FAA Proposes Drug/Alcohol Testing at Foreign Maintenance Facilities

delldude said:

We don't permit you to do 121 or 131 work...or whatever category with out testing. Would be similar to alcohol here.
thats not my question, the question is if im a citizen in a different country, and something is legal there, does the FAA have the right to tell you that you cant work in that country?  

We may not be able to because we are subject to FAA regulations, they are not.  

Countries must abide by FAA/ICAO standards to give them status allowing them to fly into the United States.

More specifically, IASA:

International Aviation Safety Assessments (IASA) Program

"The United States Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) established the IASA program through public policy in August of 1992. FAA's foreign assessment program focuses on a country's ability, not the individual air carrier, to adhere to international standards and recommended practices for aircraft operations and maintenance established by the United Nation's technical agency for aviation, the International Civil Aviation Organization (ICAO)."

http://www.faa.gov/about/initiatives/iasa/

As for legal substances that you may or may not use while working on aircraft, that would be up to the airline or country. However, they would risk running afoul of the USDOT/FAA/ICAO if they allowed certain things which could lead to permit revocation.

PHXConx said:
thats not my question, the question is if im a citizen in a different country, and something is legal there, does the FAA have the right to tell you that you cant work in that country?  

We may not be able to because we are subject to FAA regulations, they are not.  

Well booze is legal here, go to work all smacked up and see how it goes.

If they want the FAA certification....that's it right there.

delldude said:

Well booze is legal here, go to work all smacked up and see how it goes.

If they want the FAA certification....that's it right there.
I don't think the US government has the right to tell a citizen in another country what to do.. im pretty sure their courts would agree... 

They can try it but most likely it will be a violation of their rights... The FAA has no jurisdiction in other countries.  And its not right for an agency to without word from Congress impose treaties on other countries.  Last i checked that still has to go through the Senate first

I get the reason why we would want such a thing to keep heavy maintenance in the states... but this isn't the way to do it, in fact its probably not even legal...  

I think adding the drug/alcohol testing to ICAO/IASA is the way forward, especially if labor wants to force the return of that segment back to the USA.

We don't need to impose our laws on other countries. All we need to do is give them guidelines they must follow. Follow them and we allow them to fly into the USA. Don't follow and don't fly here. Very simple.

Glenn Quagmire said:
I think adding the drug/alcohol testing to ICAO/IASA is the way forward, especially if labor wants to force the return of that segment back to the USA.

We don't need to impose our laws on other countries. All we need to do is give them guidelines they must follow. Follow them and we allow them to fly into the USA. Don't follow and don't fly here. Very simple.
just so we are on the same page... ICAO is a UN agency and that would be the place to do it... i would agree with that.. 

the IASA is a specific program inside the FAA 

The United States Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) established the IASA program through public policy in August of 1992. FAA's foreign assessment program focuses on a country's ability, not the individual air carrier, to adhere to international standards and recommended practices for aircraft operations and maintenance established by the United Nation's technical agency for aviation, the International Civil Aviation Organization (ICAO).

It really has no role in rule making.. but the ICAO would be the place to go..  again the FAA would have no place or say in that.  other than explaining to our UN ambassador what we wanted changed and have them negotiate at the UN a solution If the UN then mandates it then 

i mean this isnt about other airlines this is about our mx work being done  in other countries by contractors and having the FAA regulate them.. in another country..  while i believe if they work in the USA they follow all FAA regulations but if they are in the Netherlands the FAA has no place telling them what to put in their body

The FAA already regulates Foreign MROs and they have the right to do so.

700UW said:
The FAA already regulates Foreign MROs and they have the right to do so.
they do not regulate them, they are regulated via bilateral agreements negotiated between the two countries. FAA does not have the authority to arbitrarily  change those agreements 

The FAA may be the agency in this country that enforces them. but thats it. they cant just change agreements negotiated between two or more nations