Dallas Morning News Article (Steve Blow)

wnbubbleboy

Veteran
Aug 21, 2002
By God Indiana
Let me give you an update on some past columns, and I have to start with a sorrow.

Jeff Bogg, the former Southwest Airlines mechanic fired over a racial controversy, has died at age 50.

Jeff suffered a massive stroke Easter Sunday evening. He died a few days later on April 21.

He was such a strong character that it's hard to believe he could be gone so suddenly. I extend deepest sympathies to his wife, Peggy, and to all of Jeff's family.

That whole saga remains a sorrow for me – a missed opportunity for racial healing.

To recap, at a Southwest Airlines Christmas party, Jeff said "say monkey" to a family having its picture made. It was a variation on "say cheese" he had heard at a party the night before.

But the family was black and heard something that sounded like a racial taunt to them. Jeff admitted he had too much to drink that night, so the words may have come out in a more offensive way than intended.

It seemed like the sort of thing handled with an apology, a reprimand, maybe a bit of sensitivity training. But Jeff was stunned when he was fired.

Jeff always believed it was politics. The black colleague is the brother of state Sen. Royce West. And Mr. West called airline management to express his family's deep displeasure. He said he couldn't recall whether he asked for Jeff to be fired.

If there's a bright note here, Jeff's pride in the airline never wavered. His obituary simply noted he was "an aviation mechanic and was a dedicated employee with Southwest Airlines for 16 years."

And Jeff's family reports that Southwest was thoughtful in making arrangements for more than 100 airline employees to attend his funeral.

Rest in peace, Jeff. And to us, live in peace.

he was a Maintenance Manager (not a mechanic)who should have known better. just like many other companies when a leader makes an inappropiate remark he is either fired or forced to resign and such was the case. but it's all water under the bridge now

Back