DOUG PARKER

SKY HIGH

Veteran
May 22, 2004
http://money.cnn.com/2006/12/07/news/newsm...sion=2006120714

After taking the helm at America West just 10 days before the Sept. 11 attacks, he found his airline facing liquidation - and pleading for a federal bailout. But barely four years later, Parker engineered America West's stunning purchase of the assets of bankrupt US Airways (Charts), keeping the US Air name for the surviving carrier.

Now, with the dust not even settled on that deal, Parker has made a hostile bid for Delta Air Lines (Charts), also struggling to emerge from bankruptcy. If he's successful the deal would create one of the world's largest airlines, if not the largest.

only posting opinions

http://money.cnn.com/2006/12/07/news/newsm...sion=2006120714

After taking the helm at America West just 10 days before the Sept. 11 attacks, he found his airline facing liquidation - and pleading for a federal bailout. But barely four years later, Parker engineered America West's stunning purchase of the assets of bankrupt US Airways (Charts), keeping the US Air name for the surviving carrier.

Now, with the dust not even settled on that deal, Parker has made a hostile bid for Delta Air Lines (Charts), also struggling to emerge from bankruptcy. If he's successful the deal would create one of the world's largest airlines, if not the largest.
only posting opinions

He used the bankruptcy process to cut costs and get out of aircraft leases when he bought US Air in 2005. And he's counting on the same advantages to make the Delta deal work.

One. Trick. Pony. Can't run the place, so he'll stiff leaseholders and creditors.

"I like the guy a lot, I think he's brilliant, but I think it's a mistake," said airline industry consultant Michael Boyd. "Putting these airlines together is going to be very messy, very inefficient. He sees a window of opportunity and wants to jump through it. But that window may be on the 48th floor."

Whether the merger works for the Corporation or not; Dougie and his cohorts are in it for a "stock surge" to pocket more millions.

If the merger doesn't work; there is always another BK.

Whether the merger works for the Corporation or not; Dougie and his cohorts are in it for a "stock surge" to pocket more millions.

If the merger doesn't work; there is always another BK.

PitBull:

Dougie and his cohorts must be doing something right. LCC stock went up today. Does anyone know why this happened or care to speculate?

LCC (US AIRWAYS GROUP INC)
61.56 +2.31 (3.90%) 11 Dec at 4:01PM ET
Open: 60.72
High: 62.70
Low: 60.03

Volume: 2,009,600
Avg Vol: 2,254,000
Mkt Cap: 5.47B

Oil down slightly, but the merger news frenzy was the big reason. Pretty much all airlines were up, with CO being the biggest percentage gainer, followed by NW, US, DL, UA, and AA.

Jim

PitBull:

Dougie and his cohorts must be doing something right. LCC stock went up today. Does anyone know why this happened or care to speculate?

Its all about stock price driven by speculation.

However, I don't suspect any exec would venture to sell any stock positions during this merger news, as it could be perceived as some kind of "inside trading" and cause an investigation by the SEC. As we've seen with a few companies who have engaged in insider corruption.

PitBull:

I'm sure that former shareholders of Enron and Freemarkets and United in 1999 and US at any time prior to this year will tell you that stock price going up in the short term means nothing.