Colgan Air

BCDurbin

Sep 15, 2004
This was in Tuesdays Virginina Pilot

"N AT ION

UNITED COMMUTER CHANGE United Airlines, the secondlargest U.S. airline, agreed to use commuter carrier Colgan Air Inc. for flights from Washington Dulles International Airport to six cities, replacing service by Shuttle America. Colgan will start the United Express flights Oct. 4 to towns including Charleston, W.Va., and Charlottesville. "

BCDurbin said:
This was in Tuesdays Virginina Pilot

"N AT ION

UNITED COMMUTER CHANGE United Airlines, the secondlargest U.S. airline, agreed to use commuter carrier Colgan Air Inc. for flights from Washington Dulles International Airport to six cities, replacing service by Shuttle America. Colgan will start the United Express flights Oct. 4 to towns including Charleston, W.Va., and Charlottesville. "
[post="288937"][/post]​

Yes, and apparently Colgan is looking at taking on a handful more Saabs for the contract. Since its acquistion of Shuttle, Republic has said it would stop all turboprop flying by the end of the year...looks like it is happening a littler sooner than planned (wonder if it has anything to do with the fact that the Republic and Shuttle Saab pilot groups have not yet worked out seniority issues). They won't have to in a few months!

Wow look at Colgan diversifying themselves... A year or so ago they were completely tied to US, which at the time was a very questionable situation. Now they are linked with CO & UA, plus US appears to be stable, at least for the short term.

Are the CO & UA contracts fee for departure or are they similar to the US one?

whlinder said:
Wow look at Colgan diversifying themselves... A year or so ago they were completely tied to US, which at the time was a very questionable situation. Now they are linked with CO & UA, plus US appears to be stable, at least for the short term.

Are the CO & UA contracts fee for departure or are they similar to the US one?
[post="289182"][/post]​

On the new UA deal, the UA announcement was very clear that it was NOT fee for departure. Colgan pay all their costs and get a share of the ticket revenue, like an interline.

Back to the future and the beginning of the end for fee for departure?

It makes sense if it is the beginning of the end of fee for departure. Legacy carriers can't afford to guarantee a profit for their regionals. And then they make money all those years and get fat and happy and then turn around and bite you in the ass like FlyI did to UA.

UA started it when they cut Great Lakes off. I think we'll see more of this arrangement in the future.

On October 3, when US Airways emerges from bankruptcy expect the Colgan contract to be dumped. That's why their United contract starts on Oct. 4th.

PropPiedmont said:
On October 3, when US Airways emerges from bankruptcy expect the Colgan contract to be dumped. That's why their United contract starts on Oct. 4th.
Well, that explains why Colgan's B1900 flights from IAD to AOO, BLF/BKW and SHD for US are generally timed to meet UA's hub banks. So I guess that those flights, most of which I believe are operated under the DOT's EAS program, will then be coded as "UA" flights at that time and supplement the recently-announced Saab 340 flights to be operated by Colgan for UA in six somewhat bigger IAD markets like CRW and CHO.

NewHampshire Black Bears said:
Talk about a Survivor(commuter airline)
COLGAN is DEFINITELY "IT" !!!
I agree, their management has certainly proven that they can adapt and change as the industry evolves. Plus they were lucky I suppose not to invest millions in 50 seat RJs, which are now hurting the legacies and regionals. A few years ago they were considering it, but I don't see how they possibly could be now. They are committed to the Saabs and will keep the 1900s on the EAS routes.

Does'nt Colgan have "connections" in DC(like Political "connections")
[post="289822"][/post]​
Chuck Colgan, the owner and founder, is a Virginia State Senator. I believe he is the most senior elected Senator in the VA State Senate. He is a Democrat in a mostly Republican county. I don't know what kind of connections that gives them in DC. Being based just outside DC (and soon to be the only passenger airline based in the DC area :( ) can't hurt either.

PropPiedmont said:
[post="289532"][/post]​

And of course we'll be the last ones to know! But so far we're not dumped yet! At least until next months bid comes out and we see how much Air Wisconsin takes from us all!

BCDurbin said:
And of course we'll be the last ones to know! But so far we're not dumped yet!  At least until next months bid comes out and we see how much Air Wisconsin takes from us all!
[post="310247"][/post]​

The contract was not renewed. Until Piedmont can get stored aircraft in flying condition again, Colgan will continue to fly a few saabs on a month to month basis. Piedmont doesn't have the aircraft or pilots yet to cover the Colgan (LGA) flying. Most likely it won't be until the Feb. 2006 time frame.

I apologize for making it sound as if all Colgan US Air Express flying was going to be dumped overnight.

The contract was not renewed. Until Piedmont can get stored aircraft in flying condition again, Colgan will continue to fly a few saabs on a month to month basis. Piedmont doesn't have the aircraft or pilots yet to cover the Colgan (LGA) flying. Most likely it won't be until the Feb. 2006 time frame.

I apologize for making it sound as if all Colgan US Air Express flying was going to be dumped overnight.

You didn't! Why don'tyou have enough planes or pilots? Did you at one time? Just tryin' to learn something new! And I still think we are both going to lose more to Air Wisc. than each other! - BCD

You didn't! Why don'tyou have enough planes or pilots? Did you at one time? Just tryin' to learn something new! And I still think we are both going to lose more to Air Wisc. than each other! - BCD

Our fleet stands at 57 with 3 in non-flying condition. I posted the following under a different thread about a week ago:

The only way PDT will ever see growth again, significant growth like when we had 82 D-8s with 13 more on order, is if we are sold. Piedmont Airlines once operated the largest Dash 8 fleet in the world. We all know the circumstances that brought a lot of airlines to their knees, and we have had enough time to not only survive, but to recover. I don't think US Airways cares about us, they never have. We have also always been a thorn in the sides of US Airways mainline pilots. The only way we will ever see growth and know our future plans is to break free from this company. We have been along for the ride for too long and we deserve to control our own destiny. PDT should have never let US Air purchase us. I wish Mr. Henson would have gone the way of the contract carriers and maintained separation between us and US Air. We never received anything in return to help secure our futures by becoming part of US Air. Unfortunately, US Air operates better in respect to its' contract carriers than its' Wholly Owned airlines. If Air Wisky or another airline were to purchase us, it would at least be a sign of hope.

As for PSA, I'm not sure about their feelings about this subject, but I would think that it is somewhat similar. As for US Airways pilots, they have all been around long enough to understand my frustrations and to have seen how PDT/PSA/ALG have been held back from growth. PDT/PSA, as employees of the US Airways group, also deserve to know what the future holds and we shouldn't have to worry about how we will be used next as a pawn in the constant battle between management and US Airways pilots.

As a pilot for Piedmont Airlines, I feel the animosity towards us from a lot of US airways pilots. I can only hope that at some point they see us as coworkers working on a common goal and, along with management, let us have a little piece of the pie.