Delta (finally) adds -8 to the CF34 line

DL is one of the most profitable and highest valued airlines in the world.

If they were screwing up as badly as you would like to portray, they wouldn't be making the money they are.

It also doesn't change that your previous statement about US' amount of outsourcing was completely inaccurate.

You truly can't get thru your head that airframe overhauls are far from the total amount of maintenance work that is done.
How many engine overhauls does US send out? Avionics and components?

Congratulations. Your union managed to retain 50% of a small set of work while allowing far more valuable parts in terms of money to go out the door.

US does in fact have the highest level of maintenance outsourcing among the network/legacy carriers and the amount of outsourcing has increased more than 50% over the past 5 years.

The data is there but you refuse to look at it because it would prove that your highly limited definition is inaccurate and incomplete.

57.8%

US also has no significant insourcing so everything they send out the door translates to lost jobs.

In contrast, DL obtains on a monetary basis insourcing contracts that are worth about 25% of the total amount they spend on maintaining their own mainline fleet - and that number does include what they outsource.
When considering DL's insourcing contracts, DL's net outsourcing percent is in the teens, lower than any other carrier in the US.

You will never learn, will you?

Company base maintenance employees will perform fifty
17 (50%) percent or greater of all aircraft base maintenance work,
18 inclusive of narrow and wide-body aircraft, as follows: On an
19 annualized basis, for every billable hour of work from aircraft base
20 maintenance vendors performing Company base maintenance
21 work; modification work; scheduled drop in maintenance; and any
22 drop-in maintenance relating to fuselage damage or any other
23 damage, there will be an equal or greater number of paid hours to
24 Company base maintenance employees. This includes Company
25 Lead Mechanics, Mechanics, Inspectors, Utility and Lead Utility
26 (combined) assigned to base maintenance.

Livery work may be outsourced and the billable hours do
39 not count as base maintenance work, but other work performed by
40 the vendor during the livery visit may be outsourced and the
41 billable hours for such other work will count towards base
42 maintenance work.
44 Aircraft lease return maintenance visits may be
45 outsourced and the vendor’s billable hours will count towards base
46 maintenance work.

to the union and/or the union’s advisor, documentation
3 necessary to verify the Company’s compliance with outsourcing
4 provisions including a summary of the previous calendar year’s
5 base maintenance paid hours and vendor airframe base
6 maintenance billed hours. On an ongoing basis the Company will
7 provide to the Union no later than the end of the following month a
8 summary of the previous month’s base maintenance vendor’s
9 billable hours including tail numbers of the aircraft.
11 In any year where the vendor billed hours are more than
12 fifty (50%) percent of the total combined vendor billed hours and
13 the Company base maintenance paid hours, such deficit hours will
14 be added to the current calendar year required company base
15 maintenance paid hours.
17 The Company will not furlough to the street any Base
18 Mechanic who is active as of the effective date of this agreement
19 provided such employee exercises their seniority to the fullest
20 extent. (Subject to force majeure provisions as described in Article
21 5.F and 20.D.2)
22 The Company shall maintain a minimum headcount of six
23 hundred seventy-five (675) active Base Maintenance Lead
24 Mechanics, Mechanics, Inspectors, Lead Utility and Utility
25 employees combined. (Subject to force majeure provisions as
26 described in Article 5.F and 20.D.2.)
28 The Company may continue to outsource the East 737
29 scribe work ongoing and such work will count towards the vendor
30 hours for the fifty (50%) percent calculation.

yes, I've learned that you are so dead set to focus on your jilted view of reality that you will exclude all else in order to have your view remain intact, even if it is completely wrong.

Congratulations on your cut and paste job. It doesn't change that US outsources 57.8% of the money it spends on maintenance.

apparently that contract isn't as ironclad as you thought it was. US execs have a good laugh every time you bring the subject up and give me the opportunity to highlight how wide the hole was that was left by the negotiators.

I'm happy to oblige them.

So if DL serves Asia, then why are they ferrying an outsourced A332 from SIN-ATL with four crew members, thats real efficient.

NOT!

N851NW is done with the flat-bed refurbishment, and is being ferried nonstop from SIN to ATL today (Sunday 26 May). It is DL9971.
that flight was 18 1/2 hours. Probably one of the longest flights DL has ever flown and probably one of the longest for an A330.

And IIRC the 330s still sport the NW designator in their registrations.

Not bad for the lesser engine, non-advanced 330s that DL possesses - no passengers or not.

someone provided airlineroute with a screen shot of the flight which shows it took off from SIN at 1200 noon and landed in ATL at 6.34 pm for 18 hrs and 34 minutes in the air.

http://airlineroute.net/2013/05/27/dl-26may13/

Removing enough fuel to carry passengers and then adding back the higher TOW which the new 332s will be capable of still gives the 332 the capability to operate 14-15 hour flights, meaning the 332 is capable of competing with the 787-8 in range and capacity and slots between the 767-300ER and 777-200ER in range and capacity.

and it was still in the air for 18 1/2 hours.... even if you take off enough fuel to account for 235 passengers and bags, the plane still could have flown for over 13 hours. Add in the extra range the enhanced 332 will have and the 330 becomes a very viable competitor to the 787 which Airbus is undoubtedly offering for far less... and I wouldn't be surprised if they helped foot the bill for the flight and welcomed the flight as part of their negotiations with DL. DL made Airbus look really good with this flight.... there is all kinds of chatter in aviation circles about the flight. For any aircraft, it was quite an event but given that many people have the 330 pegged as not capable of longhaul flying, this flight shattered those ideas.

Remember that DL has been fighting with Boeing for months about subsidies via the Exim Bank. Even if DL doesn't get subsidies from Airbus (they cannot as a US carrier), they can still drive home their point to Boeing.

While AA and US and UA all have billions of dollars of Airbus aircraft on order, DL does not. DL hasn't ordered an Airbus aircraft since the replacement A310 aircraft for Pan Am's fleet that DL quickly returned because they didn't deliver what DL needed and Airbus promised. Airbus did their homework, is a very credible supplier to alot of airlines, and are now back trying to sell planes to DL... and I have a feeling they are really close to succeeding. The symbolism of the flight and an Airbus order are and will be very significant for the US industry even if DL's order will be tiny compared to what AA/US have on order with Airbus.

Help foot the bill?

Dude are you serious?

GO enjoy some BBQ and back away from the keyboard.

yeah, I am.

It is well within the realm of possibility that DL and Airbus could have partnered on this flight as part of DL's potential order for new aircraft. DL has received an enormous amount of publicity for what would otherwise have been a simple ferry flight..... and it is precisely to the point that there are a whole lot of other ways to get a plane back from Asia if DL wanted to do so... it is precisely because DL does maintenance in Asia that they have a system in which widebody aircraft often are routed as regular passenger flights thru NRT and perhaps even on the intra-Asia leg. It is precisely because DL DIDN'T do that on this flight that there is focus - because that is precisely how they do operate on a normal basis.

I may be wrong... but I think there is more behind this ferry flight than just getting a plane from one side of the world to the other.... very few airlines, DL included, operate 10,000 mile nonstop ferry flights.

My guess is DGS... let us know.

I just got back from DTW. Have to admit seeing the odd piece of still grey or red equipment that survived the ethnic cleansing made me smile.

As best I can tell they are DGS. I asked if they are Delta Global Service and they said "yes we are Delta". I explained I know this is Delta AIr Lines but asked who employs ground personnel and was again told "Delta" so I gather it is DGS. Everything went smoothly, but a full flight.

Josh

Latest posts