Christmas comes EARLY this Year.....for the....N R A !

KCFlyer said:

Yes...our representatives...the voice of their constituents.My point is....if "the people" told their representatives that they didn't want us to be able to have non automatic automatic weapons, and their representatives introduced that bill...and other representatives voted to agree with that...the day after a president signed it - the NRA would demand the supreme court hear the case.  But the Patriot act infringed on 6 of the 10 amendments in the bill of rights (thankfully, they stayed away from the second).  And not a peep from the constitutional scholars on this board.  Because after all....our forefathers could not have foreseen a terrorist threat, even though they WERE able to envision muskets firing hundreds of rounds per minute....or so I've heard. 
It would require a Constitutional Amendment and the rules for those are very clear

KCFlyer said:
So.,...if the people introduce a bill that says...oh, let's say, says that you can't buy a non automatic automatic weapon, then the people have spoken and the government needs to listen since our founding fathers envisioned a participatory government...is that what you are saying?

Oh...I know...the the Supreme Court would rule that it's a violation of the second amendment.  It's kind of funny....the constitution also has an amendment that protects us from illegal seach and seizure, yet the Patriot Act got passed, which is a violation of at least 3 of those amendments, yet the courts remained mum.  

Now you know what the definition of tyranny is.

SparrowHawk said:
It would require a Constitutional Amendment and the rules for those are very clear

Indeed they are.  Yet we have the Patriot Act, which violates at least 4 of the 10 amendments in the bill of rights, and that puppy was rammed thru in a matter of days.  Last I checked, it ordinarily takes a lot longer to change the constitution. 

But I know that you would fight to the death if anyone tried to pass a law OR amend the constitution to restrict your second amendment rights.  Do you hold the same feelings towards the OTHER amendments..particularly #'s 4 and 6? Did you support the Patriot Act?  If not, were you as vocal about that as you are the second amendment?

KCFlyer said:

Indeed they are.  Yet we have the Patriot Act, which violates at least 4 of the 10 amendments in the bill of rights, and that puppy was rammed thru in a matter of days.  Last I checked, it ordinarily takes a lot longer to change the constitution. 

But I know that you would fight to the death if anyone tried to pass a law OR amend the constitution to restrict your second amendment rights.  Do you hold the same feelings towards the OTHER amendments..particularly #'s 4 and 6? Did you support the Patriot Act?  If not, were you as vocal about that as you are the second amendment?

The trickery you speak of regarding the Patriot Act and other tacit violations of multiple amendments that are part of the Bill of Rights was done largely done with the approval of the public. That view, in light of Snowden, Ron Paul and a host of others has diminished over time. This is the likely cause for the interventions in the Middle East. Keep the fear mongering and war drums pounding. Check this article out for more background http://www.crf-usa.org/america-responds-to-terrorism/the-patriot-act.html

As a Libertarian I never supported the Patriot Act, TSA, NSA, NDAA or the rest of the alphabet agencies designed to enslave the individual citizen. This is why preservation of ALL of the 2nd Amendment is so important.to the Liberty of the common man. The statistically low risk of mass shootings is offset by the need for the population to rise up in armed resistance to the Tyranny of the Federal Government.

When tyranny becomes law, resistance is duty.

KCFlyer said:

So what ,exactly, has the "Annointed One" done to change it?

southwind said:

Since he is becoming more irrelevant by the second what difference does it make? Barack Obama is soooo 2012. I still maintain the reason he studied Constitutional Law was so he could figure out ways around it. He has done many an end run around Congress and smirked, "Go Ahead Make Mt Day". Well the chickens are coming home to roost now.

southwind said:

About as much as he has done to ban guns, that the paranoid right feels will happen any day now. 

KCFlyer said:
About as much as he has done to ban guns, that the paranoid right feels will happen any day now. 

JUST because you're paranoid, doesn't mean they're not out to get you!

Then maybe someone can give me an answer to this question. (and) it's a legit/serious question.

WHY, in these countries where gun control is strict, are the inhabitants rarely getting killed ?

1. New Zealand
2. Iceland
3. Belgium
4. the Netherlands
5. Austrailia
6. Norway
7. Denmark
8. Finland
9. Sweden
10. Canada

??
What statistics fail to factor in are the difference in populations and which country was a melting pot first.

Texas, New York, California, New Jersey, Washington, DC, alone probably have a higher population growth than all these nations combined. You would have to add the ENTIRE Middle East and Africa to balance the statistics with the good ol' USA.

See that's why I find statistics the worst way to prove a dumb point.

KCFlyer said:

KC,-----Two wrongs don't make a right! ------- It's that simple!

signals said:
What statistics fail to factor in are the difference in populations and which country was a melting pot first.

Texas, New York, California, New Jersey, Washington, DC, alone probably have a higher population growth than all these nations combined. You would have to add the ENTIRE Middle East and Africa to balance the statistics with the good ol' USA.

See that's why I find statistics the worst way to prove a dumb point.

The answer is CULTURE, as in those countries where paranoia is at a noticible LOW.No wonder the Nobel peace prize is presented in Oslo Norway as opposed to BUM-F'k  TEXAS !

Ms Tree said:
Have you stoped beating your wife yet?

The fact that we feel the need to defend our rights with guns I think points to the fact that the system has failed.  Other societies have maintained their freedoms with out the need to kill people. 

"Other societies have maintained their freedoms with out the need to kill people."....? Nice fantasy. That would've amounted to the greatest magic trick in all of history. Try naming even ONE society that's maintained any semblance of personal freedom over time without having to kill people for it....?

NewHampshire Black Bears said:
The answer is CULTURE, as in those countries where paranoia is at a noticible LOW.
Yep. When you have a homogenous society, paranoia is indeed lower. Since most of those countries are all seeing serious cultural change with the influx of immigrants, perhaps you should check your statistics in about 10 years to see how it all works out.

For example... Norway... 77 people killed in a single mass shooting event. That's more dead in a single event than were killed at Aurora, Sandy Hook, Navy Yard and Fort Hood combined....

NewHampshire Black Bears said:
No wonder the Nobel peace prize is presented in Oslo Norway as opposed to BUM-F'k  TEXAS !
I suspect that has more to do with the history of the Nobel Foundation than it does gun laws...

Latest posts

Back