FAA Proposes Drug/Alcohol Testing at Foreign Maintenance Facilities

Glenn Quagmire said:
If it was less expensive and proven, airlines would have implemented it. You seem to be conflicted here. What is exactly your point?

Congress passed the "Omnibus Transportation Employee Testing Act of 1991"

If you choose to work in covered industries, it is the law.
Conflicted? I don't think so! Pot use is the number one reason transportation worker test positive during random drug testing. I have yet to hear of one case where they were able to determine that the employee was impaired on the job based on random drug testing. That's the whole point of issuing the test, isn't it? Do alcohol breathalyzers check to see if you were drunk on your days off?   

THC attaches to the fatty tissue and can remain in your system for weeks to months (depending on the amount consumed), does that mean you remain impaired for weeks or months after usage?  The reality is that several states have legalized pot usage for recreational use. It's just a matter of time before one of these cases makes its way to the SCOTUS. The last I checked, it's none of the governments business what I'm legally entitled to do on my spare time.

BTW, I've been randomly tested many times, during one 90 day period I was tested 3 times in 60 days.      

Reactions: 1 person
xUT said:
BTW, don't eat foods with poppy seeds.
Had a Mechanic at SFO that was fired for failed testing for opiates.
Fortunately, he got his job back with full back pay.
B) xUT

Didn't have any gas chromatography - mass spectrometry gizmo's laying around?

Knotbuyinit said:
Conflicted? I don't think so! Pot use is the number one reason transportation worker test positive during random drug testing. I have yet to hear of one case where they were able to determine that the employee was impaired on the job based on random drug testing. That's the whole point of issuing the test, isn't it? Do alcohol breathalyzers check to see if you were drunk on your days off? 

Krispy Creme boxes found in the hell hole.....

Glenn Quagmire said:
I meant to post that I was tested on New Year's Day, three years in a row. They liked to make their numbers early the year. It just seemed like they were trying to pop people for New Year's Eve partying.

Funny thing about testing, weed is the one that hangs around the longest while heroin has the shortest life.
Hummm. A program that selects candidates randomly just so happened to pick you three consecutive New Year's Day in a row? I doubt very seriously that anywhere in the program does it suggest that they are to make their numbers early in the year. What was that you were saying about a safe work environment?    

Dude I worked with in support shops mouthed off a lot and usually got called every week or so which he made a big big deal over....guess what? The calls kept coming. LOL
I flew with a f/a who commutes from Denver. She's been "randomly" selected for the pee in a bottle test 3 times since Colorado's marijuana legalization took effect. She raves about the unfairness of it all. As you said, the calls keep coming.

I can hardly wait until some of the countries start preaching about the U.S. trying to circumvent their national sovereignty, and blah, blah, blah. Instead of backing down (probable), the FAA should simply rule that maintenance can not be done in that country. (highly improbable)

Knotbuyinit said:
Hummm. A program that selects candidates randomly just so happened to pick you three consecutive New Year's Day in a row? I doubt very seriously that anywhere in the program does it suggest that they are to make their numbers early in the year. What was that you were saying about a safe work environment?
It wasn't just me, it was a large group of my coworkers at the airline those three times.

And no, the program did not state they had to make their numbers early. Like I said in a earlier post, each airlines program was different. It seemed like one year they tested large groups only once a quarter. Then in the next year the white coats would be there weekly and only test small numbers.

I have no problem being tested. I knew what I signed up for. Good luck convincing the public to make it go away.

Glenn Quagmire said:
It wasn't just me, it was a large group of my coworkers at the airline those three times.

And no, the program did not state they had to make their numbers early. Like I said in a earlier post, each airlines program was different. It seemed like one year they tested large groups only once a quarter. Then in the next year the white coats would be there weekly and only test small numbers.

I have no problem being tested. I knew what I signed up for. Good luck convincing the public to make it go away.
[SIZE=10.5pt]I'm very familiar with the random drug testing program. I never once stated that it was my goal to talk the public out of random drug testing. It is my belief that the most effective way to catch a person that is impaired on the job is through reasonable suspicion reporting only. [/SIZE]
[SIZE=10.5pt] [/SIZE]
[SIZE=10.5pt]The random drug testing program was never designed to catch a person impaired on the job; it was designed to give the general public a “warm and fuzzy” feeling and a false sense of safety and security. The reality is that there are hundreds of different prescription drugs and over the counter medication that can impair your ability to make good, sound judgments, you’re a fool to believe otherwise. Reasonable suspicion reporting has no bias and doesn’t invade your 4th amendment rights to privacy. [/SIZE]
[SIZE=10.5pt] [/SIZE]
[SIZE=10.5pt]As I stated as fact, numerous states have and will legalize the use of certain recreational drugs. It’s easy to prove the presents of these drugs in the body but under current testing protocol it’s impossible to accurately determine that the presents of these drugs impaired your ability to make sound judgments. Would it be reasonable to fire an employee in Colorado or Washington because they had the presents of legal drugs in their urine?     [/SIZE]

Knotbuyinit said:
I'm very familiar with the random drug testing program. I never once stated that it was my goal to talk the public out of random drug testing. It is my belief that the most effective way to catch a person that is impaired on the job is through reasonable suspicion reporting only. [/size]
 [/size]
The random drug testing program was never designed to catch a person impaired on the job; it was designed to give the general public a “warm and fuzzy” feeling and a false sense of safety and security. The reality is that there are hundreds of different prescription drugs and over the counter medication that can impair your ability to make good, sound judgments, you’re a fool to believe otherwise. Reasonable suspicion reporting has no bias and doesn’t invade your 4th amendment rights to privacy. [/size]
 [/size]
As I stated as fact, numerous states have and will legalize the use of certain recreational drugs. It’s easy to prove the presents of these drugs in the body but under current testing protocol it’s impossible to accurately determine that the presents of these drugs impaired your ability to make sound judgments. Would it be reasonable to fire an employee in Colorado or Washington because they had the presents of legal drugs in their urine?     [/size]
I agree with your assessment of the "warm and fuzzy". Random testing was also supposed to be a deterring factor in addition to interrupting patterns of drug abuse before they manifest themselves in other ways. I also know that certain prescription drugs can and will impair. The Flight Surgeon has a list, that is often reviewed, that has disqualifying medications for airmen. If you are an airman, you should know what those are.

As to your point about legal drugs in some states, those may be legal but they are still banned from use in certain occupational fields by employers. As such, employees are tested for them as a matter of employment condition. Many jobs require sacrifice. Firefighters can not have facial hair. DOT regulated employees must be randomly tested for drugs and alcohol. Certain professions have physical requirements like height and weight restrictions. Some require climbing and confined space entry. Lawyers and Doctors have ethical codes that other professions do not.

My libertarian side agrees with your point about random testing and on the job impairment. It also agrees that we have the choice to do a job that does not limit our "freedom" to choose what we do in our off time. If one chooses aviation, that right to freedom in your time off to do "legal drugs" other than alcohol is quashed.

As I stated as fact, numerous states have and will legalize the use of certain recreational drugs. It’s easy to prove the presents of these drugs in the body but under current testing protocol it’s impossible to accurately determine that the presents of these drugs impaired your ability to make sound judgments
Don't have to "prove" impairment. There is legal precedent for assumption of impairment. Look at the DWI (or DUI, if you prefer) standard which has been tightened in the past few years. Now, not everyone is a falling down drunk with .08 blood alcohol level. Some people function quite well at .08, others are unconscious by that point. But, under the law in just about every state, you are still guilty of DWI if your blood test shows .08 or more.

The same precedent is applied to drug tests. Though, there may be an argument for the fact that in today's testing, any presence of psychoactive drugs--marijuana, cocaine, etc--is illegal.

define illegal drugs?  how would the FAA be able to enforce a US no drug policy in a country where marijuana was legal?

PHXConx said:
define illegal drugs?  how would the FAA be able to enforce a US no drug policy in a country where marijuana was legal?

We don't permit you to do 121 or 131 work...or whatever category with out testing. Would be similar to alcohol here.