Another Competitor In Bk--

Art at ISP

Veteran
Aug 20, 2002
Dix Hills NY
www.ffocus.org
I just read that Fly I filed Chapter 11 this morning. While it was not unexpected, I think the concencus is it will rapidly evolve to a Chapter 7 liquidation.

While somewhat premature, and realizing that UA has much more to gain from Fly I's disappearance, what do you all think it could mean for the new US Airways? Are there any facilities or properties that we might want..such as some real cheap A319's perhaps?

I am starting this thread here to discuss the potential impact on US, not the actual failure or possibility thereof of Fly I, so mods, kindly keep this thread here if possible.

My best to you all....

I just read that Fly I filed Chapter 11 this morning. While it was not unexpected, I think the concencus is it will rapidly evolve to a Chapter 7 liquidation.

While somewhat premature, and realizing that UA has much more to gain from Fly I's disappearance, what do you all think it could mean for the new US Airways? Are there any facilities or properties that we might want..such as some real cheap A319's perhaps?

I am starting this thread here to discuss the potential impact on US, not the actual failure or possibility thereof of Fly I, so mods, kindly keep this thread here if possible.

My best to you all....
Maybe some RJ's they are moneymakers NOT.

Maybe we could remain on our course and not let these circumstances make us jump at attention? One always has to be aware of competition and their situations, but for as long as I remember, we have been in a solely reactive mode. Maybe Doug and company would give this a once over and a "noted" and keep moving forward. I suspect we have a game plan of our own.

The article in USAToday mentions the airline is hoping to get new investors or purchaser in a 60 day auction. I don't know Flyi routes, but we do still have a DC base and maybe it could be a way to grow.

I am not sure there are many assets left for them to auction. I thought I read that they are down to 29 RJ's and a handfull of A319's Trying to pick up any assets in IAD doesn't seem wise with our DCA operation so close. We gave IAD a try once with Ghetto Jet and couldn't make it work, I would doubt we would try it again.

My best to you all....
I’ll bet you the greatest benefactors of a Flyi bankruptcy and/or liquidation will be either Air Tran or jetBlue. I read in Air Transport World several issues ago that Dulles is one of the fastest growing airports (passenger enplanements) in the country. Having lived between DCA and IAD and today having to travel to Dulles often, the growth in North Virginia as far west as Winchester is just simply out of control. If an airline has got some available aircraft or unprofitable routes being flown by current aircraft, then move them into Dulles before Air Tran and/or jetBlue does.

Southwest's CEO talked a couple of months ago about Independence Air and the very low yields in the BWI/IAD markets because of FLYI prizing. DCA most likely was negatively affected also.

I beleive all the carriers, but especially AAI, LCC, LUV will be positively affected.

Also believe US Airways management have enough on their plate, but sure would be a good time to be agressive; we all know AirTran and Southwest will be...

Wonder how Virgin America and Sir Richard Branson fit into this equation. I mean Virgin America is talking about submitting a request for an operating certificate, before Christmas -- Can they "buy", at auction, FlyI's? I know this is probably not how it works, but it makes me wonder... The timing just seems too coincidental.

And actually, other than "intangibles", what does FlyI have to auction? Gates, slots, routes, Op Cert? Maybe some ground equipment? (Now if that's true, and it's relatively new and in good shape, US should look into buying up the ground equipment we need for PHL -- we'd probably have it sooner than the stuff we have on order -- and if they auction it before Christmas, that would even be better!) They certainly don't own their Airbus, so those won't be auctioned. Whomever they're leasing from probably already has new homes lined up for them already...

Lots of possibilities for action and in-action. Choices, choices, choices....

Wonder how Virgin America and Sir Richard Branson fit into this equation. I mean Virgin America is talking about submitting a request for an operating certificate, before Christmas -- Can they "buy", at auction, FlyI's? I know this is probably not how it works, but it makes me wonder... The timing just seems too coincidental.

And actually, other than "intangibles", what does FlyI have to auction? Gates, slots, routes, Op Cert? Maybe some ground equipment? (Now if that's true, and it's relatively new and in good shape, US should look into buying up the ground equipment we need for PHL -- we'd probably have it sooner than the stuff we have on order -- and if they auction it before Christmas, that would even be better!) They certainly don't own their Airbus, so those won't be auctioned. Whomever they're leasing from probably already has new homes lined up for them already...

Lots of possibilities for action and in-action. Choices, choices, choices....

Their ground equipment, etc could still be upwards of 15 years old. Remember that even though FlyI is a new company, ACA has been around for a while.

Southwest's CEO talked a couple of months ago about Independence Air and the very low yields in the BWI/IAD markets because of FLYI prizing. DCA most likely was negatively affected also.

I beleive all the carriers, but especially AAI, LCC, LUV will be positively affected.

Yes, of course US matched many FLYI fares. That's why GoFares were launched in DCA, and not just PHL. GoFares, remember them? :p

Seriously, though, fares have come up a good bit since their lows; also, since FLYI shrunk to a fraction of their former size, US and others no longer felt the need to match every fare sale. But this will no doubt help a little.

Today in a research report Lehman Brothers said, "We believe the biggest beneficiaries of this news (FLYi's bankuprtyc filing) are clearly LCC (US Airways), followed by AAI, JBLU and LUV. We believe other industry players will also benefit, but not to the same extent."

Regards,

USA320Pilot

Latest posts

Back