DL posts strong profit, maintains advantages

Status
Not open for further replies.
700UW said:
DL outsources all its heavy checks, compare checks to checks and not components.

And US doesnt have the capacity to absorb TUL at CLT or PIT if TUL is closed.

question, what airframe stuff do you guys do in-house and what is sent out?

yes we know you want to see airframe overhauls done in house and that the number of total employees in Tech Ops may be less than the combined DL/NW total but DL has offered one voluntary program after another and there have been many, many Tech Ops employees who have chosen to leave the company.

Others have moved into other areas, including line and engine overhauls.

They adapted with DL's changing business.

The vast majority of them are perfectly ok with that.

How many other airlines have a joint venture with the company to which they outsource their maintenance? I don't think any do.
It just means that instead of sending aircraft to MRO providers which DL doesn't control or have any chance of getting anything back in return, DL is using an MRO with a partner in the passenger and maintenance business. DL will be able to retain a portion of the profits from that outsourcing business and will also gain additional work for Tech Ops and allow the MRO to compete for business which DL couldn't profitably do on its own. The MRO in Mexico does part of the work which DL can't profitably do while DL mechanics in ATL will do work for which DL can compete with anyone on a global basis.

Your discussion of the subject seems to be driven by fear and a lack of any real information on how the Maintenance JV will play out in real life including in increased work for DL Tech Ops in ATL.

BTW, we are glad you are back and participating. More volume and more discussion is good for the board.

Thanks for sharing part of your day with us!

Reactions: 1 person
WorldTraveler said:
yes we know you want to see airframe overhauls done in house and that the number of total employees in Tech Ops may be less than the combined DL/NW total but DL has offered one voluntary program after another and there have been many, many Tech Ops employees who have chosen to leave the company.
cool story, don't care. 
What is nice is that they are back filling with contractors. 
Others have moved into other areas, including line and engine overhauls.
not really. Contractors....have back filled. 
They adapted with DL's changing business.
yes, they are stupid....whats your point? 90% of them b**ch about it. Just very few will speak up enough to get things done. 
The vast majority of them are perfectly ok with that.
horse crap. you wont find many guys in the hangar that have a warm and fuzzy feeling about the Mexico hangar or the massive influx of contractors. 
You find even fewer you support that the company sends overhauls out. 

They are just scared of those evil union dues. 
How many other airlines have a joint venture with the company to which they outsource their maintenance? I don't think any do. two things. 
TAESL is the same idea. Rolls and AMR. Just that pesky union at AA made sure they are AA employees. Not contractors. 
and....good for Delta. They can't find anyone to do the work as well as it was done in house. Hopefully this plan fails just as bad as the outsourcing plan did. 
It just means that instead of sending aircraft to MRO providers which DL doesn't control or have any chance of getting anything back in return, DL is using an MRO with a partner in the passenger and maintenance business. Delta has an in-house company that they have even more control over DL will be able to retain a portion of the profits from that outsourcing business and will also gain additional work for Tech Ops and allow the MRO to compete for business which DL couldn't profitably do on its own. cart before the horse. Goal one of this thing is to get Delta overhauls under one roof. Goal two is maybe MRO work, but i expect PSVs to go and MSP to be shut down. The MRO in Mexico does part of the work which DL can't profitably do while DL mechanics in ATL will do work for which DL can compete with anyone on a global basis. which is why TechOps is doing said work for airlines now. UPS hates money. 

Your discussion of the subject seems to be driven by fear and a lack of any real information on how the Maintenance JV will play out in real life including in increased work for DL Tech Ops in ATL.your gosh damn right. The company has done nothing but kick us in the balls. 
what in world would make you think that I believe this time it will be and different? I don't think they have told the truth on big things like this since BK. 

nope. Im sorry. Out of about 13-15 things, the JT8D-219s are still done in house. so less than 1% of the time they don't lie. You would be happy with those odds?

BTW, we are glad you are back and participating. More volume and more discussion is good for the board.

Thanks for sharing part of your day with us!

Anyone that has read this board.....

and it seems to me that what he is really saying is that the majority of his peers are content with the situation the way it is right now - or aren't willing to make any kind of change.

That is EXACTLY what I have been saying for quite some time.

So you speak for everyone on this site now? 

Whatever.  :rolleyes:

At any rate, it seems to me that he spent today's small hours pretty much refuting a bunch of your posts. I may just be a "trash" (as you put it), but as an "actual DL employee," I would think he'd be in a much better position to weigh in on the mood  in Tech Ops than someone that walked off the property several years ago...

Reactions: 2 people
topDawg said:

question, what airframe stuff do you guys do in-house and what is sent out?
US does 50% of all HMV billable hours in-house, line maintenance is all done in-house.

737s were done in-house, CLT just did the last heavy check on them as they are being retired next year.

Done in-house is the narrow body Airbus, A319, A320, A321.

Pre-op mods are now done in-house and some of the widebody work is being in-sourced, since CLT has capacity now since the 737s are done, and I include 757s when I am talking about the widebodies, which are 757, 767, A330-300 and 200s.

So you speak for everyone on this site now? 

Whatever.   :rolleyes:

At any rate, it seems to me that he spent today's small hours pretty much refuting a bunch of your posts. I may just be a "trash" (as you put it), but as an "actual DL employee," I would think he'd be in a much better position to weigh in on the mood  in Tech Ops than someone that walked off the property several years ago...
I only speak for those who can read.... he has been pretty clear about what he wants DL to do.

We don't have to have an on-the-ground research team to figure out exactly what he says here... DL employees won't vote for unions. I can figure that out whether I am 500 feet or 5000 miles away.

He and you have griped for years that DL employees won't support a union - but he acknowledges exactly what I have said - that they aren't unhappy enough to give up what does work for them.

The question is why you see the world so much differently than so many other DL employees.

Reactions: 2 people
ok...let's take a step back.

Do you or do you not believe that topDawg has a desire to see airframe overhauls done by DL employees in-house?

because even if it is true, you couldn't admit it is true?

I think you have a lot of unanswered questions on that Tim Nelson thread that you just walked away from too.

Status
Not open for further replies.