Charity on Wednesday for Flight Attendants in Need...

FlightChic

Veteran
Feb 18, 2007
Here is a CBS message I just received.

Subject: PASTA AND MEATBALLS

GREETINGS EVERYONE,

AS A REMINDER, WE WILL BE SERVING LASAGNA LUNCHES IN THE B6 CREWROOM ON
WEDNESDAY OCTOBER 24TH FROM 12PM TO 4PM, AND IN A-WEST ON THURSDAY
OCTOBER 25TH FROM 1PM TO 5PM.
THE LUNCHES WILL BE AVAILABLE FOR $5.00 AND ALL PROCEEDS WILL BE
DONATED TO THE PEGASUS FOUNDATION TO HELP FLIGHT ATTENDANTS IN NEED.

PLEASE COME JOIN US, AND BRING YOUR APPETITES!
THANK YOU.
-------------( end of letter )--------------------------------------------------

Hey! I am in need since I only make $1300 a month. I'm not allowed to get sick either because the last time I was sick my 15th paycheck was only $547 dollars. They should do something for all of us junior flight attendants who are living in poverty.

I know I shouldn't complain because there are probably f/as out there who truly are in need, like if they have a family member such as a child or spouse who is terminally ill or maybe there is someone who lost their home and everything they owned in a fire or storm and I am thankful I am not in a horrible situation but still...OK, I will stop now and be thankful that I am not truly needy since I have food and shelter and good health and nobody is making me stay here and make such a low salary. I just thought it was ironic since many of us do qualify for food stamps and government assistance. That's all.

Here is a CBS message I just received.

Subject: PASTA AND MEATBALLS

GREETINGS EVERYONE,

AS A REMINDER, WE WILL BE SERVING LASAGNA LUNCHES IN THE B6 CREWROOM ON
WEDNESDAY OCTOBER 24TH FROM 12PM TO 4PM, AND IN A-WEST ON THURSDAY
OCTOBER 25TH FROM 1PM TO 5PM.
THE LUNCHES WILL BE AVAILABLE FOR $5.00 AND ALL PROCEEDS WILL BE
DONATED TO THE PEGASUS FOUNDATION TO HELP FLIGHT ATTENDANTS IN NEED.

PLEASE COME JOIN US, AND BRING YOUR APPETITES!
THANK YOU.
-------------( end of letter )--------------------------------------------------

Hey! I am in need since I only make $1300 a month. I'm not allowed to get sick either because the last time I was sick my 15th paycheck was only $547 dollars. They should do something for all of us junior flight attendants who are living in poverty.

I know I shouldn't complain because there are probably f/as out there who truly are in need, like if they have a family member such as a child or spouse who is terminally ill or maybe there is someone who lost their home and everything they owned in a fire or storm and I am thankful I am not in a horrible situation but still...OK, I will stop now and be thankful that I am not truly needy since I have food and shelter and good health and nobody is making me stay here and make such a low salary. I just thought it was ironic since many of us do qualify for food stamps and government assistance. That's all.

Okay, I am going to get sh!t for this......

I am a reserve as well, and my problems are nothing compared to people who are REALLY in need.

We HAVE choices....many that will benefit from the charity do NOT.

No, everyone has a choice. Who are these flight attendants that don't have a choice? If someone is in life or death financial need due to illness, etc, it's time to hang up the wings. You can make more doing almost anything else unless you're a complete moron.

Flight Chic's point is that flight attendants love to act like they are saving the world when they donate a mini hotel shampoo to a battered women's shelter but happily let thier co-workers live in poverty. It's just like the company putting out thier hands for United Way donations, to the very people who could benefit from it.

And Twicebaked, you are not only on A scale, you were never on B-scale under these wages, so you may be a reserve but you are making substantially more than the group Flight Chic is refering to. Not trying to start an argument, but you're not in that group.

Charity is admirable, but it's hypocritical of the company, and certainly the union, to look for donations from people who qualify for government aid.

Charity is admirable, but it's hypocritical of the company, and certainly the union, to look for donations from people who qualify for government aid.

sky high states: It's called, taking care of your own.
Years ago, there was a bake sale in the crew lounge for someone battling cancer. I walked up to the table, threw $10.00 on the table, my eyes filled up with tears, so I turned and walked away. I found a dark area in the crew lounge, buried my face into my hands and cried.
My Mother was battling cancer as well. However, I had just found out that her battle was futile. She was terminal. To watch a loved one die before your eyes is devastating. It forever changed my life. I didnt know the person battling cancer, the person everyone cared so much to have a bake sale that day, but I appreciated the people HELPING her deal with the process. In fact, one of them noticed me in the corner, came over and asked, "what's wrong?" I barely got out the words, "My Mom is dying of cancer." She sat there with me unexpectedly, comforting me..............all for $10.00 bucks.

Pretty good example of, what goes around, comes around. :up:

The UNION is looking for people who care enough to donate AND who can financially afford a few dollars. IT'S A CHOICE.
That ANYONE on this board is even comparing a LIFE THREATENING ILLNESS to their current LIVING CONDITIONS is pitiful. And, NO. They dont have a choice, they're fighting for their lives.

only stating opinions

The fund that is being supported with a meatball lunch is for flight attendants from all the AFA Carriers. These are individuals who are without any funds, it could be fires, flooding, catastrophic diseases, and no longer have a sick bank or have run out of sick bank and LTD is just not covering their bills. There are situations where people are homeless or can not afford their medication. This encompasses all walks of life, women of abuse, aids, cancer, and the sudden death of a beloved which leaves someone without financial backing. You need to remember that if you do not have 600 hours in your sick bank for 6 months you will be without a paycheck. I use this example claiming 100 hours a month. How many of us are that fortunate?

I do not want to conflate this and reserve issues. We need a Union to go forth and fix the problems. I am certain that time will bring about the changes that are long overdue!!!!!!!!!!! Maybe chemotherapy is like being on Reserve but ask anyone who has been ravaged by this disease about wanting to just live for one more flight.

What do we live for, if not to make the world less difficult for each other? --George Elliot

Being at the bottom of the pay scale, $5 bucks for a hot meal sounds like a good deal to me and I get the added bonus of feeling good by helping out other FAs in need.

While I understand where you are coming from FlightChic, in this instance it is not all about the reserve contract and our low wages. It is about those that can afford to help, helping out those in need.

These two issues don't even belong on the same page. If charitable giving makes you feel good and does some good then do it. If it makes you feel bad then don't.

Use your writing and complaining productively and lean on your Reserve Committee and the union. Stay VERY informed and involved as they approach the compensation and scheduling sections of the contract. The reserves are in great numbers now and can put the pressure on....... so do it. Make sure that the next contract recognizes the reserve's contribution to the company and the integrity of the schedule, not just their usefulness for lineholder flexibility and reduced labor cost per trip. You have an opportunity to change how reserves are viewed and used at US.

Because.... when irregular ops hit and/or lineholders are reducing their flying time.......who ya gonna call.........

If an F/A is am going to sit with no scheduled work or social life or controllable income and then get yanked out like a mercenary for crisis managment when things get bad........the F/A should to be paid like a mercenary.

If I am going to have a nice life where I know my schedule and can manipulate it to my heart's content. Well, you get my drift.....the compensation (and the profit sharing) needs to mirror who is most productive and responsive to the company's needs.

There are more equitable ways to manage a Flight Attendant work force out there. Some of which work quite well at other airlines. Make sure that the JNC knows you will not accept anything that does not contain motivation and rewards for all.

Now go forth and have a nice plate of pasta if you are so inclined.

I have to say that the Pegasus project does really great things for people in dire need. I'll leave it at that, and not touch the reserve issue, as that has NOTHING to do with this.. (And yes, I am a career reserve.....).

Let's all make sure we become very vocal and visible in the next few months as they enter the rsv/ compensation sections of negotiations.

No, everyone has a choice. Who are these flight attendants that don't have a choice? If someone is in life or death financial need due to illness, etc, it's time to hang up the wings. You can make more doing almost anything else unless you're a complete moron.

Flight Chic's point is that flight attendants love to act like they are saving the world when they donate a mini hotel shampoo to a battered women's shelter but happily let thier co-workers live in poverty. It's just like the company putting out thier hands for United Way donations, to the very people who could benefit from it.

And Twicebaked, you are not only on A scale, you were never on B-scale under these wages, so you may be a reserve but you are making substantially more than the group Flight Chic is refering to. Not trying to start an argument, but you're not in that group.

EMBFA,

I like you, I think I know you personally, and I usaully agree with you.....BUT you are way of base and out of line with this issue.

NOT EVERYONE HAS A CHOICE,

I am sure one does not chose to have their house burned to the ground.
I am sure one does not chose to contract AIDS.
I am sure one does not chose to have a terminally ill loved one that they need to take a leave to take care of.

I think you get my point.

Your reserve issue IS NOTHING to even compare to what this is all about.

I am soooooo disappointed in your attitude.

I stll like ya though!!! :up:

Thanks EMBFA. I'm not opposed to charity at all even though I may sound like it. I donate money each month to an Alzheimer's charity because I do want to help. I am in the process of starting a business and I will donate 10% of my earnings towards an education charity since my business is education-related and I used to be a teacher and feel very passionate about helping our children. When I was teaching, every year my classes would adopt a local family and give them things that they needed different times of the year, especially during the holidays. Yes, I bought things and contributed each time as well. I taught students who had no electricity in their homes let alone money to buy school supplies and there were many times I was paying for supplies for these kids out of my own pocket even though I had a low salary. But our whole public education system is a topic for another message board. If I knew of some of our own flight attendants who were in need I would give them the shirt off my back and help them out in any way I could. I just thought it was ironic that the same company who does nothing but take from us and pays us so little that we can barely afford to live would be asking us for donations.

I understand that someone dying from cancer doesn't compare to those few of us reserves who can barely afford to pay rent or eat. I get that. I never said it did. I also never said to not get any pasta and help out. I think it sounds like a good deal and much cheaper and better than airport food.

I guess I am just jaded and angry at the company. I will stop now.

Back