DC-9: The end of an era is near

Delta will operate a total of 26 DC-9 flights on January 6, 2014:
  • Birmingham, AL.-Atlanta, GA.
  • Nashville, TN.-Atlanta, GA.
  • Atlanta, GA.-Panama City Beach, FL.-Atlanta, GA.
  • Greensboro, NC.-Atlanta, GA.
  • Atlanta, GA.-Huntsville, AL-Atlanta, GA.
  • Atlanta, GA.-Jackson, MS.-Atlanta, GA.
  • Atlanta, GA.-Chicago, IL.-Atlanta, GA.
  • Savannah, GA.-Atlanta, GA.
  • Atlanta, GA.-Tallahassee, FL-Atlanta, GA.
  • Two flights on this routing: Atlanta, GA.-Little Rock, AR.-Atlanta, GA.
  • Two flights on this routing: Atlanta, GA.-Cleveland, OH.-Atlanta, GA.

Me too, I am going to miss seeing those North Central reg numbers!

I'm going to try and bid off in Jan and snag a seat on one of em :)

Reactions: 1 person
I can say that I have a small piece of me in each and every DC-9 that operated at NWA until 2005.

A great aircraft. I remember proudly looking at the ones that I had worked on. I kept a little logbook of every aircraft I worked and each big job I completed. Our team replaced landing gear attach fittings on many.

The one that my crew rebuilt the nose on after a tug got away from someone. The window belt doublers, trap panel replacements, TCAS/GPWS Mods, and of course, the hangar queens.

What great memories. What was really great was learning from some of the fantastic former EAL mechanics that NWA/ATL was fortunate enough to get on the cheap during and after the strike. Those guys were the best.

Those guys and the ATL (old Southern Airways/Republic) hangar were the sole reason NWA was able to pull off keeping that fleet flying for 10-12 years past the life expectancy.

It would be nice if all the former operational NWA/DL folks could share a story about "The Nine"

Let's hope this thread doesn't turn into another...well never mind.

Great idea!

I'm not sure I can just pick one.

I'm pretty sure there is a piece of me in most of the fleet. What ESE hasn't cracked their head on the cargo door assembly?  :lol:

I remember being very impressed (and proud) of the refurb project..

...Then relieved as it paid off in the ensuing years.

Speaking of the ATL base, I can remember looking at the shop list, and thinking, "WTF is shot peen?"

Powerbacks.

The very "old school" nature of a lot of DC9 captains.

Calling OCC and trying to wrangle an upgauge to a -50... or settling for a -40. One of the agents here used to send cookies up there. Not sure it was near as successful as we liked to think, but at least they took our calls. 

Using the "fishing pole" to check for ice.

One time, we had a -50 get stuck on a taxiway. Two Chiefs went out to tow it into the ramp. Somehow it "flung" the pusher like a rag doll into the fuselage, just under the pilot's window- just missing both guys by inches. It's some of the most harrowing security cam footage you'll ever see. 

Spending countless hours in the middle of the night with all kinds of motley crews cleaning 'em. 

I'm sure more'll come to me, and I hope people chip in as well...

I wouldn't trade any of it for anything.

LA Times Feb 21, 2005
"DC-9 Strategy Helps Northwest"
By upgrading fleet of the aging jetliner, the airline is able to steer clear of some problems that plague its rivals.

Glenn Quagmire said:
I can say that I have a small piece of me in each and every DC-9 that operated at NWA until 2005.

A great aircraft. I remember proudly looking at the ones that I had worked on. I kept a little logbook of every aircraft I worked and each big job I completed. Our team replaced landing gear attach fittings on many.

The one that my crew rebuilt the nose on after a tug got away from someone. The window belt doublers, trap panel replacements, TCAS/GPWS Mods, and of course, the hangar queens.

What great memories. What was really great was learning from some of the fantastic former EAL mechanics that NWA/ATL was fortunate enough to get on the cheap during and after the strike. Those guys were the best.

Those guys and the ATL (old Southern Airways/Republic) hangar were the sole reason NWA was able to pull off keeping that fleet flying for 10-12 years past the life expectancy.

It would be nice if all the former operational NWA/DL folks could share a story about "The Nine"

Let's hope this thread doesn't turn into another...well never mind.
best I have is some the non-routine stuff. 

nothing really great from me. They go by the jetbase and make a bunch of noise.... AMMs for them suck....no idea how you NW guys did that.

But I haven't seen much of the 9s.  heck, haven't been seeing "much" of the 88s with the PSVs moving to MSP. (still getting plenty of 90s for LED mods) 

I will say, I won't be sad to see them go. Now....the 57s.....that hurts.  :angry2:

The DC9 was a large reason why DL was able to quickly gain market share from EA in the late 80s and early 90s. DL intentionally held onto the 9s and then used them to grow the network, often starting service in strong EA markets where DL came in as the newcomer but within a few years was the dominant carrier.

The DC9 retirement date has been moved multiple times because DL has had opportunities to keep the plane in service, even if at low levels of utilization.

The 757 is the flex capacity in DL's network today. There are markets that DL can use the capacity of the 757 in on a limited basis in, perhaps only for a summer. The 757s will leave the fleet in significant numbers over the next few years but their departure can be strategically timed to allow capacity to be added where DL has opportunity to profitably serve markets even on a short-term, seasonal, or even less than daily basis.
Given that DL is very good at reshuffling its fleet assignments on a daily basis, new markets don't necessarily have to be flown with 757s but 757s can upgrade for M80s/320s/738s which themselves can be redeployed on new flights.

I remember during the 1991 World Series, we stenciled a tomahawk on the nose (by the ext pwr door) of several DC-9's that we sent out of the hangar. We deliberately stenciled the ones that were of ATL-MSP.

We had some calls from the Managers up in MSP, but our Management team stood behind us and egged it all on. Great fun. Some still say that World Series was one of the greatest ever played.

I remember everyone working day shift was dragging each day after those extra inning games.

On another note, this is one of the best posts I have seen on this forum in a long time:

"This post is hidden because you have chosen to ignore posts by WorldTraveler"

Reactions: 3 people

Latest posts