Cockpit Jumpseat priority

I may be mistaken but I thought A1 A2 A3 A4 was based on time the person is but on the priority list and not by senority .
The only way someone would know what senority a person was would be by looking in the pnr.

The agent keeps track of the F/A j/s forms. It's normally kept together with the must-rides and space-positives, and is done manually.

yeh put the gate agent have to put the jumpseat rider on the priority list ...
gl1234-lastname # a1 or a2

then it is time stamped what time the person is on the priority list..
then the hierarhy is a1 a2 a3 a4 a5 a6 etc
so a1 will always beat a2 to a6
if there are two a1 then the you will see by g*l123/pall*h
who was checked in first.

thats my point

yeh put the gate agent have to put the jumpseat rider on the priority list ...
gl1234-lastname # a1 or a2

then it is time stamped what time the person is on the priority list..
then the hierarhy is a1 a2 a3 a4 a5 a6 etc
so a1 will always beat a2 to a6
if there are two a1 then the you will see by g*l123/pall*h
who was checked in first.
thats my point
Don't know Greek but I know my contract and it's by seniority, not check-in priority.

What you've heard is correct - we only do the door drill on the airplane we're qualified on, so pilots aren't allowed on the F/A jumpseat.

It may be something the FAA could give some leeway on - I've read here that some airlines let other airline's F/A's and pilots sit on the F/A jumpseat.

Jim

Why just stop at flight crew? I am not "door" qualified if I am sitting in 1C or 25D, but I bet I can get the door open if needed. I have been called on to sit in an exit row during an emergency (along with the rest of the nonrevs) to handle the overwing exits if needed. I have a passport and would have no problem with being CASS qualified. If I needed to go to a day class (on my own time even) to get "door qualified" I'd be willing to do that to have the "extra" seats available for me (after all "official" crew of course". ;) )
An empty jumpseat is a terrible thing to waste. :rolleyes: :up:

I know its a perk for the flight crews, but if someone else could be qualified to ride jumpseat, why restrict the priviledge other than to have one up? Remember, I am going to be more senior to your spouse or mom flying nonrev if you arent with them. Wouldnt they like an "extra" seat to play with when it comes time to clear?

At one time before we were allowed to jumpseat out of uniform; you would be expected to help the flight attendants with their service as if you were a part of the crew. I can see things changing rapidly. It also used to be that you would have to be FAA qualified to operate the specific a/c door on which you jumpseat ( that means NO EXPRESS)...now, Mesa ( so I've been told are allowed to j/s) so I assume that many more allowances will take place.
But it is just my opinion that jumpseats should be for crew only- doesn't matter what type, or which airline. We are trained during initial,yearly recurrent , and operate the door every time we are on an aircraft. No one-uppance intended.

I am all for opening up our jumpseats in order to fill the plane, I mean really, it sickens me to leave the gate knowing I have non revs upstairs and an empty seat of some sort on the aircraft.

Its not as far fetched as it may sound to allow other employees on the cockpit or cabin jumpseats after Flight crews. At the commuter airline I worked at just prior to coming to US West, it was policy for the cockpit jumpseat to be occupied by pilots, flight attendants, and then agents and other management, including mechanics. And yes, we had our agents up front many, many times to free up seats in the back. And yes, this was in place there both pre and post 9/11.

I am afraid however, that the company would place some sort of "cost" on this though, therefore nixing the idea. But you never know.....

I have also had the fortune of being on a cockpit jumpseat during an emergency, and can just say that having an extra 1 or 2 people there to help and assist can be a godsend.

If anyone cares or remembers, at TWA we had an L1011 go off the runway at JFK back in 1992. Part of the reason the evacuation was so successful was the fact that EVERY AVAILABLE jumpseat, both cockpit and cabin, were FULL. The FAA and NTSB credited the quick evacuation and no loss of life in part to the number of off duty employees that were on the aircraft and jumped into action when needed. There is a good website that talks about that accident, www.twaflight843.com.

Food for thought..... not just a way to get someone home, but you never know when that extra help may be needed.

Why just stop at flight crew? I am not "door" qualified if I am sitting in 1C or 25D, but I bet I can get the door open if needed. I have been called on to sit in an exit row during an emergency (along with the rest of the nonrevs) to handle the overwing exits if needed. I have a passport and would have no problem with being CASS qualified. If I needed to go to a day class (on my own time even) to get "door qualified" I'd be willing to do that to have the "extra" seats available for me (after all "official" crew of course". ;) )
An empty jumpseat is a terrible thing to waste. :rolleyes: :up:

I know its a perk for the flight crews, but if someone else could be qualified to ride jumpseat, why restrict the priviledge other than to have one up? Remember, I am going to be more senior to your spouse or mom flying nonrev if you arent with them. Wouldnt they like an "extra" seat to play with when it comes time to clear?

During non-emergency flights, extra non-working bodies get in our way and are a hindrance. I'm sorry but the galleys are very small spaces, OUR working spaces. I know that probably sounds bad, but if you are in our space and are unable to help us serve, then you are interfering.

But it is just my opinion that jumpseats should be for crew only- doesn't matter what type, or which airline. We are trained during initial,yearly recurrent , and operate the door every time we are on an aircraft. No one-uppance intended.

You're entitled to your line of thought of course, but I think it's looking at a very narrow view of what should happen should an emergency occur. Just because I have not been initially and recurrently trained on a door, does that mean when a "non FA" has to help open a door in an emergency, they are violating some kind of rule? I havent been officially trained in the safety demo either, but I could probably do it. ;)
I really dont see a difference between me sitting in the jump seat and opening a door or sitting in the last row and being the first one up to help open the door in an emergency. Am I supposed to sit there and wait for a F/A (who has been officially trained) to open up left, then jump over and open up right exit doors before I help? Also, you're willing to let "any crew-doesnt matter what type or which airline" to ride jumpseat. A Beechcraft or SAAB crew hasnt been advised how to open a 757 or 767 door and from first hand experience I know that East and West doors arent all the same either. This is where the "officially trained" line of thought doesnt really add up to me. And like I said, if I go and get trained on the doors and/or submit CASS paperwork, why would it be any different than if I were working in a function that allowed these items to begin with?

And just to get this on topic again, there are many many new agents in the system. They dont even know their contract so you cant expect them to know yours. Sure, they put out memos here and there about it, but I can guarantee that many dont see them. If there is a problem with the way its being done at the gate, just ask them what order they determined who got what. I would venture a guess that most dont have a clue there is a right and wrong way in your contracts to administer your jumpseats.

During non-emergency flights, extra non-working bodies get in our way and are a hindrance. I'm sorry but the galleys are very small spaces, OUR working spaces. I know that probably sounds bad, but if you are in our space and are unable to help us serve, then you are interfering.

Ditto standing behind the counter checking flights while I'm working an oversale. :shock: :ph34r:

;)

Ok....I have found the proof. This is from the Flight Operations Manual, Section 4.8.9, page 4-61

How to Check-In. The jumpseat is on a first-come, first-served basis in order
of priority code and check-in time if computer reservations are not listed.

This is for PILOT jumpseating. The flight attendants are on a seniority basis.Pilots are NOT.

Ok....I have found the proof. This is from the Flight Operations Manual, Section 4.8.9, page 4-61
How to Check-In. The jumpseat is on a first-come, first-served basis in order
of priority code and check-in time if computer reservations are not listed.

This is for PILOT jumpseating. The flight attendants are on a seniority basis. Pilots are NOT.
Righto. Sorry for jumping onto your thread. :)

It just gets confusing - two different groups (pilots & F/A's) working under two different contracts (East & West) when it comes to jumpseat. A state3ment that's absolutely correct for one of the four possible combinations can be absolutely wrong for another......

Jim

ps - I agree that it would be nice if there was broader access to the jumpseat (both cabin and cockpit). Just have to convince the company, then convince the FAA (especially for the cockpit jumpseat).

It just gets confusing - two different groups (pilots & F/A's) working under two different contracts (East & West) when it comes to jumpseat. A state3ment that's absolutely correct for one of the four possible combinations can be absolutely wrong for another......

Jim

ps - I agree that it would be nice if there was broader access to the jumpseat (both cabin and cockpit). Just have to convince the company, then convince the FAA (especially for the cockpit jumpseat).
I just hope that the FAA never gets to ride the cabin jumpseat. How will I read my magazines and talk on my cellphone?

Latest posts