Bed-ttn

Hope777

Veteran
Aug 19, 2002
www.usaviation.com
good , keep the saabs on those routes so the other SA routes will have something else when they start flying for UAX

Hope777 said:
Today, Boston Maine Airways Annouced new service BED-TTN, http://biz.yahoo.com/prnews/040312/nef012_1.html.

Is there that much traffic on the route and how will it effect PHL-BOS?
How much longer will US continue running this route if BostonMaine Airways begins serving it. Is is possible that BM Airways picked up the route when US initially annouced discontinuing it? I can't see enough traffic for the combined segments each airline will offer.

My prediction.

Boston Maine will discontinue this city-pair quickly and quietly as soon as the media attention dies down.

It is a money loser for them. They're not connecting to any Pan-Am mainline flights and the traveling public will gladly choose a Saab over a Jetstream 31 any day.

I'm surprised that TTN doesn't have more demands for increased service. It is a nice remote airport that is easy to get to, and I think that it has FREE parking as well. If I were living in that area, I would go there instead of PHL anyday. TTN is also a good alternative for EWR if you are in the central NJ area. I am still surprised that SWA didn't choose TTN over PHL as they could have captured EWR & PHL traffic at the same time. I know that the terminal is not up to par for a big operation such as SW would run after a while. I would think that the Airport and City of TTN would have worked with them to update the terminal.

Mercer County has been trying to get Southwest to come to TTN for well over a decade. They have been trying long before Shuttle America and even Eastwind came to the airport.

There could be great demand for destinations to and from TTN if it were done right. There are quite a few large corporations around that area that could use TTN easily enough. Merril Lynch for example has a very large facility only a mile or two down the road. Johnson & Johnson, Unisys, Merck and Phizer all have corporate hangars on the field and also have business locations that are relatively close. It was also previously stated that TTN does have free parking and would be a great alternative for people living in central Jersey as well as people living north of Philly in PA. These two reasons alone are most likely why ACA/Independance Air is considering them as a destination to/from IAD.

The drawbacks are, as said before, that is has an small and old terminal. Mercer County would build a new one if there would be someone to use it. The other detractions are the people in Yardley, PA, and other people surrounding the airport that always oppose the airports growth. But I think that the biggist problem is that the longest runway is just over 6000 feet and has only one precision approach.

Time will tell what happes with TTN, Shuttle America, Boston-Maine and perhaps Independance Air.

Latest posts