Clt Fleet Service New Hire Update

Harry Callahan

Veteran
Sep 16, 2002
Your rearview mirror
Just spoke with one of our latest new hires who will finish training Fri., she advised her class started with 20. They are now down to 8. She stated 2 said this is just not for them & quit & the rest were unable to pass the required tests.

well it will be like that at all 26 airports that are being outsourced. too bad usair doesnt have a clue as to how to handle the high turnover rates
even if they did, it would still be in the shithole that there in now.

Only the absolutely naive, dumbest, and lowest class of people will venture into the airline industry now. The bus service transformation is nearly complete. Aviation will never be a good business to be in any more. If you truly love aviation as I do, find a better business and be an aviation enthusiast. It works, and you'll find yourself in a better lifestyle to boot! Aviation is not a viable business anymore, it's an exercise in desparation. P.S. - I love trains too!

Coachrowsey:

It's my understanding, "Since recruiting began in January, nearly 1,500 prospective employees have met with US Airways representatives to discuss employment in Philadelphia. Since Jan. 14, 160 new Fleet Service Agents have completed training. Fifty individuals are currently in training, and another 165 are scheduled to begin training by April 5. More than 80 percent of employees-in-training enter US Airways’ work force."

Meanwhile, "To help support increased operations in Charlotte, informational and interview sessions will be held on March 30, and April 5, 13, 20 and 27, at 9:30 a.m. and 1 p.m. at the Sheraton Airport."

See Story

Regards,

USA320Pilot

When people willing to work for what U pays can't pass the tests to work safely the standards are lowered.

Somebody some where will do this job, whether it is done right isn't as important as putting any body at all in a position to do it.

USA320Pilot said:
1,500 prospective employees
160 new Fleet Service Agents have completed training.
Fifty individuals are currently in training,
165 are scheduled to begin training by April 5.
More than 80 percent of employees-in-training enter US Airways’ work force."

[post="258482"][/post]​

So out of 1500 who have met with US, we've been able to hire or attract 375 of them? This is only a 25% rate of luck on those who are even interested to begin with. :down: And of those only 80% enter the workforce. :up: Outstanding job.

tadjr - If 1500 positions were actually open, then your math would be right. But, how many positions were actually open? Of course they're going to field thousands of applicants.

What those numbers show me, and management, is that PEOPLE WILL WORK FOR THOSE WAGES. The management knows this and, hence, sees no reason to pay higher.

PHL said:
What those numbers show me, and management, is that PEOPLE WILL WORK FOR THOSE WAGES. The management knows this and, hence, sees no reason to pay higher.
[post="258717"][/post]​

There is the question that has been unanswered as of yet...Do you want to "hire/work with/supervise and be responsible for" the people who will work for those wages?

When I worked for the Texas Employment Commission in Houston in the 70's, the Houston unemployment rate was below 4% most of the time, and at times would slip below 3%. When you get down to that level, what is left is those who do not want to work and the unemployable. I think that is what they are attracting at U these days.

What Coachrowsey posted about 8 out of 20 making it through the class speaks volumes. Either you are getting substandard applicants or the tests are way out of line with the requirements of the job. You have to ask, are these tests the same tests that the current employees had to pass or have they been made harder as the salary was lowered?

PHL said:
tadjr - If 1500 positions were actually open, then your math would be right. But, how many positions were actually open? Of course they're going to field thousands of applicants.

[post="258717"][/post]​

Those numbers were actually for PHL where they have just announced an employment office is going to be opened. I guess maybe the 25% number isnt accurate, but they are still filling positions so there were obviously more than 375 open and they still havent been able to fill the rest (with the 1500 that have applied so far) if they are having to open a special center just for applicants.

Back