Delta, American and United - next 787 operators?

FWIW...

If you drive by Boeing Field in Seattle, parked next to the big green guppy (747 modified to transport the fuselage of a 787), you will see an AA 777 parked. I have been told that it is on loan/being leased to (not sure which) to Boeing for 787 testing.

It seems they have the cockpit controls for a 787 installed in the left-hand seat with the original 777 cockpit controls in the right-hand seat. So, when they are testing the 787 flight controls, if anything goes wrong the right seat can take over flying the a/c. Cool, huh? :)

At one time it was possible that the A350 might have been selected by some US airlines, but with the delays for that program, it is inevitable that the 787 will become like the 757 in being selected by every US network airline.

FWIW...

If you drive by Boeing Field in Seattle, parked next to the big green guppy (747 modified to transport the fuselage of a 787), you will see an AA 777 parked. I have been told that it is on loan/being leased to (not sure which) to Boeing for 787 testing.

It seems they have the cockpit controls for a 787 installed in the left-hand seat with the original 777 cockpit controls in the right-hand seat. So, when they are testing the 787 flight controls, if anything goes wrong the right seat can take over flying the a/c. Cool, huh? :)

That's awesome. Nice of American to lend a hand :)

At one time it was possible that the A350 might have been selected by some US airlines, but with the delays for that program, it is inevitable that the 787 will become like the 757 in being selected by every US network airline.

I sure HOPE so!!! Greeter.

I would think all 3 are candidates for the B787, but an order may not materialize for a while, if at all, from any of them. I would think that of all USA airlines that USAirways is the most likely to order the B787 because they are severely lacking in widebodies with distance down the line, unless an A/B order pops up soon. just my thoughts..........

I would think all 3 are candidates for the B787, but an order may not materialize for a while, if at all, from any of them. I would think that of all USA airlines that USAirways is the most likely to order the B787 because they are severely lacking in widebodies with distance down the line, unless an A/B order pops up soon. just my thoughts..........
US will sooner take more A330s than a new type. They currently have 9 A330-300s flying with deliveries of 10 A330-200's coming in 2008-2009. If the A350 gets moving, then they will get those down the road, as well (US launch customer).

Interstingly, their 10 767-200's will be undergoing cabin refurb to incorporate lie-flat biz seats, so those are obviously part of the long term plans. Maybe adding 767-300's would be an option to keep the maint./pilot training costs in line.

US is already obligated to the 350 unless the program fails or changes so substancially that it is no longer viable (pretty high hurdle). Unless something has changed??? Airbus provided a lot of financing for the HP/US deal with the stipulation they go with the 350...

Unless something has changed??? Airbus provided a lot of financing for the HP/US deal with the stipulation they go with the 350...
Airbus provided a loan as part of US' bankruptcy exit. It has been paid back already. So, there's no obligation there.

If the A350 program slips significantly beyond the dates, then that would presumably give US the room they need to get out of the deal. Same with the performance numbers. Airbus has already said they have to look at the A350 program again in light of the continued delays and money spent on the A380. Some have taken that to mean it may not get underway for some time, if at all. But the 10 A330-200's coming in the next 3 years for US will help their intl. expansion quite a bit so not having a 350 or 787 right away won't be a huge disadvantage just yet.

Back