Final Offer

linemech

Advanced
Nov 5, 2003
PIT
Levine, though, said IAM would let 4,649 machinists and 4,259 baggage handlers vote on the company's "last and best offer" before the judge has a chance to act. But she also admitted that the company's current proposal "limits, if not eliminates" the possibility of membership ratification

Pittsburgh Post Gazette

linemech

(From the article)
The proposed concessions, which Levine referred to yesterday as the "four horsemen of the apocalypse," include pay reductions, pension eliminations, retiree health-care cuts and outsourcing of almost 3,000 machinists and 4,000 baggage handlers, according to union officials.
A US Airways attorney, Brian Leitch, said the company may not make it past mid-January without the sacrifices.

------------------------------
pay reductions, pension ELIMINATIONS, retiree be-headings, and OUTSOURCING 3,000 machinists and 4,000 fleet service ???????

Please send me a strike vote with the ballot. Why wait until mid-Jan? Give me my Christmas present now!

That is only if there is no consensual agreement.

The baggage handlers gave the company a counterproposal on Wednesday and the machinists did the same on Thursday. Both offers trade job losses for savings elsewhere, such as increased productivity.

700UW said:
That is only if there is no consensual agreement.

The baggage handlers gave the company a counterproposal on Wednesday and the machinists did the same on Thursday. Both offers trade job losses for savings elsewhere, such as increased productivity.
[post="229776"][/post]​

700UW,

I apologize if the title of my original post was misleading.

After reading that the IAM would let 4,649 machinists and 4,259 baggage handlers vote on the company's "last and best offer" before the judge has a chance to act, I took the statement to mean that the IAM negotiating team had not been able to bring anything back other than the "last and best offer".

It does not appear we will see a consensual agreement if 4,649 machinists and 4,259 baggage handlers have to make a choice between voting away their jobs or trading job losses for savings elsewhere, as "savings elsewhere"would be a unrealistic burden for those that remain when those savings must make up the cost of many of the 8900 or so jobs that the company wishes to eliminate.

If it is a final offer that is voted on, a no vote is as good as a yes vote because either way you will most likely live with that "final offer" (judge imposed or not) for as long as you work for US Airways, .

linemech

Who knows if a T/A can be reached, the company is not being realistic if they think 7,000 people will vote themselves out of a job.

And no need to apologize, you and I are in the same boat.

700UW said:
Who knows if a T/A can be reached, the company is not being realistic if they think 7,000 people will vote themselves out of a job.

[post="229791"][/post]​
me too? :down:
i get this very sad,sickening feeling i'm being put out to dry by my union.....

No by the company, no union can bring out a T/A that elimimates 50% or more of each respective work group.

Go back and read the company's first offer.

Can you live with that?

delldude said:
me too? :down:
i get this very sad,sickening feeling i'm being put out to dry by my union.....
[post="229797"][/post]​

I hope you're kidding...everywhere I go when people find out I am a EX U mechanic they say something along the lines of, Good For You, Good You Got OUT, Those No Good Management Crooks. The public is outraged over what is happening to the U employee and the Public "Knows" it's management and NOT the unions.

Like it was said, how can one expect self evisceration in the name of saving the company so the top "dogs" can live another day and conquer another union some place else. If the IAM votes absolutely NO and I lose my pension in the process, so be it, and good for the men and women who have the fortitude to stand up to corporate insanity.

Curt

Brian Leitch, attorney for U said "the company will not make it to Mid-Jan without the cuts"
My Rant: Even with the proposed cuts, the company is beyond making it. They have been for some time. They have NEVER had a specific business plan, nobody within the management team can seem to foresee the future. So they take and take from labor, and when there is nothing left, the doors will close. Folks, the building is on fire, and fire marshall Mitchell will not dig deep enough to ID the cause. When history is written, the cause will be 911 did it, the LOC's did it, and of course labor will be named too. No mention of the inept management.
If Judge Mitchell gives in to U, I think the IAM will strike, its all they can do. This WILL be the hook and ladder that puts the fire out. Maybe U needs to close so other's will survive. The loss of U here in the Charlotte area will be very devastating for the economy, but someone else will replace them, I'm sure. So U, downsize, all you can, it still will not make you productive.
See Mr. Iacocca for how to rebuild a company.
Thanks for reading my rant. I have been reading this forum for almost 2 years, have felt all these employee's pain. Furloughed 2 years after 14.5 years. I am working now, but keep reading because many of my friends are barely hanging on. <_<

Good luck to you all
Vasco

700UW said:
No by the company, no union can bring out a T/A that elimimates 50% or more of each respective work group.

Go back and read the company's first offer.

Can you live with that?
[post="229801"][/post]​
any union faced with what the ask is must do what it can to limit the amount of loss and not convert it into total loss and passoff the decision to the rank and file.....
cwa and afa banged out t/a's in about the same length of time as iam has been "negotiating". IAM should accept the fact that some jobs must be sacrificed and limit the damage as best as possible under the circumstances.
has not been any inkling from IAM as to proposals exchanged back and forth by IAM and the company...from where i sit it looks as if they aren't doing much of anything...
i've got a sinking feeling the unions failure in the negotiating room will be passed off to the rank and file...well they voted to reject it....thats all we can do....
oh wow ,man...i'm about to become part of labor history...wow...
We understand that much needs to be done in order to reach an agreement and complete the ratification process in such a short time frame, especially over the holidays, but your negotiators are committed to getting it done.
where you been for the last month???

You cannot take a contract out that will eliminate over 50% of the workers and get it ratified, if you can figure how to do it then bemy guest.

There was a proposal given to the company Thursday evening and no reply from US yet, and Fleet Service gave a proposal Wednesday evening.

700UW said:
You cannot take a contract out that will eliminate over 50% of the workers and get it ratified, if you can figure how to do it then bemy guest.

There was a proposal given to the company Thursday evening and no reply from US yet, and Fleet Service gave a proposal Wednesday evening.
[post="229819"][/post]​
funny...take on the floor from the junior people is they'll vote anything in to get their severance and collect as they know they're toast.....
give adnolfi my phone number..... :(

700UW said:

[post="229791"][/post]​

Yea, but if there are similar guarantees like CA$H , a year of medical ,and Lifetime flying benefits you might as well leave with something rather than nothing!

700UW said:

[post="229819"][/post]​

How's this:

1. IAM-M guarantees the company they can turn out the heavy checks at the same pace and at the same cost as the other outfits.

2. IAM agrees to address the productivity problems associated with utility possibly through the use of some multi-tasking.

That should save some jobs. What do you think 700?

A320 Driver

LGA / 037 said:
Yea, but if there are similar guarantees like CA$H , a year of medical ,and Lifetime flying benefits you might as well leave with something rather than nothing!
[post="229837"][/post]​
You have got to be Kidding....There is nothing Guaranteed with this company.
They may have it in this offering, but will take it away later. Lifetime flying benefits....Big Deal. What good are they when you are Broke when you arrive at your destination. The Medical plan stinks now, and only gets worse as time goes on. Did you fail to notice that as soon as you get a pay increase, that your Medical contribution just "Happens" to increase along with it??? There are P/T jobs out there that have Medical plans that puts ours to shame, and cost less to boot.
Have nothing now or later....

Back