F/C Question for US East F/As.....

N905TW

Jan 14, 2003
I know this post will pale in popularity to the current East vs West bickering in other threads... but I have a question for some of our inflight experts from the East...

I was on RSV one morning last month here in PHX and went to the company charity "Dish Dash". I came home with a box of really nice US plates, new in the box. I was just wondering when and where they were used... they are off white with a thick blue band around the edges, and thin gold bands around the blue band, and another thin gold band in closer to the center. They are back stamped with the flag logo and "US Airways".

I flew with a Furloughed US East F/A a few weeks ago who is now here at West, and she said she had never seen them before..... She guessed that maybe they were from the A330 when it was 3 Class.

Can anyone help to solve the mystery?

Thanks!

I think your refering to the 1st class china from the 330 back in the 90's. We had them when we first got the A330. No ticket went for under $10,000. We had 2 flight attendants for 6 people. A LODO and the CSD served 1st. Boy those were the days and we won so many awards. That was something to be proud of.

The 3 class product was really nice. 2 F/As for six seats. The meals alternated frequently and they were by chefs from four star restaurants. There were fresh flowers in the lav, and the amenity kit included US Airways pyjamas and Crabtree and Evelyn products. We had dom perignon and no, we didnt serve it in a party cup lol! I can't remember what the china looked like or if it was different than Envoy. I do remember there was a full silver tea service and flutes that may have only been in first but I'm not sure if the china was different than Envoy. My memory of working for a real airline has faded.

usair024.jpg

Is it this? This is from First in 2001 and looks like what we have now.

Mmmm, remember these? Smoked salmon canapes, served in first during BOARDING for pre-departure.
usair023.jpg

Wow we've come really come a long way to Four Points Pie.

EMB- Everyting was seperate in 1st. The china was beautiful and Champaign flutes. The tea service was really nice with clotted cream. Has anyone noticed that they are now boarding the desert service in Envoy on those same silver tea service trays from back then? I only got to work it once when it was to London and the "I" position was a non-lodo. Had a blast.

And when tea was served it was served in a matching teapot. The china was very classy and the food served on it was very good. We had Dom Perignon bubbly, Caymus wine and more white linen then you could ever use. The pax in first got pajamas and we had full size pillows and small comforters. Those were the days.

I loved the tea service. First had full comforters, Envoy had the thick blue plaid blankets. Never worked First, only Envoy.

With a whole new group of wide bodies coming in the next 2 years, the start of Open Skies with at least 2 LHR slots (via LH and/or BMI) in March/April of 2008 - along with the possibility (Low as it may be) of a China route award, US has the potential to re-establish itself as a quality international competitor. Specifically, I could invision Envoy out of PHL even competing with BA's Club World flights (and Fares). It would take some very dedicated and visionary management and inflight people AND a properly configured Envoy section with full compartmentalized sleeper seating/IFE and proper meal facilities to pull it off. A separate Economy Plus section with say a 36" pitch would likely also bring in added revenue and passify the FFs not able to upgrade. If US ever had a chance to return to it's glory days as the best U.S. premium cabin flying the Atlantic (and elsewhere) - the next 2 years is it. PHL also needs to expand the Envoy lounge to accept long-haul connecting Envoy Arrivals from Europe and (maybe) Asia. If you want to see a very nice lounge, ask for a complimentary peek into the new BA lounge at PHL, which just opened.

Is it this? This is from First in 2001 and looks like what we have now.

Wow we've come really come a long way to Four Points Pie.

Thanks for the quick replies and pics... The pattern is nothing like our current version, but here is a small picture of the pattern... even though the pic was taken in one of the PHL clubs.....

usairwaysClublounge001.jpg

I wonder if our current management will ever realize that people WILL indeed pay for a premium product when it truely IS a premium product.

I think everyone knows that most passengers in coach could care less about anything as long as the ticket is $1 cheaper than another airline, but First/Business is a whole different animal, especially on Trans-Atlantic and Trans-Pacific.

The ENTIRE inflight product, domestic and international, needs a revamp from cabin interiors to IFE to service presentation to flight attendant training. The whole US Airways onboard product (if you could even call it that- a product is something consistent) needs to be freshened.

They need to choose a look and feel for thier Economy cabin and Envoy cabin and have it consistent across the fleet, from E190 to A340. Not a leather seat here, a cloth one there, a blue seat there, a gray one, a headrest here but not there, whatever ATA had, or throw a cover on whatever is sitting around the hangar. An Ecomony seat should look the same on all fleets. A narrowbody F seat should be the same regardless of fleet. A widebody or 757 FC seat should be the same. And they should all look alike... Enough of the lawn sale mix and match on the different aircraft. A merger is one thing, but why all the differences even in new aircraft? Stop being cheap. The same colors and fabrics should be used on aircaft that will be around for a while. It's called having a BRAND.

If you're going to offer a premium cabin at a premium price it better be premium. For everyones sake get some sense and stop tearing up the airplanes and making a mockery of first class for the sake of a few extra seats that weigh the airplane out of the sky. The simple things like champagne, hot towels, a predeparture beverage of some sort, a place to hang ones coat, and beverages served in glassware are basic expectations of a first class product. I flew United Express by SkyWest the other day and had all of these things in FC ON AN RJ. Our FC product is shameful even before the butchering of the cabins.

Economy service needs to be standardized. You can start by having enough supplies, enough space to stow the supplies, and expect to find them in the same place every time. Not the free for all, stuff everything in an empty cart or overhead bin and hope for the best current method of catering. I'll make myself unpopular and say that service needs to be monitored and strictly adhered to. No "I dont feel like doing cookies/duty free/arrival service/InFlight Cafe".

Again, I'll be unpopular here. The ENTIRE F/A group needs re-training in new service procedures. First Class standards, customer service technique, international traveler customs, appearance and demeanor, the whole bit. EVERY F/A should be trained on each aircraft and level of service offered by US. The F/A group also needs a refresher on the Dividend Miles program and Star Alliance. Most of the F/As don't know the tiers of our own FF program and couldnt name another Star carrier. Your cabin crews are the most visible representation of the airline and should be familiar with the product.

Fix the operation and do the basic things that have somehow been lost. Cater the airplane correctly. Clean it. Use a reservation system that provides the employees with the tools they need for a complex operation like an international network carrier. Have a readable, printable manifest. Have single, fair contracts for your employees. The merger is two years old, the bankrupcy era contracts breed contempt. Your product is only as good as your employee morale.

To be taken seriously you have to AT MINIMUM offer something consistent. To compete as a national and international carrier, you have to offer something close to the competition. At best, you offer something better and unique. Whether its amenities or simply employee delivery, you want to give a customer a reason to choose your product again instead of someone elses.

I sling Cokes and point at exits. I don't have any business or marketing education but this all seems pretty darn basic to me. Am I just crazy?

The topic--First Class...At USAirways, there's nothing First or Classy about it.....i'm feeling a little verklempt...discuss amongst yourselves

Sad situation when our company has a "fire sale" including china that can't even be indentified to a specific time period.

EMBFA, your ideas about having a consistent product and flight attendants trained to supply a correct consistent service are right on.

I'm distressed by the degradation of our service standards. :(

I got a new term on my last trip. The girl flying A told me she attended "Disintegration Training" :lol: :up:
And boy is that the truth :shock:

Disintegration:

to destroy the unity or integrity of
intransitive senses
to break or separate into constituent elements or parts
to lose unity or integrity by or as if by breaking into parts

The ENTIRE inflight product, domestic and international, needs a revamp from cabin interiors to IFE to service presentation to flight attendant training. The whole US Airways onboard product (if you could even call it that- a product is something consistent) needs to be freshened.

They need to choose a look and feel for thier Economy cabin and Envoy cabin and have it consistent across the fleet, from E190 to A340. Not a leather seat here, a cloth one there, a blue seat there, a gray one, a headrest here but not there, whatever ATA had, or throw a cover on whatever is sitting around the hangar. An Ecomony seat should look the same on all fleets. A narrowbody F seat should be the same regardless of fleet. A widebody or 757 FC seat should be the same. And they should all look alike... Enough of the lawn sale mix and match on the different aircraft. A merger is one thing, but why all the differences even in new aircraft? Stop being cheap. The same colors and fabrics should be used on aircaft that will be around for a while. It's called having a BRAND.

If you're going to offer a premium cabin at a premium price it better be premium. For everyones sake get some sense and stop tearing up the airplanes and making a mockery of first class for the sake of a few extra seats that weigh the airplane out of the sky. The simple things like champagne, hot towels, a predeparture beverage of some sort, a place to hang ones coat, and beverages served in glassware are basic expectations of a first class product. I flew United Express by SkyWest the other day and had all of these things in FC ON AN RJ. Our FC product is shameful even before the butchering of the cabins.

Economy service needs to be standardized. You can start by having enough supplies, enough space to stow the supplies, and expect to find them in the same place every time. Not the free for all, stuff everything in an empty cart or overhead bin and hope for the best current method of catering. I'll make myself unpopular and say that service needs to be monitored and strictly adhered to. No "I dont feel like doing cookies/duty free/arrival service/InFlight Cafe".

Again, I'll be unpopular here. The ENTIRE F/A group needs re-training in new service procedures. First Class standards, customer service technique, international traveler customs, appearance and demeanor, the whole bit. EVERY F/A should be trained on each aircraft and level of service offered by US. The F/A group also needs a refresher on the Dividend Miles program and Star Alliance. Most of the F/As don't know the tiers of our own FF program and couldnt name another Star carrier. Your cabin crews are the most visible representation of the airline and should be familiar with the product.

Fix the operation and do the basic things that have somehow been lost. Cater the airplane correctly. Clean it. Use a reservation system that provides the employees with the tools they need for a complex operation like an international network carrier. Have a readable, printable manifest. Have single, fair contracts for your employees. The merger is two years old, the bankrupcy era contracts breed contempt. Your product is only as good as your employee morale.

To be taken seriously you have to AT MINIMUM offer something consistent. To compete as a national and international carrier, you have to offer something close to the competition. At best, you offer something better and unique. Whether its amenities or simply employee delivery, you want to give a customer a reason to choose your product again instead of someone elses.

I sling Cokes and point at exits. I don't have any business or marketing education but this all seems pretty darn basic to me. Am I just crazy?