DL retires first747-400 built

If the aircraft is being preserved and displayed for having been the first 747-400, then it should be displayed as it was when it first entered service ie;  in a NWA livery.

JMHO

Reactions: 2 people
ThirdSeatHero said:
If the aircraft is being preserved and displayed for having been the first 747-400, then it should be displayed as it was when it first entered service ie;  in a NWA livery.

JMHO
I agree xUT. I worked on that aircraft (6301) so many times over the years. She will always hold a special place in my heart.

Their is nothing more satisfying than having my team, after doing an "A" check, with my assistance, signing off that maintenance release and personally delivering the logbook to the crew. It had my signature saying it was safe for flight, many, many times.

The -400 crews were the best of the best (other than the old NWA freighter crews...I digress)

It would be a slap in the face of those NWA who partnered with Boeing to make that majestic aircraft the legendary status it deserves.

Reactions: 1 person
Kev3188 said:
Agreed.

And for the record, I'm all for a Western plane at the museum (and any others) as well...
If they wanted to do that then I am all for painting the 744 in anything they want. 

but they wont, The museum simply doesn't have the funds to go out and buy 5-6+ airplanes, get them airworthy enough to fly them to ATL, Get them painted etc. etc. etc. etc. 

On top of that the space simply isn't there. 

topDawg said:
If they wanted to do that then I am all for painting the 744 in anything they want. 

but they wont, The museum simply doesn't have the funds to go out and buy 5-6+ airplanes, get them airworthy enough to fly them to ATL, Get them painted etc. etc. etc. etc. 
Actually, they do. It would be relatively easy and cheap to find the aircraft and have them ferried to ATL. It only takes will. It would be a miniscule blip on the balance sheet compared to the goodwill it would create.

But here I go thinking rationally.

Glenn Quagmire said:
Actually, they do. It would be relatively easy and cheap to find the aircraft and have them ferried to ATL. It only takes will. It would be a miniscule blip on the balance sheet compared to the goodwill it would create.

But here I go thinking rationally.
really? because the main reasons ship 41 isn't flying anymore is funds. The main reason they haven't gotten the DC7 is funds. It would take millions the museum doesn't have. 

I hope you guys understand the museum is NOT a Delta Air Lines INC company. They are there own company just like DCCU is. Delta does a lot for the museum (leasing them hangar 1/2 and office space at a very good price, donating airplanes and support etc) but at the end of the day Delta can only do so much. 

and again, they don't have anywhere close to the space at the GO for all these aircraft.  

Personally as a firmer Western I do not want an airplane in the museum nor do I want a retro painted aircraft. That's an america west idea.

AA, UA, and US all have retro jets and many foreign flag carriers have them also.

Guess you don't realize it instils pride into the workers.

700UW said:
AA, UA, and US all have retro jets and many foreign flag carriers have them also.
Retro's of "their" former paint jobs. NOT paint jobs of the airlines they ruined. AA would never have a Reno Air or TWA paint job if they were not run by america west/ usair

700UW said:

FWIW you just named three of the biggest s**t shows in labor management relations in the business. I would prefer if Delta did nothing like they do. JMO.

and Meto I agree. We have a brand (I don't like it but we have it) and i think we should stick to it. I'm all for employee pride and happiness, but im also for running a smart business. Wanna make employees happy? put money in their pocket, give them jobs and treat them right. That is how you do it, not treat them like crap, under pay them and constantly try to outsource them like the above companies.    

Latest posts