Department of Labor Classifies Flight Attendants as Essential Employees

Wings

Oct 30, 2004
Flight attendants gain the professional recognition they deserve through lobbying efforts of AFA-CWA ....

Labor Department Grants AFA-CWA Request: Flight Attendants Classified as Essential Employees

Flight attendants scored a major victory this week when the Department of Labor responded to AFA-CWA's formal comments and reclassified the flight attendant occupation to its rightful place. The DOL's Bureau of Labor Statistics maintains a Standard Occupation Classification (SOC) system in which every occupation is assigned to a certain category.

Flight attendants had been listed in the personal care providers' category, along with professionals such as animal trainers, hairdressers, funeral attendants and fitness trainers. AFA-CWA has long disagreed with this classification and has worked to reclassify our profession with our fellow crew members and transportation workers.

For the first time in over 30 years, flight attendants will be listed with essential transportation workers such as pilots and air traffic controllers in the Transportation and Material Moving Occupation section.

The SOC is frequently used by government agencies when compiling and comparing employment data. AFA-CWA made the claim to the Department of Labor to re-evaluate the flight attendant classification after first securing flight attendant certification with the Department of Transportation.

AFA-CWA International directors from the Employee Assistance Program (EAP) and Air Safety Health and Security departments worked diligently alongside the Department of Labor to ensure that the federal government fully recognizes the value of flight attendants within the transportation industry.

This AFA-CWA victory in raising the profile of flight attendants is yet another step in the evolution of our profession to gain recognition from all levels of government and the public as safety professionals.

"I commend the Department of Labor for acknowledging that flight attendants are indeed essential employees," said AFA-CWA International President Pat Friend. “Particularly in today's world, the crucial role of flight attendants in ensuring the security and safety of passenger aircraft is an undeniable reality."

Source: http://www.afanet.org/default.asp?id=1161

Can you name one occupation that is "NOT" Essential in the airline industry ?

Maybe the people who load the bags are considered "Non-Essential" in the operation of an airline?

Maybe the people who tighten that last bolt on an engine are considered "Non-Essential" in the operation of an airline?

Maybe the people who board passengers are considered "Non-Essential" in the operation of an airline ?

Hate to blow your candles out but..............."Flight Attendants Classified as Essential Employees"

...............Big deal ! :down:

Can you name one occupation that is "NOT" Essential in the airline industry ?

Maybe the people who load the bags are considered "Non-Essential" in the operation of an airline?

Maybe the people who tighten that last bolt on an engine are considered "Non-Essential" in the operation of an airline?

Maybe the people who board passengers are considered "Non-Essential" in the operation of an airline ?

Hate to blow your candles out but..............."Flight Attendants Classified as Essential Employees"

...............Big deal ! :down:
It is a legal definition in how the DOL classifies workers.

I am quite sure no one expected you to understand what it really means.

...............Big deal !
issues can be very important to people..

to me, it appears it was important for the group to be classified into a category that represents "transportation" (especially due to the requirement of Flight Attendant Certification). the reclassification simply is placing a profession where it is relevant and defined today.

The change in the DOL classification has been sought for quite sometime, but became even more apparent after the FAA granted certification for flight attendants.

It's interesting to see just how many on this forum have so little respect for the flight attendant profession - even in light of 9-11 and what just happened with the US Airways flight.

Some of you need to wake up ....

As a flight attendant, I am happy that we are no longer classified with hairdressers and dog walkers, but at the same time I have to ask...can I take a copy of this ruling to Kroger and pay my grocery bill with it?

Show me the money!

As a flight attendant, I am happy that we are no longer classified with hairdressers and dog walkers,
men and women who work in the "animal trainers" field those positions are generally those who work in kennels, humane societies, guide dog schools and stables...

Guide dog schools provide seeing eye dogs many times free of charge for those who are legally blind in the United States and Canada..

wards are taken in at 8 weeks of age and are socialized with "puppy raisers" usually volunteers for a period of 14 months for socialization and then returned to the Guide dog Schools for additional training upward to 9 months, the total time to train these dogs takes roughly 22 months(2 years old) then placed with the individual who requires the seeing eye/guide dogs.

it is a career full of great reward and personal fulfillment..

during Breast Cancer awareness month, I had the distinct pleasure to speak with two ladies who worked as hairdressers...she explained to me a woman who was celebrating the recovery of beating her illness(while still undergoing follow up treatment) simply wanted her own hairdresser to style and cut her new human hair wig..(some salons actually make these wigs, and some not all..will actually take human hair and send for processing..it takes 5 or 6 pony tails to create one human hair wig)..

I remember she told me.. she felt a great responsibility to this woman because she was not seeking a make-over but rather than a make-me-the-same..because they know how to match hair color and understand basic wig construction and alternations (cut and style)..it was possible to match her style and even the hair color to that of her original hairstyle prior to treatment..

its not even about making someone look good, it about helping them just live a normal life again.

the people in those professions are those who help contribute changing lives..there is always more to what they do, than what is perceived...by just a "job title"...let us never underestimate how wonderful and powerful a talent can truly be...and how important these people truly are and how grateful we all should be... they are here to help us...if we need them.

As a flight attendant, I am happy that we are no longer classified with hairdressers and dog walkers, but at the same time I have to ask...can I take a copy of this ruling to Kroger and pay my grocery bill with it?

Show me the money!

I guess one way you could look at this change in our employment classification is that we are now certified by the FAA and considered "essential employees" instead of minimum wage employees who just pour beverages in the air.

You can be sure it will be addressed at the negotiations table after we win this election and begin to negotiate a new contract for the combined FA group.

I guess one way you could look at this change in our employment classification is that we are now certified by the FAA and considered "essential employees"
that is absolutely an important part being classified in this category.. but it doesnt end there! one will not only have to perform the present job well, but also seek out ways to improve performance and focus on being better at the job than anyone in the past whom may have held the same position...a mindset in the right place focused on positive aspects.....which should not be a problem at all for the majority of Flight Attendants at the "New" Delta.. all we have to do now is work together well..(as a team) focusing on personal performance and customer service while..and most importantly...respecting each others views.

that is absolutely an important part being classified in this category.. but it doesnt end there! one will not only have to perform the present job well, but also seek out ways to improve performance and focus on being better at the job than anyone in the past whom may have held the same position...a mindset in the right place focused on positive aspects.....which should not be a problem at all for the majority of Flight Attendants at the "New" Delta.. all we have to do now is work together well..(as a team) focusing on personal performance and customer service while..and most importantly...respecting each others views.

So you are going to seek the same pay as pilots? What part of your job are you going to improve performance on?

So you are going to seek the same pay as pilots?
This is not a pilot issue.. the profession will be listed with others such as pilots..in the same section.. the profession is being recognized with other transportation workers.

the certification and recognition are great achievements for the entire industry.

What part of your job are you going to improve performance on?
always keep an open mind that something can always be improved..never become complacent keep striving to be better

Have a nice evening.

men and women who work in the "animal trainers" field those positions are generally those who work in kennels, humane societies, guide dog schools and stables...

Guide dog schools provide seeing eye dogs many times free of charge for those who are legally blind in the United States and Canada..

wards are taken in at 8 weeks of age and are socialized with "puppy raisers" usually volunteers for a period of 14 months for socialization and then returned to the Guide dog Schools for additional training upward to 9 months, the total time to train these dogs takes roughly 22 months(2 years old) then placed with the individual who requires the seeing eye/guide dogs.

it is a career full of great reward and personal fulfillment..

during Breast Cancer awareness month, I had the distinct pleasure to speak with two ladies who worked as hairdressers...she explained to me a woman who was celebrating the recovery of beating her illness(while still undergoing follow up treatment) simply wanted her own hairdresser to style and cut her new human hair wig..(some salons actually make these wigs, and some not all..will actually take human hair and send for processing..it takes 5 or 6 pony tails to create one human hair wig)..

I remember she told me.. she felt a great responsibility to this woman because she was not seeking a make-over but rather than a make-me-the-same..because they know how to match hair color and understand basic wig construction and alternations (cut and style)..it was possible to match her style and even the hair color to that of her original hairstyle prior to treatment..

its not even about making someone look good, it about helping them just live a normal life again.

the people in those professions are those who help contribute changing lives..there is always more to what they do, than what is perceived...by just a "job title"...let us never underestimate how wonderful and powerful a talent can truly be...and how important these people truly are and how grateful we all should be... they are here to help us...if we need them.

EXCELLENT post, Dignity. Very well-said.

The change in the DOL classification has been sought for quite sometime, but became even more apparent after the FAA granted certification for flight attendants.

It's interesting to see just how many on this forum have so little respect for the flight attendant profession - even in light of 9-11 and what just happened with the US Airways flight.

Some of you need to wake up ....

I am in no way dissin' the FA's. All I'm saying is , imo, all employees are essential or I would imagine said company would get rid of them !

all employees are essential

but you see that is the point, Flight Attendants have always been necessary for the safe operation of an airline (that is the most important aspect of the career..safety first..), but...the profession was not categorized in the same section along with other relevant workers.

that appears to be the point...Flight Attendants have always been essential employees..the entire time, the reclassification should have never been necessary... because...the profession should have always been listed within "Transportation" in the first place..

It was.. made right.

Flight Attendant certification reaffirmed this and it is a big deal..

Every step that is taken in the right direction that recognizes, advances or improves any career for that matter is an achievement.

but you see that is the point, Flight Attendants have always been necessary for the safe operation of an airline (that is the most important aspect of the career..safety first..), but...the profession was not categorized in the same section along with other relevant workers.

that appears to be the point...Flight Attendants have always been essential employees..the entire time, the reclassification should have never been necessary... because...the profession should have always been listed within "Transportation" in the first place..

It was.. made right.

Flight Attendant certification reaffirmed this and it is a big deal..

Every step that is taken in the right direction that recognizes, advances or improves any career for that matter is an achievement.
It would not have happened without a union championing the cause.

Of course, many will simply take what the unions have earned and then downplay the good they have done over the years...

(you all know who you are)