Delta removes y/c seats after f/a input

WorldTraveler said:
reality would be simply you providing evidence that DL intended to use the additional 739s ALONE - not even talking about the E190s - for mainline replacement.
not sure what part of that you don't understand.  I can't help you learn to read wt. 

I'm just looking for evidence to back up your statement that the additional 739ERs were to be used solely for replacement.

Reactions: 1 person
Kev3188 said:
Now that we're spending money to reconfigure the reconfiguration, I have to ask; where was the input/planning the first time around?
good question, we do have inflight reps when reviewing a/c configurations, however 
I guess the bean counters won the first go around.
and of course, millions of $$ later......

I suspect you're right.

I really think that this is the sort of thing that our company needs to get out in front of. Health/safety teams, ASAP, Pro Stan, and "real" input throughout the design process(es) would save a lot of resources over the long run. If they truly want to be "nimble," these are great areas to start in.

True but can you agree that at least they admit their mistakes and are rectifying them? 

Sure it's nice that they're rectifying them, though I'm cynical enough to glance askance at how much "advertising" of it they're doing...

I would just like to see these mistakes not happen in the first place, and I think there is no shortage of experience/knowledge/whatever to make that happen.

yes in a perfect world. 
not everyone gets it right 100% of the time
in this case it has cost Delta Millions.  Hopefully
some heads did roll and hopefully they have learned
from their mistakes.
Also shows the power of the F/A's and the direct relationship we have.
Mistakes happen and we work together to get them fixed.

I really think that this is the sort of thing that our company needs to get out in front of. Health/safety teams, ASAP, Pro Stan, and "real" input throughout the design process(es) would save a lot of resources over the long run. If they truly want to be "nimble," these are great areas to start in.
The galley configuration that DL chose for the A320 family is offered as an option by Airbus and is used by other airlines. McDonnell Douglas doesn't build jets so they couldn't offer that option now and I don't know if it was offered at the aircraft entered service but having only one galley is fairly standard as an option on most aircraft.

The only way that DL could have known that the configuration didn't work for DL would be to build a prototype and allow DL FAs to work it for months to get feedback or to lease a plane that has that configuration.

Yes, knowing in advance what would have been expected is ideal but sometimes that isn't possible.

Further, it is precisely because fuel prices have been low - which wasn't expected - that the economics of pulling seats back off is financially possible.

The bigger point is that DL listened to its FAs and removed seats in order to improve their service.

I'd love to hear where other carriers have done that.

Given that DL is the only US carrier that has lie flat crew rest seats off of the passenger cabin on 100% of its widebody international fleet, it would appear that DL listens to its FAs and their concerns far more than other carriers. I would find it hard to believe that any FA group is OK with not having something less than what DL offers its FAs.

Kev3188 said:
Now that we're spending money to reconfigure the reconfiguration, I have to ask; where was the input/planning the first time around?
Finally, someone asks the real question in all this.

DL went too far with the last reconfig, and adding seats without adding bin space created a problem onboard.

They need to do something about it, and it sounds like the right decision, but was this really driven by the flight attendants, or was it manifesting itself in customer complaints and delays?

I find it interesting that instead of spinning it to be improving the customer experience, they're trying to paint it as being employee-driven.

Granted there's no shortage of investment on the customer side to point at, but was there a reason DL saw it necessary to throw the FA's a PR bone? Weren't the 14.5% "raises" enough?

bin space had nothing to do with the issue. And the overhead bins on the new aircraft are larger and the 320/319s are getting bid retrofits that increase space far more than the extra seats.

The problem was that DL FAs couldn't work within a galley configuration that is offered by Airbus and which is used on other carriers who fly McD D products.

DL's service IS better. DL offers whole cans of soda on request for all customers, DL offers a snack to all customers, DL does full cart service.

Those are all valid reasons. DL could not have known how the new galleys would have worked in real life FOR DL CUSTOMERS and WITH DL FAs without simulating them.

to try and make the argument into something beyond that shows not only a profound lack of understanding of the real issues.

DL IS fixing the problem.

There are far larger differences in FA working and compensation conditions that exist between DL and other carriers - including crew rest facilities - that other carriers aren't even trying to fix - whether at the rquest of a union or not.

It's also worth noting that DL's old proposed 321 seat config yielded the same number of total seats as other US' carrier 321s and the same is true with other models.

Not quite, Skippy. I know a few of the people in Customer Experience at DL. The major change in the galleys is apparently creating secured space for crew bags, with a small net increase in storage space for consumables.

You have consistently tried to act as if you are a DL insider and yet you repeatedly come up with completely incorrect conclusions.

The FAs and the company said nothing about overhead space. You are simply trying to act like an insider by bringing something into the conversation that has nothing to do with it.

The locked crew overhead bins have nothing to do with the galley changes other than DL is doing them at the same time.

FAs should have locked overhead bins for their own bags but at the same time DL is dramatically increasing the amount of overhead space throughtout the cabin.

To try to connect the lack of success with the galley change to overhead bin changes is factually incorrect esp. since the cabin mods are resulting in far more overhead bin space than the few extra seats.

FAs aren't carrying more luggage on or taking up any more overhead bin space... they are just not willing to share that space with passengers.

And MANY airlines have locked overhead bins for FAs. the concept is hardly a DL novelty.

FACT.

Latest posts