DAL has best earnings upside revisions in industry

WorldTraveler said:
I never said that HMVs cost 10K jobs... it is the AA folks who have argued repeatedly that the difference between AA and DL maintenance staffing justifies the 10K more employees that AA had prior to the merger.
no idea what you babbling about here.
What i said to you is you (falsely) said the MRO work means more the Delta employees than the work sent out. I am telling you Delta could dump every single MRO contract and bring just half the work they send out currently and you wouldn't even notice the loss of the MRO work.  

WorldTraveler said:
I can't tell you the specifics of why DL is not bringing in some of the similar family engines you are citing.... but I'm sure there are people in YOUR department who should be able to tell you why. I'd like to know the answer.
 why in the world would someone in the hangar be able to tell me about what they are doing in the engine shop? 

you wouldn't believe the misinformation management has of each other depts. I have had a manager get red faced mad because he just KNEW Delta did all of its engine overhauls in-house. 

till I made a few calls to some of the people I know on the engine side............ 

FrugalFlyerv2.0 said:
Can  you list 1 negative thing about DL?
I thought so,
WT..... we are waiting? 

FrugalFlyerv2.0 said:
What a great backhanded compliment.
typical from him. 

FrugalFlyerv2.0 said:
Kev, dawg, I don't know how you guys managed to survive at DL this long.
100x100px-LS-022505bf_89331-smileyBorg.jpg
Because thankfully WT isn't an example of the norm at Delta. At least on my side. 

However We had a guy like WT here before. I almost left then....then Gerry came along and saved the day. 

WorldTraveler said:
they've been kicking and screaming - or else making up all kinds of stuff on this board.
I haven't been kicking and screaming. I am pretty happy with my job. 
Once again, you can like your job and still have issues you wanted changed. Its not black and white here in the real world. Just because I am not willing to praise Delta for everything they do like you are doesn't mean i hate my job. 

WorldTraveler said:
nobody and esp. me is against demonstrating critical thinking.
..........Lying will send you right to hell...... 

WorldTraveler said:
dawg is a mechanic, not a maintenance scheduler.

the number of aircraft that DL has out of service in mods has been regularly tracked and posted on the internet.

DL has no more control or knowledge of DL's mod schedule than any one else.

if he wants to tell me specific issues that are related to the job he actually does, I'm all ears and respect him for doing so.
I have been in the planning side too. So I do have a general idea of what I am talking about. FWIW. 

its just not for me. one of these days I'll find a job to put those degrees to use.

Reactions: 2 people
if your IQ dropped, it wasn't because of anything anyone else could have done.

glad to know that I have a better sense of what DL insources and outsources than some of the people in your own organization. Not sure when DL last did all of its own engine work inhouse and I never said it. and I didn't have to make any calls to anyone to find out.

DL COULD eliminate insourcing and bring its own work back inhouse but that is not the formula it has chosen.

again, take it up with those in executive leadership including in Tech Ops to understand the numbers behind why DL believes it makes sense to focus on relatively fewer tasks and do work for both its own and other carriers' fleets instead of trying to do everything for DL's own fleet inhouse.

DL's net rate of outsourcing when including insourcing is lower than any other US carrier.

WorldTraveler said:
if your IQ dropped, it wasn't because of anything anyone else could have done.

glad to know that I have a better sense of what DL insources and outsources than some of the people in your own organization. Not sure when DL last did all of its own engine work inhouse and I never said it. and I didn't have to make any calls to anyone to find out.

DL COULD eliminate insourcing and bring its own work back inhouse but that is not the formula it has chosen.

again, take it up with those in executive leadership including in Tech Ops to understand the numbers behind why DL believes it makes sense to focus on relatively fewer tasks and do work for both its own and other carriers' fleets instead of trying to do everything for DL's own fleet inhouse.

DL's net rate of outsourcing when including insourcing is lower than any other US carrier.
Post the numbers........

it's on the very same site that you used to post regarding DL's rate of outsourcing.... but if you can't somehow find them, look at the MIT airline data project and then DL's rate of insourcing which is partly identified on DL's financial documents. other insourcing is included but DL does note how much is attributable to Tech Ops.

Even without maintenance insourcing, DL's rate of total maintenance outsourcing is nearly identical to the weighted average of AA plus US based on their size.

WorldTraveler said:
it's on the very same site that you used to post regarding DL's rate of outsourcing.... but if you can't somehow find them, look at the MIT airline data project and then DL's rate of insourcing which is partly identified on DL's financial documents. other insourcing is included but DL does note how much is attributable to Tech Ops.

Even without maintenance insourcing, DL's rate of total maintenance outsourcing is nearly identical to the weighted average of AA plus US based on their size.
numbers. 

AA+AAMRO+TAESL
DL+DLMRO

I don't believe it is fair to count US into AA's numbers yet. Just like it wouldn't have been fair to add in NW before DL/NW had merged US/AA don't have a TA yet. IF the they were to take AA's contract you will see AA bringing in a ton of MX. 

eolesen said:
Reading the forums here for the last 27 days have been quite refreshing.
Resolutions are good...

topDawg said:
I am pretty happy with my job. 
Once again, you can like your job and still have issues you wanted changed. Its not black and white here in the real world. Just because I am not willing to praise Delta for everything they do like you are doesn't mean i hate my job.
This runs counter to the narrative...

I have been in the planning side too. So I do have a general idea of what I am talking about.
Clearly you don't know your own reality. :rolleyes:

Reactions: 2 people
Kev3188 said:

Resolutions are good...

This runs counter to the narrative...

Clearly you don't know your own reality. :rolleyes:
WT knows all and we are just wrong. If he says the sky is red we should believe we are just color blind.... 

Reactions: 1 person
numbers. 

AA+AAMRO+TAESL
DL+DLMRO

I don't believe it is fair to count US into AA's numbers yet. Just like it wouldn't have been fair to add in NW before DL/NW had merged US/AA don't have a TA yet. IF the they were to take AA's contract you will see AA bringing in a ton of MX.
sorry, but it is just as fair to count AA and US together as it was to count DL and NW together.

paychecks come out of the same account.

IF AA and US actually turn things around so that AA ends up with a lot less outsourcing than US did, then you can certainly call it a success of the union.

given that AA was already on the way to outsourcing HMVs that AA once did and they haven't stopped that process, I doubt if we will see a huge turnaround in the overall numbers.

by the way, TAESL might be staffed with AA personnel but it is not the same as DL Tech Ops. only part of the profits from TAESL get to AA while Tech Ops is 100% owned by DL.

if you feel you are happy at DL, then I am glad to hear it.

WorldTraveler said:
sorry, but it is just as fair to count AA and US together as it was to count DL and NW together.
except I didn't till SOC. unlike you i play by the same rules. Talk to me about AA/US when they have a single work group, single TA and SOC. 

WorldTraveler said:
given that AA was already on the way to outsourcing HMVs that AA once did and they haven't stopped that process, I doubt if we will see a huge turnaround in the overall numbers.
Once again, AA was not on its way to dumping overhaul. They couldn't have. 
They were dumping *some* overhaul. Which a large chunk of it has come back in-house because......no **** its not cost effective to send it out. (and they aren't willing to play the ever changing vendor game like Delta is) 

WorldTraveler said:
by the way, TAESL might be staffed with AA personnel ........
STOP 
thats all I care about. 

because guess what, if Delta sets up a JV with RR in the same way (Delta employees but a cute little name) then I will say it is counted as Delta work. Why? because we are talking about staffing. Again you feel the need to jump around to make a point that is false. this is has been a discussion about QOL and staffing. 

So AGAIN 
numbers......

AA, AAMRO, TAESL
DL DLMRO 

Prove me wrong. 

if DL sets up a JV with RR - and it would be nice to think that DL managed to include that in its order for over 100 RR engines for the new Airbus fleet - then DL will STILL have insourcing work that AA does not bring in.

doesn't mean AA couldn't do it and won't.. but right now they are not.

The day AA/US merged was no different from the day that DL and NW merged in terms of labor. yes, there were fenced operations and still are at AA/US but there is nothing that stops PMAA from picking up outsourced work that US sent out. If it isn't US covered work, then AA should be able to pick that up.

and vice versa.

but that is not happening to any significant degree.

and while this has turned into a labor thread (surprise, surprise), now that all of the big 3 have reported, DL's numbers do look very good.

As I expected, DL is doing the best job on the revenue side and would clearly be way out front if it weren't for the hedge losses.

even on a pre-specials basis, DL had the highest profit among the US airlines (and that is the basis for DL employee profit sharing) which was about 10% better than AA and more than twice as good as UAL.

and btw, DL is now the 2nd largest US airline, bypassing UA.

WorldTraveler said:
if DL sets up a JV with RR - and it would be nice to think that DL managed to include that in its order for over 100 RR engines for the new Airbus fleet - then DL will STILL have insourcing work that AA does not bring in.

doesn't mean AA couldn't do it and won't.. but right now they are not.

The day AA/US merged was no different from the day that DL and NW merged in terms of labor. yes, there were fenced operations and still are at AA/US but there is nothing that stops PMAA from picking up outsourced work that US sent out. If it isn't US covered work, then AA should be able to pick that up.

and vice versa.

but that is not happening to any significant degree.

and while this has turned into a labor thread (surprise, surprise), now that all of the big 3 have reported, DL's numbers do look very good.

As I expected, DL is doing the best job on the revenue side and would clearly be way out front if it weren't for the hedge losses.

even on a pre-specials basis, DL had the highest profit among the US airlines (and that is the basis for DL employee profit sharing) which was about 10% better than AA and more than twice as good as UAL.

and btw, DL is now the 2nd largest US airline, bypassing UA.
Are you going to post the numbers or not........

"Know the competition, respect the competition and be humble.

*All of our competitors are superior to us in some aspect of the business.
*Do not be dismissive of them or we will let down our guard and get beat."

Reactions: 3 people