Delta has new competition in ATL

usa1

Veteran
Oct 6, 2008
How do you think Delta will response to their new competition in ATL, Southwest?

AirTran - Southwest merger?

at.jpg

Herb Kelleher said on FOXNEWS yesterday that the routes out of ATL will be altered ... the merged companies will fly to many new WN destinations from ATL.

DL is about to get "squeezed" ($$$) in an area of the anatomy where it Really hurts !

With Southwest now in ATL, with a "move" that will reverberate through the Industry, mostly with NEGATIVE effects for almost All other carriers, A non Union DL ramper or F/A would be commiting suicide if they did Not have a union to protect their job. This IS one of those times where a union becomes a necessary evil(in the minds of some people).

I personally believe that WN's announcement LOCKED UP this union vote for the YES voters !

This ain't no B6! This is an airline that takes aim and survives!From all the hype that was generated during the Delta/ Northwest merger, I find it fascinating that LUV keeps its affairs secret for the most part.

What will Delta do? Well, how did you handle Air-Trash so far? Imagine that to the 10th power :lol:

This ain't no B6! This is an airline that takes aim and survives!From all the hype that was generated during the Delta/ Northwest merger, I find it fascinating that LUV keeps its affairs secret for the most part.

What will Delta do? Well, how did you handle Air-Trash so far? Imagine that to the 10th power :lol:
They did'nt do anything before, they had Eastern Airlines competing for passengers, then when Eastern died, they had the chance to make it a true "fortress" hub, but noooooooo, with the arrogance of being the top dog at ATL, they let little ol' AirTran get a foothold.

"But we at Delta circumvent the world", were too big to fail.

Southwest is starting with 271 flights out of ATL, 737's will be competing with CRJ's in what DL thinks are smaller markets.

Southwest's average passenger airfare is $131.82 one-way,

I mentioned in an earlier post, about a "reverberation" effect, and how it could effect DL/ATL ramp voters who may be "sitting on the fence" as far as the on-going election is concerned.

What happens to a DL "out" station, who has FT "real" (current) DL non union rampers there.......AND finds themselves having to Relocate, because WN is "kicking the STUFF" out of DL, forcing them to turn it over to a subsidiary. Well, in a lot of cases, the out-station FSC packs up and bumps in to ATL.

The Bottom of the BOTTOM line is this. Even though I predict that the IAM would win the election "pre WN announcement", Now that this WN thing is becoming a reality, it is Absolutely imperative
to have a contract that would spell out seniority/bumping rights should the "above" scenario that I outlined above become a reality.

It makes zero difference if your a DL ramper in SLC or BOS or ATL or MCO etc, etc, etc.
This WN "thing" in ATL is going to have an effect on DL, and I'm NOT speaking about a Positive effect.

You purchase Insurance on your car and home and family correct ????

Well in this case, you'd be Very Wise to "purchase" the protective insurance,......"while its in an OPEN-Enrollment phase" !

T H I N K..............and Vote !

Industry analysts are of general agreement that this is no big deal for DL.

WN is a HIGHER cost competitor than FL which means fares are likely to go up.

WN has a stronger position in the west which likely means more nonstops or one stops to the west.

DL competed against an irrational and wounded Eastern Airlines for several years before its death and now has succeeded very well against AirTran which has decided it cannot compete against DL and is reducing capacity.

WN will find its place in ATL but it will hardly be earth-shaking .. and if anything will only lead to more flights from DL which is good for DL people.

Remember that the ATL airport is pretty close to gate constrained so WN has to figure out how to use its gates and its flights most efficiently if it is to make a mark in ATL.

Further, WN's presence at ATL is likely to cause DL to increase the size of ATL which makes it even harder for other carriers to find a place on the east coast against DL - which already carries more passengers and revenue east of the Mississippi than any other airline - more than 25% of all passengers and revenue. In fact many people do not realize that DL carries more revenue in more regions of the US than any other network carrier - and the CO/US merger doesn't change that.

DL is the largest network carrier on the east coast, the midwest,and the mountain regions, and to/from Alaska/Hawaii. The only regions where DL is not the largest airline are the west coast where it is the #2 network carrier behind UA and the southwest where both AA and CO are headquartred and have hubs.

DL also has the lowest costs of any of the network carriers.

DL is very wel positioned to compete against WN which is why analysts expect both will do fine in ATL.

I have heard that given SWA never served some places like ATL may be its time for the Air Tran folks to transfer there

They did'nt do anything before, they had Eastern Airlines competing for passengers, then when Eastern died, they had the chance to make it a true "fortress" hub, but noooooooo, with the arrogance of being the top dog at ATL, they let little ol' AirTran get a foothold.

"But we at Delta circumvent the world", were too big to fail.

Southwest is starting with 271 flights out of ATL, 737's will be competing with CRJ's in what DL thinks are smaller markets.

Southwest's average passenger airfare is $131.82 one-way,
" BRING IT ON BABY"

Back