DTW Airport: Worker flips deicer while drunk, is fired

chasbatl

Senior
Aug 24, 2005
ROMULUS -- A drunk airport worker with a half-empty beer in his vehicle and an unopened can in his pocket flipped his deicer rig on a remote airstrip at Metro Airport on Wednesday afternoon, airport officials said.

The man, whose name was not released, flipped the rig shortly after starting his shift, said airport spokesman Mike Conway. Airport police who responded to the accident, which occurred around 3 p.m., gave him a Breathalyzer test, which he failed.

"It was well over" the 0.08 Michigan legal limit, Conway said.

The man, younger than 21, was fired, Conway said. He worked for Orlando, Fla.-based Aircraft Service International Group, which performs refueling and deicing duties at the airport. He was in custody Wednesday night at the airport police lockup.

"Not only is he underage drinking, he's operating a vehicle under the influence," Conway said. "The Airport Authority is not happy about this. He's never going to work here again."

Conway said other workers noticed the man driving erratically and a supervisor was preparing to follow him onto the airfield when the rig flipped.

He added the man was not near any terminals and posed no threat to passenger safety.

The incident came two days after another ASIG employee, Dorian Powell, 18, of Detroit was killed when he was crushed by a tug used to pull planes.

I'm not. Welcome to the new Northwest- where quality is #1. Ask Finny. He'll say the poor boy was set up. <_<
The article clearly states it's a Aircraft Service International Group (ASIG) employee. Why is it presumed that this has anything to do with NWA?

ASIG is not the vendor that NWA uses at DTW for aircraft fueling (we use Servisair Shell), and NWA does it's own deicing. So this company is in now way affiliated with NWA at DTW.

Finman, does NWA contract with ASIG? Why would you believe that just because it was at DTW that their hiring standards would be any better at out stations? The point of the article being posted here was to show what kind of company NWA contracts with not the station.

The article clearly states it's a Aircraft Service International Group (ASIG) employee. Why is it presumed that this has anything to do with NWA?

ASIG is not the vendor that NWA uses at DTW for aircraft fueling (we use Servisair Shell), and NWA does it's own deicing. So this company is in now way affiliated with NWA at DTW.

Finman, does NWA contract with ASIG? Why would you believe that just because it was at DTW that their hiring standards would be any better at out stations? The point of the article being posted here was to show what kind of company NWA contracts with not the station.
Good point. Am I mistaken or don't they do NW elsewhere? I could of sworn I saw one near my plane the other day. Well then again, what makes this different than the guy with a can of Budwiser in the morning on his way to work? :lol:

As you look at the ongoing debacles of SCABAIR and ASIG Aces why would anyone trust the hiring and work procedures of either company?

Chas has clearly drawn a valid parallel that has well displayed the hiring practices of ASIG Aces at any location.

Good job Chas!

N.

ASIG may not perform the fueling or de-icing functions for NW at DTW, but what about the maintenance of all of NW's ground equipment (tugs, baggage carts, etc.)? If ASIG is doing that work at MSP for NW, couldn't they also have a contract to do the same in DTW?

NWA still contracts with ASIG for fueling services at stations where ASIG still offers a quality service. At MSP and DTW and a growing list of other stations, ASIG has been replaced because of the poor performance at those stations. As far as other ground services, I'm not sure if we use them anywhere.

I guess to your point, NWA has been moving away from this company, so you're concerns are not warranted.

NWA still contracts with ASIG for fueling services at stations where ASIG still offers a quality service.

Any idea where all they still are? I know they were all over the place as of not too long ago....

At MSP and DTW and a growing list of other stations, ASIG has been replaced because of the poor performance at those stations....

I guess to your point, NWA has been moving away from this company...

Good.

oopsie. I had to re read the article. :rolleyes:

Yeah...why let a few facts get in the way of your usual anti-Northwest vitriol. Given you seem to hate the company you work for so much, shouldn't you be spending the time you waste writing your drivel filling-out a McDonald's application or something?

Yeah...why let a few facts get in the way of your usual anti-Northwest vitriol. Given you seem to hate the company you work for so much, shouldn't you be spending the time you waste writing your drivel filling-out a McDonald's application or something?
Nah. I'm going to do something even more demeaning- run for public office. :up:

Latest posts

Back