Commuting on Southwest

So last week it was extremely tough to commute between PIT and PHL and PHL and PIT. Even more so than usual. As for what I heard in the crew room the other day there were over 50 yes folks 50 unable to commutes and they were ALL from Pittsburgh. BS. Either get here early or move. If scheduling thinks for one hot second that "I" will work int'l flights all summer long due to your not being able to get to work their in for a RUDE awakening.
Here's what new commuting folks will need to learn. You get on a plane when you can to get to work---not when you want to. I talk to PIT commuters that leave when they want and think that SW is a back up....but according to the contract, it says nothing about another carrier being a back up so the union needs to clarify this.
I went to/from PIT-PHL last week twice during spring break but spent a heck of a lot of time sitting in the PHL crew room. I planned occordingly which meant I went over on the 09:30 am flight for an 18:15 departure and my trip ended on Easter Sunday and I made it back fairly easily because it was mid-afternoon.
In my world I was on duty over 14 hours and was exhausted when I got to my RON. Calculating my flight pay divided by the time I spent for the company that day, I made $8.57 an hour. One of these days it just won't be worth it anymore and I'll quit. For now, I play it safe , get there early and spend a lot of sit time.

Leaving yourself NO backup is careless and SCREWS the next employee namely a reserve.

This is the part when I get confused. You say that by calling off sick or being unable to commute I am screwing a reserve. All this time, when I had to give up a trip I thought I was helping a reserve. Helping them pickup a trip that they could never hold through normal scheduling procedures. Offering reserves the opportunity to earn international pay and international per diem. Plus the opportunity to work two legs in three days. My mistake. I know the reserve system sucks and I know the guarantee is not close to maintaining any standard of living, I always figured reserves were on the payroll to protect flight operations. Mia culpa’.

I think we ALL have a responsibility to do our homework when it comes to commuting. Check the booking. Double check the weather and airport operations, inbound aircraft, crew legality, etc. But sometimes things happen. When unforeseen circumstances arise, that’s when we (the bitter, old blockholders) rely on scheduling to do what they have to in maintaining flight operations. And yes, that may mean calling out reserves.
:huh:

I'm asking because I really don't know...

It seems that most want these 'direct' flights. Is it possible and more convenient in the long run(than for example, not getting a flight, relying on fate, having to stay overnight, etc.) to get a flight that might fly out of the way and maybe you have to connect to another flight? If you get home hours late rather than not at all, has this option been considered? Does it exist? Example: Philadelphia-Buffalo-Pittsburgh. Philadelphia-Anywhere-Pittsburgh. These are just scenarios.

I might be talking nonsense, because I'm sure everyone did their homework and checked ALL AIRLINES, ALL FLIGHTS, and all scenarios. I know that If I was determined, I'd make it happen or have a back-up, including NOT commuting!

This is the part when I get confused. You say that by calling off sick or being unable to commute I am screwing a reserve. All this time, when I had to give up a trip I thought I was helping a reserve. Helping them pickup a trip that they could never hold through normal scheduling procedures. Offering reserves the opportunity to earn international pay and international per diem. Plus the opportunity to work two legs in three days. My mistake. I know the reserve system sucks and I know the guarantee is not close to maintaining any standard of living, I always figured reserves were on the payroll to protect flight operations. Mia culpa’. :huh:

Honey when I'm making min guarantee and don't have a snowballs chance in HELL of making my time...NO I DON'T need the trip. Thanks for the favor but Nosa Thanksa. As the company thinks I see you think that we reserves are here to work when a b/h doesn't want to or can't. THIS is part of the problem with this place.

Mental note: Bingo! :rolleyes:

N965VJ Direct Hit??? Did I sink your battleship? You make subtle threats and if you wish to hack my computer(I'm not accusing but it's been done before at this site) go for it. I need a new one. If you wish to discredit me as being airline ignorant, well congratulations and DUH!

You confuse me with someone who cares. Maybe you should be an almond joy bar and get some nuts. Shooting down my credibility just means that I struck a nerve. Yes, I look from outside of the box and thanx for enlightening me on the screwed-up world on the inside!

You don't sign my checks so I don't care what anyone thinks. Your entitled to your ALMIGHTY opinion and I'm entitled to mine. So go ahead and huffnpuff and blow me down! I'll ignore you like that flea on Paris' dog! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Isn't it the job of reserves to cover trips, regardless of why the trip is open?

The commuters didn't CHOOSE to close their base, some people can't just pack up their family and move.

Sounds like some junior folks may just have to learn to deal with it.

Isn't it the job of reserves to cover trips, regardless of why the trip is open?

The commuters didn't CHOOSE to close their base, some people can't just pack up their family and move.

If you really wanna open this can of worms.....my pleasure. First of all you are absolutely correct in the fact that the US Airways system uses reserves to cover trips when blockholders don't want to work. Not their fault but THAT is the system. It's WRONG in so many ways and unheard of at other airlines. But anyway, as for commuting I did it for ages and I don't care what song, dance, story or reason it all comes back to one thing...A CHOICE! ! ! SO MANY employees at this company have been displaced and I DO remember them saying in my open house session years ago that you and I quote, "Must be willing to relocate". Well THERE ya have it. Your JOB as a flight attendant be it reserve or blockholder is to show up for your checkin. If you know there is bad weather on the way ya better plan on coming a little earlier or even the day before. This calling off last minute because your "backup" of southwest which by the way is NOT considered your 'backup" when you get in trouble is complete BS. At least if you have a b/h on the west coast who couldn't make it that day for their int'l trip they call early and have all day to get it covered. Back to being forced to move...I know PLENTY that packed up their family and moved. Either suck it up or MOVE. I'm no fan of this management and what they did but it's DONE! ! ! I'm OVER it.

If you really wanna open this can of worms.....my pleasure. First of all you are absolutely correct in the fact that the US Airways system uses reserves to cover trips when blockholders don't want to work. Not their fault but THAT is the system. It's WRONG in so many ways and unheard of at other airlines. But anyway, as for commuting I did it for ages and I don't care what song, dance, story or reason it all comes back to one thing...A CHOICE! ! ! SO MANY employees at this company have been displaced and I DO remember them saying in my open house session years ago that you and I quote, "Must be willing to relocate". Well THERE ya have it. Your JOB as a flight attendant be it reserve or blockholder is to show up for your checkin. If you know there is bad weather on the way ya better plan on coming a little earlier or even the day before. This calling off last minute because your "backup" of southwest which by the way is NOT considered your 'backup" when you get in trouble is complete BS. At least if you have a b/h on the west coast who couldn't make it that day for their int'l trip they call early and have all day to get it covered. Back to being forced to move...I know PLENTY that packed up their family and moved. Either suck it up or MOVE. I'm no fan of this management and what they did but it's DONE! ! ! I'm OVER it.

If you really wanna open this can of worms.....my pleasure. First of all you are absolutely correct in the fact that the US Airways system uses reserves to cover trips when blockholders don't want to work.... I'm OVER it.

Who even mentioned "blockholders don't want to work," I said, when unforeseen circumstances arise. It is the reserves who are in place to protect the airline operations. I'm talking weather, delays, and mechanicals. (Sometimes airplanes actually break unexpectedly and all the planning you can do will not alleviate this situation.) Personally, I spend 3-5 nights a month in hotels. I like to be in base should something go wrong.

Now, back to your post, there may be some blockholders who don't want to work, this is going to happen. They could bid down to 40 hours and give the rest of the trips away. They could also quit. One thing is certain; regardless of the unnamed blockholders you are referring to; it is YOU who don't want to work.
Perhaps, if you truly are "over it" maybe it's time for you to move on. Just as the blockholders who don’t “want to come to work,” we don’t need you or your sore attitude.

Who even mentioned "blockholders don't want to work," I said, when unforeseen circumstances arise. It is the reserves who are in place to protect the airline operations. I'm talking weather, delays, and mechanicals. (Sometimes airplanes actually break unexpectedly and all the planning you can do will not alleviate this situation. Personally, I spend 3-5 nights a month in hotels. I like to be in base should something go wrong.
Are we talking about commuting here? I mean HELLO. A f/a not making it on their flight and leaving NO backup is not an "unforeseen circumstance".

Now, back to your post, there may be some blockholders who don't want to work, this is going to happen. They could bid down to 40 hours and give the rest of the trips away. They could also quit. One thing is certain; regardless of the unnamed blockholders you are referring to; it is YOU who don't want to work.
Perhaps, if you truly are "over it" maybe it's time for you to move on. Just as the blockholders who don’t want to come to work we don’t need you or your sore attitude
What in HELL are you talking about? I as a reserve don't want to work? Sweety your hat is on a bit tight. We are forced NOT to work at US. What are you talking about? When I'm called to work I work but It just pisses me off to no end that MANY and I do mean MANY don't make it to their checkin due to BAD PLANNING on their part. So because of their bad planning and my being a piss ant RESERVE I should have to take their trip? I just wanna make sure your coming in loud and clear. You CAN'T be US. :rolleyes: :blink:

George Bush is coming to PIT today....let's see how today's commuting goes with all the hold ups associated with a politician's visit. In addition, PA is a HOTSPOT politically so candidates will be coming in and out of PHL and PIT until the primary......that has the potential to cause one heck of a mess with people trying to get to work.

I'm curious...

I get the impression (correct me if I'm wrong) that at LCC, a missed trip due to commuting is not considered a "missed trip." It is a no-no at AA. Whether you don't get on a commuter flight or you overslept or you got stopped for speeding on the way to the airport, not reporting in time for your flight is a black mark on your record. Get enough of them and you can be terminated regardless of seniority. The only acceptable excuses are illness or death (yours). And, illness gets you on the attendance program if you call in more than once in a rolling 12-month period.