ATA shuts down

rvolkcpa

Advanced
Aug 30, 2002
It was just announced on tv news and online news stories that ATA has ceased flying. This combined with Aloha's demise will cut a fair amount of service between the West Coast and Hawaii. This is sad.

One of the finest groups of employees I've ever come across.

Very sad indeed.The same group of Hedge Fund scum is responsible for scaming up oil futures, destroying tens of thousands of lives. What does Congress do, sit on their a$$es wondering where their next campaign dollar is coming from.

NxNW,

It is terrible for the individuals involved, but you have to open your eyes a little and recognize that this is a much needed thinning of the heard that will benefit the vast majority of the remaining industry employees. Whether you run a company or a nation you can't just worry about John Smith at 123 Main St all day...you have to think about how you maintain the greatest for the most. Letting two relatively weak carriers who are a small blip on the national scale succumb to a fate they both nearly faced not so long ago with oil at much lower prices may not be so bad.

Had Southwest not swooped in to prevent AirTran from buying ATA it is likely these people would still be employeed however that happened and here we are today. I disagreed with allowing that merger but the rest is nothing more than what happens to any poorly run business.

NxNW,

It is terrible for the individuals involved, but you have to open your eyes a little and recognize that this is a much needed thinning of the heard that will benefit the vast majority of the remaining industry employees. Whether you run a company or a nation you can't just worry about John Smith at 123 Main St all day...you have to think about how you maintain the greatest for the most. Letting two relatively weak carriers who are a small blip on the national scale succumb to a fate they both nearly faced not so long ago with oil at much lower prices may not be so bad.

Had Southwest not swooped in to prevent AirTran from buying ATA it is likely these people would still be employeed however that happened and here we are today. I disagreed with allowing that merger but the rest is nothing more than what happens to any poorly run business.

Southwest made that move to keep AirTran (ValuJet) out of MDW and IND. Now that Southwest has those 14 gates at MDW they were gunning after all this time, I wonder what they will do with them. I don't think they have the lift sitting around to put them to immediate use...

Damn, I loved flying ATA. Flew them dozens of times to Hawaii, flew them to Ireland and a few domestic routes.

I always enjoyed ATA.

Wow, in one week we lost L1011's and 737-200's.

Best of luck to all ATA employees, you guys were great.

Who's next???? Virgin Am....Allegiant....Frontier...

Alitalia...sadly. And then, whomever's balance sheet is requiring large payments of debt (that $100 dollar oil will prevent) along with a recession.

NW does not have to merge. It will not be merging just because it's management or BOD would like it to (enter Oberstar and 35,000 employees who say NO) nor will it be disappearing anytime soon. It's BEST of the legacies balance sheet will see to that.

Alitalia...sadly. And then, whomever's balance sheet is requiring large payments of debt (that $100 dollar oil will prevent) along with a recession.

NW does not have to merge. It will not be merging just because it's management or BOD would like it to (enter Oberstar and 35,000 employees who say NO) nor will it be disappearing anytime soon. It's BEST of the legacies balance sheet will see to that.
Yahoo's Financial sheet show NWA as having 6Billion in GoodWill and 5Billion in Intangible Assets? What are those two items and they were not there before they when they were in BK.

Alitalia...sadly.

Are you kidding?.... If any currently operating carrier deserves to collapse, it's AZ.

Alitalia should have disappeared ten years ago, but kept being propped up on life support by the Italian government. Swissair and Sabena were allowed to collapse when they became insolvent. SR was one of the finest airlines operating until they decided to hitch their wagn to SN...

Next up on my shutdown list are SX and VX, followed by YV, F9, and YX.

Folks,

Since we're only allowing one thread on the ATA shutdown, please keep the discussion on ATA in this thread. Speculation on who's next is an entirely different subject worthy of its own thread.

Thank you.

Learn profit margin/rps...Enterprise Value/EBITDA.

On subject: I hope FED EX has one damn good reason for doing this.

http://online.wsj.com/article/BT-CO-20080403-711731.html

Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't ATA utilize other carriers to become the "largest civilian" carrier? They obviously didn't have the fleet themselves. I had thought that I read where they did more wet-leasing on a per flight basis than actually flying their own eqpt?

Latest posts