Bankrupt

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have plenty to rebutt you but it would go on blind eyes.

Unions were born and exist today because companies exploited workers.

Just go look up the Haymarket Square riots, the GM sit-in in Detroit, the Triangle Shirt Factory Fire or the Hamlet, NC chicken plant fire.

And WN has the highest percentage of unionized workers, they pay their employees more then any major carrier and have turned a profit for over 20 years.

I have seen many slackers at unionized companies get disciplined including up to termination for their actions at work. The company must follow the 12 steps of just cause to terminate a worker instead of having that worker as an employee at will with no right.

And unions fight everyday, they don't live off of the past people who have fought. Go look at the major supermarker lockout/strike in CA last year who fought for decent medical insurance payments.

Maybe if you took your head out of the sand and stop reading the Right to Work (for less) propaganda you might actually learn something.

OSHA, minimum wage laws and Child labor laws would not exist if it was not for unions.

And people in the private sector who earn high wages and good benefits earn them because of unions and the company's fear of their employees unionizing and having a say in their destiny instead of being slaves to their employers.

Look at DL, who fights tooth and nail to keep unions out, they pay more in salary then AA or UA because they are scared of unions.

If you look up the labor laws in NC the title is Master and Servent, that tells you how big business thinks of its employees.

Maybe you just have union envy.

Like I said go ask any fleet or customer service agent at US what the "nice" company did to them in 1992 when they were non-union.

Please explain to me how the unions cause the situation, the unions have given concessions since 1992 and last time I checked the unions dont manage the company, executives do that, and they agreed to the labor contracts and if the business could not support it shame on them for being bad businessman.

And please explain how unions did the following?

See you cant because it is the company who does it!
And that is not even counting the lying thief Seigel.

As far back as Ed Colodny mistakes have been made that has probably cost this company millions if not billons if you add all the blunders.

Colodny’s Blunders:

· Mirror Image, imposing US Air’s business methods upon Piedmont and PSA, instead of looking at each respective airline and adapting their successful practices. Some examples would be dismantling of the Piedmont Shuttle which accounted for 32% of Piedmont’s Gross Revenue.

· Not furthering International Service and canceling the last three 767s on order from Boeing, then realizing how much money was made serving international destinations and paying Boeing a $30 million penalty to reorder the three planes.

Schofield’s Blunders:

· Business select, $50 million on wasted seats that never worked properly and we eventually removed from the 737-200 fleet. Operation Highground.

· The IAM Mechanic and Related Strike of 1992 in which US Air lost $35 million and agreeing to pay all the pilots during our strike regardless if they flew or not.

· The hiring of Joe Gorman from United Airlines. Gorman stayed a few months then went right back to United, then United started taking us on head to head in numerous markets where we did not compete before Gorman’s tenure.

· The alliance with British Airways to infuse quick cash, but not on favorable terms to US Air, BA got more out of the alliance then we did.

Wolf and Gangwal:

· Canceling all the Boeing orders and having to pay a substantial penalty to Boeing to this day the dollar amount is not known as it was a confidential out of court settlement after Boeing sued US Airways, but it is believed to be hundreds of millions of dollars.

· Closing of three maintenance bases and trying to accomplish all the work in just three bases, which caused a backlog of airplanes awaiting “Q†and “C†checks and Mod visits. At one point you could see numerous airplanes parked in Charlotte, Pittsburgh and Tampa awaiting maintenance.

· Buying back over $1.5 billon of US Airways stock instead of using the money as operating capital or paying down debt or just having it around for a downturn.

· Selling the company to United Airlines and then for the next 14 months having no direction and running the company into the ground.

· Overreacting to the September 11th tragedy and shrinking the airline by 23% and increasing costs by putting larger airplanes on shorter routes.

Many mistakes have been made by so called corporate executives in this company and the majority of executives who made this horrible business decisions are still here. So now the hard working employees who have kept US Airways going and you can look at the Department of Transportation statistics that have us in the top tier of performance are going to be faced with major decision on concessions to try and keep this company a viable operation. Now is the time to not listen or spread rumors, use sound judgments when the FACTS are explained to you and stop pointing fingers at other workers who are out here just trying to survive and support themselves and/or their families. Many employees are writing executives saying get rid of this classification or that classification, just don’t touch what I have. I do believe a union is supposed to be about what is best for all, not one. All showing the company that we are a group that would eat our young to save ourselves accomplishes nothing positive for our membership.

700UW said:
Please explain to me how the unions cause the situation, the unions have given concessions since 1992 and last time I checked the unions dont manage the company, executives do that, and they agreed to the labor contracts and if the business could not support it shame on them for being bad businessman.

And please explain how unions did the following?

See you cant because it is the company who does it!
And that is not even counting the lying thief Seigel.

As far back as Ed Colodny mistakes have been made that has probably cost this company millions if not billons if you add all the blunders.

Colodny’s Blunders:

· Mirror Image, imposing US Air’s business methods upon Piedmont and PSA, instead of looking at each respective airline and adapting their successful practices. Some examples would be dismantling of the Piedmont Shuttle which accounted for 32% of Piedmont’s Gross Revenue.

· Not furthering International Service and canceling the last three 767s on order from Boeing, then realizing how much money was made serving international destinations and paying Boeing a $30 million penalty to reorder the three planes.

Schofield’s Blunders:

· Business select, $50 million on wasted seats that never worked properly and we eventually removed from the 737-200 fleet. Operation Highground.

· The IAM Mechanic and Related Strike of 1992 in which US Air lost $35 million and agreeing to pay all the pilots during our strike regardless if they flew or not.

· The hiring of Joe Gorman from United Airlines. Gorman stayed a few months then went right back to United, then United started taking us on head to head in numerous markets where we did not compete before Gorman’s tenure.

· The alliance with British Airways to infuse quick cash, but not on favorable terms to US Air, BA got more out of the alliance then we did.

Wolf and Gangwal:

· Canceling all the Boeing orders and having to pay a substantial penalty to Boeing to this day the dollar amount is not known as it was a confidential out of court settlement after Boeing sued US Airways, but it is believed to be hundreds of millions of dollars.

· Closing of three maintenance bases and trying to accomplish all the work in just three bases, which caused a backlog of airplanes awaiting “Q†and “C†checks and Mod visits. At one point you could see numerous airplanes parked in Charlotte, Pittsburgh and Tampa awaiting maintenance.

· Buying back over $1.5 billon of US Airways stock instead of using the money as operating capital or paying down debt or just having it around for a downturn.

· Selling the company to United Airlines and then for the next 14 months having no direction and running the company into the ground.

· Overreacting to the September 11th tragedy and shrinking the airline by 23% and increasing costs by putting larger airplanes on shorter routes.

Many mistakes have been made by so called corporate executives in this company and the majority of executives who made this horrible business decisions are still here. So now the hard working employees who have kept US Airways going and you can look at the Department of Transportation statistics that have us in the top tier of performance are going to be faced with major decision on concessions to try and keep this company a viable operation. Now is the time to not listen or spread rumors, use sound judgments when the FACTS are explained to you and stop pointing fingers at other workers who are out here just trying to survive and support themselves and/or their families. Many employees are writing executives saying get rid of this classification or that classification, just don’t touch what I have. I do believe a union is supposed to be about what is best for all, not one. All showing the company that we are a group that would eat our young to save ourselves accomplishes nothing positive for our membership.
[post="178150"][/post]​

Excellent post there 700. An excellent chronology of 15 years of blunders that labor has subsidized.

Maybe you should pass this along so "The Judge" has a handle on how we got to where we are today. I think you've just about covered it.

The judge will smirk in your dumb, unionista face and show you your new wage and benefits list - LESS than what America West gets, since that is all you deserve for your arrogant behavior.

I have spoken today to mainline workers who are not as blessed as you. They are about to suffer cuts in wages and benefits worse than if they had worked with the company to find common ground. They may even lose their jobs. But what do you care? [edited by moderator].

And thus, ALPA and IAM steal the life of yet another airline, and the livelihoods of their coworkers as well...

El Gato,

You have serious issues. ALPA and the IAM have not killed US or anyother airline, it has been years of bad management.

And please dont bring up Eastern, Lorenzo killed that company and he was banned from the industry by the DOT and DOJ.

And I dont know if you were talking to me, but I am a regular paid person, no six figures in my income.

Your ignorance is bliss.

excellent post elgato, these [edited by moderator]think they are going slip right into a job just as cozy as the one they are about to lose. Go back to school 700 and get a proper education and make something of yourself instead of being some wannabe thug leader who blames everyhting on everyone but yourself.

I am glad that you think you know all about me.

You couldn't be more far from the truth.

Amazing how scared people are, do you not have any courage?

I guess another ALPA member ready to throw everyone under the bus and be a coward instead of standing strong and fighting for thier rights.

And if you can't accept the fact of what happened because of 15 years of bad management then there is no hope for you.

Please dispute what I have posted or show me where the average regular working employee at this company made those business decisions that have killed this company.

Im not scared cuz I was already axed, which mind you was the best thing that could have happened to me! The people who want a job should be able to vote yes the ones who dont want a future with USAir should not derail everyone else's future. Some people are content with making 13/hr don't ruin that for them.

majority rules that is how it works. if they dont like it they can leave.

700UW said:
Maybe you just have union envy.

Like I said go ask any fleet or customer service agent at US what the "nice" company did to them in 1992 when they were non-union.
[post="178146"][/post]​

You sir are delusional. As I said before I was there in 1992 and lived it. I don't need to ask anyone and the last thing I have is union envy. What you can't do is name one thing that you've done to better the union environment for those to come after you. Cut and paste all the century old quotes you want and cite all the century old union fights you want the fact remains you've left the place worse off than it was left for you.

As for the bankruptcy. My prediction is when they file IAM will be a shell of it's former self and the rest of the employees will be hit hard. I would guess in excess of 30% will be out of work if not 100%.

I guess you cant read what Scot said.

scot Today, 04:50 PM Post #40
Group: Moderator
Member No.: 10

Lets get back to the bankruptcy or the topic WILL BE CLOSED!!!

But I have done so much to better the next generation on union members and current ones it would take me weeks to type it all up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back