Extension of CARES act less likely

Many of you are just looking for a reason to hate on Pelosi, but it is mcconnell who is standing in the way of more airline aid.

Nailed it.

...and this is exactly how the GOP wants it. Slow walk any progress while blaming the left so they can swoop in ahead of the election and play the savior role.

your media source is from 2 weeks ago. the skinny bill that failed 2 weeks ago from mcconnell was meant for meat and potatoes, and everything else after that (including airlines) to be done, cleanly, if possible. the reason for this is that republicans are dead set against nearly $600-$700 billion dollars going to states and cities (under the guise of lost revenues from the virus) to shore up state & city pensions - generous benefits given to basically ensure democratic votes.

recently, pelosi attempted to draft a clean bailout bill just for the post office, after stating there will be no clean bills because she wants to send tons of money to states/cities for pension issues and clean bills would deny her this.

the post office is another example. i read where the yearly revenues of the post office don't even meet pension obligations - let alone wages/benefits for it's current staff. the post office votes in a huge bloc for the democrats.

Postal service is enshrined in the COTUS. If that's not "meat and potatoes," I don't know what is.

your media source is from 2 weeks ago. the skinny bill that failed 2 weeks ago from mcconnell was meant for meat and potatoes, and everything else after that (including airlines) to be done, cleanly, if possible. the reason for this is that republicans are dead set against nearly $600-$700 billion dollars going to states and cities (under the guise of lost revenues from the virus) to shore up state & city pensions - generous benefits given to basically ensure democratic votes.

recently, pelosi attempted to draft a clean bailout bill just for the post office, after stating there will be no clean bills because she wants to send tons of money to states/cities for pension issues and clean bills would deny her this.

the post office is another example. i read where the yearly revenues of the post office don't even meet pension obligations - let alone wages/benefits for it's current staff. the post office votes in a huge bloc for the democrats.

The "Postal Accountability Act" of 2008 (in a lame duck session of Congress) caused this problem.
It made the PO pay for pension liabilities for people that hasn't even worked there yet (the unborn) for 50 years, within a 10 year span. No other business in the history of business (public or private) has this kind of pension obligations around their necks. The PO is not a "business" which should turn a "profit" : it is a public service. But it is self sustaining, hence the reason why it needs money. There's ways the Post Office can be "profitable" again, like postal banking (instead of using the Check Cashing places which robs people). We as people on the ramp see and handle a great amount of mail.

The problem is the money for operational expenses. Some people want to privatize the PO. (But there has to be a Post Office, since it is codified in the Constitution.) So they (DeJoy) are/is trying a end around to damage it so bad, the pieces can be cut up to UPS, and especially FedEx (to break the unions). But it is not profitable for them, because they can't do "last mile" service for very small packages without a higher cost. Even Amazon (which is starting their own large fleet of vehicles) can't do "last mile" fully (yet), and they depend on the package services to do so. Plus what happens to all of that pension obligation money that was collected? (that money can't be used for operational expenses) Where do you think it will go? Whose pocket(s) will all that money goes? And now the Post Office is needed more than ever since the virus is still out there, and some people can't or won't wait in long lines to vote. (The episodes in WI, and GA during the primaries proved that point)

I will always defend the Post Office, because it is a great provider of good middle class jobs, and plus I know that I can send a letter anywhere in the world for a reasonable cost.

President Trump wants a deal (and a stimulus), but the Senate of his party does not want to do that because of "deficit" concerns. There is not time for that BS, or a skinny deal. People are still hurting. And so are cities & states. Forget the "societal problems". You still going to have to have money because the FEMA money (which is being used to supplement unemployment is running out. I think a deal will happen, but it will probably be done in a "lame duck" session.

I will always defend the Post Office, because it is a great provider of good middle class jobs, and plus I know that I can send a letter anywhere in the world for a reasonable cost.

well, i think it's great you'll defend the post office.

my post had nothing to do with cutting down the post office.

my post was exposing mrs. pelosi's hypocrisy about bills; clean/all-inclusive & pork, that has nothing to do with the virus.

a govt. (from services to legislating) is also 'enshrined' in the constitution. we have seen govt. shutdowns on plenty of occasions.

You guys crack me up. When's the last time anyone actually mailed a letter?

We've had the same checkbook for five years, which means we haven't written more than 40 checks in that timeframe. I suspect we haven't even bought 40 stamps because a bunch of those checks were handed to contractors or sent to school with one of the kids.

Thats why the USPS is dying.

COTUS doesn't mandate daily delivery. Go to two or three times weekly for non-package home delivery, and 99% of us wouldn't notice. That's what Amtrak is being reduced to for money losing long-distance services. Good enough for them, good enough for the mail.

Oh, and Amazon's last mile service is amazing. I haven't seen the USPS deliver for Amazon in over 18 months. Its almost exclusively Amazon branded vans with the occasional UPS thats drop shipped directly from a manufacturer.

We've had the same checkbook for five years, which means we haven't written more than 40 checks in that timeframe. I suspect we haven't even bought 40 stamps because a bunch of those checks were handed to contractors or sent to school with one of the kids.

COTUS doesn't mandate daily delivery. Go to two or three times weekly for non-package home delivery, and 99% of us wouldn't notice. That's what Amtrak is being reduced to for money losing long-distance services. Good enough for them, good enough for the mail.

Oh, and Amazon's last mile service is amazing. I haven't seen the USPS deliver for Amazon in over 18 months. Its almost exclusively Amazon branded vans with the occasional UPS thats drop shipped directly from a manufacturer.
I recently had an eBay purchase arrive via USPS.

I agree with you internet technologies have heavily impacted the USPS. That being said I still feel like it is a necessary service especially for rural America.

This is how I feel this whole thing will go down.

It is an election year and Trump has stated that if a deal is not made he would take "executive action". In my opinion there is no way in hell the Democrats will allow Trump to be the "good guy". They will stall until the end then cave and try to spin it that they reluctantly agreed to Republican demands in the interest of the public (when in fact they were just trying to get ahead of his executive order to save face).

It is no accident airline support expires Oct 1st.

...and this is exactly how the GOP wants it. Slow walk any progress while blaming the left so they can swoop in ahead of the election and play the savior role.
Flipping the script or what?

You seem to make a habit of that.

"Their bill would protect airline workers until the end of March"

Then what. Just continue to kick the can down the road?

Eventually the airlines will need to adjust manning due to the obvious reduction in flying.

Tick....tick.....tick....
Yes. And in hopes by March the industry is picking up way better than it is now. Also in hopes of a vaccine being out by then that would help with getting more customers back in the air. yes it is kicking the can down the road, but it would be the last can kicked down the road. If this industry is doing the same it is now then the layoffs, furloughs and rifs will start and flood thru all the airlines including Southwest and Delta. So I do favor a delay to March/April and see if things are not better than current a quite possibly avoid huge layoffs from happening.

I recently had an eBay purchase arrive via USPS.

eBay isn't sending out packages via USPS. Sellers are. Big difference between them and Amazon...

USPS might be a necessary evil, but is daily home delivery still critical?

Get a PO box if you need daily service, but if we survive Sundays without mail, I think most Americans can survive with every other day or even once a week.

cant argue with that logic.at the very least i dont see a necessity for Saturday delivery. i did mail a letter to my daugter out of state yesterday. the stamps i have i've had for 3 years......

And there you have it. The Republicans AGAIN introduce yet another bill. This is the 3rd bill they have introduced (might be the 4th) so we will see how Pelosi will handle this one. The Republicans have moved 3-4 times it is time for the Dems to step up and help out the American people, but watch how Pelosi and crew will once again try to use it in their favor of politics...

And there you have it. The Republicans AGAIN introduce yet another bill. This is the 3rd bill they have introduced (might be the 4th) so we will see how Pelosi will handle this one. The Republicans have moved 3-4 times it is time for the Dems to step up and help out the American people, but watch how Pelosi and crew will once again try to use it in their favor of politics...
This is the fourth bill introduced and Pelosi will say she was setup again.

It's funny you mention Amazon, and their large (and expanding) fleet of vehicles.
From what I understand, Amazon will be using a lot of electric and flex fuel vehicles. Which will be a main cost saver. You see them all on the road, and the commercials on television touting the use of electric vehicles. More power to them, and I welcome that. (If I order stuff online from Amazon, in my area, I get a mix of delivery from all four (USPS; FedEx; UPS; and Amazon themselves). When the Postal Service wanted to replace their fleet of vehicles, (to either electric or alternative), which would be one of the largest fleets in the US, that is where the problems started. During that time, the PO was still in the black.

I can do without Saturday mail service, but people would want package service six or seven days a week, depending if the package is important to them and will pay the fee. I just don't want USPS to die like some people do.

Is this a "standalone" separate bill? I'm surprised they (the Senate - and do they have the votes since some of their "libertarian" members do not want any additional spending at all) would do that, since airline help was in the House "Heroes Act" which no movement was done. Can President Trump get the republicans in the Senate in line to get a deal done?

Just asking...........

eBay isn't sending out packages via USPS. Sellers are. Big difference between them and Amazon...
Who cares? You asked when was the last time anyone actually mailed a letter, I replied I recently received a package via USPS. Of course I was not the sender but SOMEONE sent it. That was my point.

USPS might be a necessary evil, but is daily home delivery still critical?
Not for the individual receiving mail but, it might cause logistical issues for USPS (see below).

Get a PO box if you need daily service, but if we survive Sundays without mail, I think most Americans can survive with every other day or even once a week.
Delivering mail once a week could have unintended consequences. First the USPS distributes the mail almost daily, if they only did it once a week it may cause issues with storage and distribution. Secondly ;what are they going to do.... cram a weeks worth of junk mail (which is probably where they make their money these days) into a tiny mail box? The USPS would have to fundamentally change itself if they went to once a week delivery simply to cope with "lump sum" distribution.

We all hate junk mail (the bread and butter of USPS) but, that junk mail generates wealth for companies or they wouldn't send it, it generates business for the printers and paper manufactures, and distribution of junk mail creates jobs. Junk mail is actually good for the economy if not bad for the environment.