Express Closes More Statons

Light Years

Veteran
Aug 27, 2002
www.usaviation.com
On April 30th US Airways Express carrier Shuttle America will discontinue service to Bedford, MA, Trenton, NJ, Hagerstown, MD, Williamsport, PA and Lynchburg, VA.

The closure of the Bedford, Trenton, Hagerstown, and Williamsport stations ends all air service to these markets. HGR and IPT had Pan Am Clipper Connection service at one point, not sure if thats around anymore. Lynchburg I believe is served by other Express carriers. All markets were served from PIT with the exception of BED, an oddball route served from TTN up to six times daily, as an alternate to PHL-BOS. All were served with Saab 340A turboprops.

The BED, TTN, and HGR stations are ground handled by Shuttle America (how was that possible? I thought all ground handling was U/PI/AL/PS?). Shuttle America's crew base in Trenton (!) will also close.

There wouldn't be a connection with this would there????

US Airways Flight Lands at Wrong Airport
UPDATED - Thursday January 15, 2004 11:23pm

STATE COLLEGE, Pa. (AP) - Eight passengers on a US Airways Express flight from Pittsburgh to State College got an unscheduled detour last week when their pilot accidentally landed at the wrong airport.

The flight, operated by Shuttle America, landed at Mid-State Regional Airport near Philipsburg instead of University Park Airport outside State College. The two airports are about 20 miles apart.

Joann Shields, business secretary at Mid-State Airport, which handles mostly private planes, said the pilot wasn't familiar with the area and accidentally landed at the wrong airport.

"When the pilot walked in, he said, 'Here's one for the news,'" Shields said.

A US Airways spokeswoman said the company arranged for ground transportation to take the eight passengers to University Park Airport, but referred all other questions to Shuttle America.

This is too bad. I always thought these cities were nice for the route map, but these days I'm guessing most people are simply driving to the nearest major airport.

We're not rid of them. From what I understand, thier plan is to move more aircraft out of former Shuttle America stations (BED, TTN) and into even more PIT markets like CAK, CLE, CMH, and SCE (former Dash and Dornier routes). That is, of course, if they can find them. :rolleyes:

The LYH station in Piedmont and IPT station is PSA. Neither of these stations are closing. The TTN and BED stations have never been part of the U network until Shuttle America started up, so no big loss.......

CAK will become an all RJ operation by end of summer and rumor has it: a point-to-point test ground for the RJ's to PHL, MCO, TPA, DCA or other cities to compete with FL. CAK is THE fastest growing airport in the United States and has taken alot of buisness from CO in CLE

IPT is indeed a PSA operated station, however, PSA does not currently fly there. Will PSA go back into the market with 328s, or maybe Colgan will take over the route?

BED, TTN and HGR are goners. LYH won't be affected... I guess we're not sure about IPT yet?

Mainline Allegheny/USAir did serve Trenton years ago, as well as the nearby Northeast Philadelphia Airport, believe it or not.

US Airways was at one point interested in serving BED from PHL with Dash 8s. They decided against it as at the time locals were picketing the airport and protesting against scheduled air service there. Airways later "recruited" Shuttle America into the Express-mess, and served both PHL and TTN to BED. The PHL route was quickly abandoned. PHL-BOS is one US's most lucrative routes. Apparently, the TTN-BED route was kept as it catered to the large FF base on both ends, offering up to six flights from the alternative airports, with free parking and little hassle on either end (at least in theory).

Shuttle America sevice if you can call it that, is a Joke from the start. Flying a 30 Psgr. A/C, that can't really take all 30 on a good day. Their crews have ways that have never been seen or used in the Industry before and so on. The SAAB A/C should have been put out to pasture long ago, instead of being used by them to start a Sub-Par operation. Thier A/C and operation make PDT & ALG look like a gem any given day.

wings396 said:
Shuttle America sevice if you can call it that, is a Joke from the start. Flying a 30 Psgr. A/C, that can't really take all 30 on a good day. Their crews have ways that have never been seen or used in the Industry before and so on. The SAAB A/C should have been put out to pasture long ago, instead of being used by them to start a Sub-Par operation. Thier A/C and operation make PDT & ALG look like a gem any given day.
I seriously think US and Shuttle America need to part ways. You are right, they are a joke. PDT could do a heck of a job. :)

Light Years said:
Mainline Allegheny/USAir did serve Trenton years ago, as well as the nearby Northeast Philadelphia Airport, believe it or not.
NE Philly was the base for longtime Allegheny Commuter carrier Ransome Airlines. Ransome was one of the initial Allegheny Commuters when the system was started in the late '60s, and did indeed take over from mainline into Trenton. I don't think Allegheny mainline ever served NE Philly, though.
For many years Ransome was a shining example of a successful commuter airline, but they ran into trouble in the '80s. After leaving the AL Commuter fold, they attempted to fly solo, then hooked up with DL as one of the initial Delta Connection carriers, and finally operated as a JFK commuter feed for Pan Am.

Mainline did serve TNN before. They were in and out of there a couple of times.
TTN is in a very good area, but it is too close to PHL for US. I would have bet on SWA going in there had the runways and teminal been able to support them. TTN could have drawn traffic from EWR & PHL at the same time.
On the subject of PDT and ALG, they have always been a pleasure to work with over the years. They have had some operational problems, but they are a drop in the bucket compared to Shuttle America. Many of their crews make me shake my head and wonder where they came from with some of their backwards procedures and thoughts.

Latest posts