Brutha, can you spare a dime ?!

Aug 21, 2005
Northwest advised workers to see treasure in trash

Tue Aug 15, 2006

NEW YORK (Reuters) - Bankrupt Northwest Airlines Corp. advised workers to fish in the trash for things they like or take their dates for a walk in the woods in a move to help workers facing the ax to save money.

The No. 5 U.S. carrier, which has slashed most employees' pay and is looking to cut jobs as it prepares to exit bankruptcy, put the tips in a booklet handed out to about 50 workers and posted for a time on its employee Web site.

The section, entitled "101 ways to save money", does not feature in new versions of the booklet or the Web site.

Northwest spokesman Roman Blahoski said some employees who received the handbook had taken issue with a couple of the items. "We agree that some of these suggestions and tips ... were a bit insensitive," Blahoski told Reuters.

The four-page booklet, "Preparing for a Financial Setback" contained suggestions such as shopping in thrift stores, taking "a date for a walk along the beach or in the woods" and not being "shy about pulling something you like out of the trash."

The booklet was part of a 150-page packet to ground workers, such as baggage handlers, whose jobs will likely be cut after their union agreed to allow the airline to outsource some of their work, Blahoski said.

Prepared with the help of an outside company, the booklet encourages employees to manage their money better and prepare for financial emergencies.

"If you have saved some money, pat yourself on the back -- you deserve it," the booklet reads. "Take out only what you need and spend prudently."

man those a**holes in mgmt either ought to be sent to prison or and go thru sensitivity training courses. I would love to see how those ba$tards sleep at night. They are the most pathetic sobs on this planet

"We agree that some of these suggestions and tips ... were a bit insensitive," Blahoski told Reuters.

Now what have I been saying about sensitivity training?
Dang....
Jerks....

man those a**holes in mgmt either ought to be sent to prison or and go thru sensitivity training courses. I would love to see how those ba$tards sleep at night. They are the most pathetic sobs on this planet
Well I hear they are going to be as helpful as they can...Management will allow all NWA employees first dibs at their trash! How big of them. What a bunch of F___Wads!

The story in the link below was back in June. "Can't we all get along?" When I read this then, my 1st thought was - What a crock of BS! And now they bring out the laid off employees guide to dumpster etiquette.
http://www.duluthsuperior.com/mld/duluthsu...ss/14866921.htm

Maybe suggestion #102 should have been, "on your last day, feel free to take as many boxes of cleaning supplies (paper towels/trash/bags/TP/kleenex/etc.) as will fit in your trunk." B)

I think the NW employees should dump their trash at the steps of the NW HQ in MSP! Then Stealand and his crooks can dig themselves.

How pathetic! This just adds more fuel to the fire. Gee, AFA are you really going to CHAOS now???

Northwest advised workers to see treasure in trash

Tue Aug 15, 2006

NEW YORK (Reuters) - Bankrupt Northwest Airlines Corp. advised workers to fish in the trash for things they like or take their dates for a walk in the woods in a move to help workers facing the ax to save money.

The No. 5 U.S. carrier, which has slashed most employees' pay and is looking to cut jobs as it prepares to exit bankruptcy, put the tips in a booklet handed out to about 50 workers and posted for a time on its employee Web site.

The section, entitled "101 ways to save money", does not feature in new versions of the booklet or the Web site.

Northwest spokesman Roman Blahoski said some employees who received the handbook had taken issue with a couple of the items. "We agree that some of these suggestions and tips ... were a bit insensitive," Blahoski told Reuters.

The four-page booklet, "Preparing for a Financial Setback" contained suggestions such as shopping in thrift stores, taking "a date for a walk along the beach or in the woods" and not being "shy about pulling something you like out of the trash."

The booklet was part of a 150-page packet to ground workers, such as baggage handlers, whose jobs will likely be cut after their union agreed to allow the airline to outsource some of their work, Blahoski said.

Prepared with the help of an outside company, the booklet encourages employees to manage their money better and prepare for financial emergencies.

"If you have saved some money, pat yourself on the back -- you deserve it," the booklet reads. "Take out only what you need and spend prudently."
At first I was sceptical of the existence of this piece, but now that I see the byline is from reuters, I can only laugh.....Pravda reborn!

This company's management is unbelievable. They really need to be doing the dumpster-diving.

Maybe when they ask for management bonuses from the judge he should be made aware of this.

Unbelievable!!!!!

I'm left so speachless that I'm having a hard time figuring out exactly what to write. If no one in NWA management read this before approving this to be handed out, it shows just how truly incompetent these people are. If management knew this crap (pun intended) was in this packet, then these are some of the most inhumane people to ever run an airline.

If NWA execs have any chance of saving face here, they need to identify who was responsible for distributing this garbage (pun intended again), apologize, and announce that this person has left the company to "spend more time with his/her family."

I am sure that the callousness displayed in the booklet was an intentional act of NW management - after all, this is the same company with executives who refer to their own flight attendants as "vending machines with arms". :down:

Also, during the negotiations with their mechanics (before the strike), we were referred to as "cockroaches", and told that we "needed to learn our place in society". :down:

when will anyone be able to put mgmt in their place by striking and shutting down NWA? Hopefully the F/As will do that! I hate to see employees being wasted like that by mgmt but I think it is high flying time that all the employees get together and shut down NWA. I wish you all unionized folks at SCABBY PATCH AIR the best of luck

it's not the company's responsibility to tell you how to spend your money, no matter how little or how much you make.

Latest posts