Anyone know?

I mean I know of a bunch that came from AT to SWA, and some that went right back to AT , but was curious of any the other way?

well let me clarify, by right back I mean prior to probation being completed.

Honestly, not a soul... I don't know anyone who has ever been to SWA or gone to SWA and gone back to AT much less gone to AT from SWA. It's mostly been the other way around for the past few years, since you guys got the better contract. But before that, when AT had the higher paying contract, I'd see guys from Delta, AA/TWA, NW always split between SWA and AT mostly either based location and/or pay. A lot at AirTran are simply set in their ways and comfortable with the process and location so they've stuck it out because it's really not that bad once you get your rhythm place, just like a lot of places. AT has always been the place, as far as I've seen, that AMT's kinda fall back on when their 20 years somewhere else hits the fan, then once they get there, they realize it's not so bad and could actually be a very longer term gig, I've heard of a lot of that scenario.

Honestly, not a soul... I don't know anyone who has ever been to SWA or gone to SWA and gone back to AT much less gone to AT from SWA. It's mostly been the other way around for the past few years, since you guys got the better contract. But before that, when AT had the higher paying contract, I'd see guys from Delta, AA/TWA, NW always split between SWA and AT mostly either based location and/or pay. A lot at AirTran are simply set in their ways and comfortable with the process and location so they've stuck it out because it's really not that bad once you get your rhythm place, just like a lot of places. AT has always been the place, as far as I've seen, that AMT's kinda fall back on when their 20 years somewhere else hits the fan, then once they get there, they realize it's not so bad and could actually be a very longer term gig, I've heard of a lot of that scenario.

I knew I could count on you for a logical , thoughtful answer to my question!

well let me clarify, by right back I mean prior to probation being completed.

I remember one guy from AT/valujet that came to SW. He quit during probation and went back. I think he saw the writing on the wall. He got in trouble with the FAA inspector here for lying to him. It was quite a few years ago.

I remember one guy from AT/valujet that came to SW. He quit during probation and went back. I think he saw the writing on the wall. He got in trouble with the FAA inspector here for lying to him. It was quite a few years ago.

I remember 2 mechanics that didn't make probation. 2 mech's at different times and that too was many years ago.

yeah I know of one that came from AT , failed probation and went back to AT, and one from NWA didnt make the cut and went to AT and is now some kind of manager, LOFL. Well at least he can sleep now in a locked office , so as to not be interupted....

This is nothing but a flme thread. Be careful with the god complex.Most everyone here (on these boards) worked for a top tier airline at one time.

This is nothing but a flme thread. Be careful with the god complex.Most everyone here (on these boards) worked for a top tier airline at one time.

DING DING DING, we have a winner, its a thread about the difference between the two, and the difference between the probationary process at the two. Which in turn helps explain why people are protective about what they earned. SWA BOUGHT AT. Anyway back to the original question, I guess that means NO.

It doesnt really have anything to do with your so called "top tier" status, what it has to do with is earning something. As I have stated before , and will reiterate from someone who has done probation at both companies, and worked/trained at both companies , there is no comparison. This is not just one person either, all of the AT transplants I know , including myself. Its hard to understand something when you havent done it. I know everyone has done probation, thats not what Im saying, I did it at a part 145 sweat shop too, what Im saying is , during SWA probation people arent protected, you show up or you get fired, the end. You can say what you want to about it but if you dont have to go through it you will never truly know.

It doesnt really have anything to do with your so called "top tier" status, what it has to do with is earning something. As I have stated before , and will reiterate from someone who has done probation at both companies, and worked/trained at both companies , there is no comparison. This is not just one person either, all of the AT transplants I know , including myself. Its hard to understand something when you havent done it. I know everyone has done probation, thats not what Im saying, I did it at a part 145 sweat shop too, what Im saying is , during SWA probation people arent protected, you show up or you get fired, the end. You can say what you want to about it but if you dont have to go through it you will never truly know.

I can tell you probation is not what it use to be. Hell now a days you can screw something up or sleep on the job and not get fired on probation. You can thank Colleen and the new managment for that.

I can tell you probation is not what it use to be. Hell now a days you can screw something up or sleep on the job and not get fired on probation. You can thank Colleen and the new managment for that.

I'm glad someone shows a bit of honesty on here.... As I've witnessed it as well at AirTran, day 89 and 7 hours, 'you're not going to make it here, you're fired'.

I admitted earlier on in the thread that most go from Airtran to SWA and not vise verse... That includes 2 mechs, that I personally know, that didn't make AT probation and are now at SWA with a good bit of time under their belts. It works both ways in the industry, probation is probation. I personally think a longer time frame of probation is fairer than a shorter, gives the slower, nervous guys a little more opportunity to grow and learn, but I suppose I am one of the few that feel this way because we've already discussed the topic in this forum multiple times and everyone disagrees because it takes you longer to get protected. My argument is, if you're doing your job right everyday, like you're supposed to, than you wouldn't feel the need to make that threshold for protection because you'd know you were safe all the time, at least that my attitude towards it..

My previous airline, to Airtran that is, had no union for their AMT's, I was doing fine for years, but I could see the writing on the wall before the restructure was to begin, so left willingly after applying and interviewing a various other airlines including SWA.. I was hired at all of them, but chose AirTran because of location, I wasn't willing to move to DAL.. I'm glad I made that decision even though we're in this predicament. I could of made AirTran a career but am grateful at the career advancemt opportunities SWA brings along with it, even though I will probably never get to enjoy them because you've all made it pretty clear that we're not welcome and you probably won't embrace us..

Probation is probation, no matter how or where you do it....

I'm glad someone shows a bit of honesty on here.... As I've witnessed it as well at AirTran, day 89 and 7 hours, 'you're not going to make it here, you're fired'.

I admitted earlier on in the thread that most go from Airtran to SWA and not vise verse... That includes 2 mechs, that I personally know, that didn't make AT probation and are now at SWA with a good bit of time under their belts. It works both ways in the industry, probation is probation. I personally think a longer time frame of probation is fairer than a shorter, gives the slower, nervous guys a little more opportunity to grow and learn, but I suppose I am one of the few that feel this way because we've already discussed the topic in this forum multiple times and everyone disagrees because it takes you longer to get protected. My argument is, if you're doing your job right everyday, like you're supposed to, than you wouldn't feel the need to make that threshold for protection because you'd know you were safe all the time, at least that my attitude towards it..

My previous airline, to Airtran that is, had no union for their AMT's, I was doing fine for years, but I could see the writing on the wall before the restructure was to begin, so left willingly after applying and interviewing a various other airlines including SWA.. I was hired at all of them, but chose AirTran because of location, I wasn't willing to move to DAL.. I'm glad I made that decision even though we're in this predicament. I could of made AirTran a career but am grateful at the career advancemt opportunities SWA brings along with it, even though I will probably never get to enjoy them because you've all made it pretty clear that we're not welcome and you probably won't embrace us..

Probation is probation, no matter how or where you do it....

Good Post!
RE: bold statement, IMHO, SWA AMFA has made it quite clear that they will do anything to keep you off of their property and will do anything/everything in their power to do so.

The only thing they 'might' accept is a staple. Personally, I hope this goes to binding arbitration where you guys/N'gals may get relative seniority.

As an exAMFA rep, I apologize for their behavior.

Best Regards,
B) xUT

As an exAMFA rep, I apologize for their behavior.

Best Regards,
B) xUT
As a former NWA AMFA Area rep, and someone who helped with the UAL AMT's leaving the IAMAW and voting in the AMFA, I am sickened by what I hope is the minority of the AMFA folks on this board who want to relegate you (AirTran) to second class. You should get relative seniority. I find it amusing that AMFA leaders would ask for any more. After all, one of AMFA's early ideas was portable seniority throughout the airline industry.

Shame on the SWA members who want you to get less than relative seniority. If it goes to arbitration, i expect no less than that for you.

You know what they say though,

Karma can be a ####.

Back