna happen. Oh, well. At least we have happy hour.

If you recall, AA/BA had to give up certain flight pairs to LHR in order to gain anti-trust immunity. . BA will also lose flights. The idea is between the both of them you might see hourly service after 6pm. They are each elimintaing overlapping flights. Currently AA operates 142 in the morning, 100,104,132 and 116 (not 106, that's the return flt number.) So if they are down to 4 flights a day, then they will probably lose 132.
This is no surprise given the demands of AI and Open Skies.

As for Delta staring BOS/JFK-CDG....So what. it's called competition. AA cannot be the exlusive carrier to the markets we now fly. the same goes for other cariers.

Oh and BTW, as of 11/18/10...AA flies 4x a day to MCO, 2x a day to FLL, added a MIA trip and a SJU trip and a 2nd LAS trip. All out of JFK.

If you recall, AA/BA had to give up certain flight pairs to LHR in order to gain anti-trust immunity. . BA will also lose flights. The idea is between the both of them you might see hourly service after 6pm. They are each elimintaing overlapping flights. Currently AA operates 142 in the morning, 100,104,132 and 116 (not 106, that's the return flt number.) So if they are down to 4 flights a day, then they will probably lose 132.
This is no surprise given the demands of AI and Open Skies.

As for Delta staring BOS/JFK-CDG....So what. it's called competition. AA cannot be the exlusive carrier to the markets we now fly. the same goes for other cariers.

Oh and BTW, as of 11/18/10...AA flies 4x a day to MCO, 2x a day to FLL, added a MIA trip and a SJU trip and a 2nd LAS trip. All out of JFK.

116 is losing its flight number to 106 and 104 is taking the time slot of 132. As far as MCO/FLL...bfd...we used to fly that out of LGA.

116 is losing its flight number to 106 and 104 is taking the time slot of 132. As far as MCO/FLL...bfd...we used to fly that out of LGA.

So, what's your point? You know that there would be flight losses with the BA/AA ATI and Open Skies thing....
All I know is there is increased flying out of JFK. Then in January there will be JFK-HND, and not sure of start dates, there will be a 2nd JFK-BCN and JFK-BUD.

As soon as the start dates are announced I am sure you will see an announcement and advertising as they did for another recent resumption t-255 JFK-GIG.

You stated Delta announced BOS/JFK-CDG as if it were the start of a WW3. Whoop-di--doo.. We already have two flights a day from JFK.

So, what's your point? You know that there would be flight losses with the BA/AA ATI and Open Skies thing....
All I know is there is increased flying out of JFK. Then in January there will be JFK-HND, and not sure of start dates, there will be a 2nd JFK-BCN and JFK-BUD.

As soon as the start dates are announced I am sure you will see an announcement and advertising as they did for another recent resumption t-255 JFK-GIG.

You stated Delta announced BOS/JFK-CDG as if it were the start of a WW3. Whoop-di--doo.. We already have two flights a day from JFK.

hmmm, glad to see we have at least one hopeful brick working for us. B)

My point is we are being trounced by Delta and CO/United in the New York market and elsewhere. We are so far behind as far as depth of service it isn't even funny. Wherever we retreat someone else swoops in and takes our business. We have only offered a tepid response with new flying. We have become the Chrysler of the airline industry and without being aggressive we are going to continue to lose high paying customers to our competition.....and business customers are going to fly an airline that goes where they want to go and not fly us because we have "happy hour". THAT'S my point.

Back