FREE TRAINING

Another nice opportunity to learn a trade. HVAC is always in demand. Again the perfect 1 2 3 combination of job training, education, and licensing to a journeyman status. 

Apprenticeships
Air Assurance believes that to get the best technicians, we need to help support the best training possible for students interested in pursuing a career in heating and air conditioning. We have participated in the Oklahoma State University and ICTC apprenticeship programs for a number of years.

We have been extremely pleased with this educational partnership. It has provided excellent results for our company and our team members.

Training opportunities:

Oklahoma's Promise: OHLAP
OSU
1801 E. 4th
Okmulgee OK 74447
See Paul Margwarth
or Matt Davis in the HVAC Department
Tulsa Technology Center

An apprenticeship program for pipefitters. 

They also do have apprenticeships for plumbers, welders, and HVAC / REF.

Apprentices start at $13.97 (52% of the current journeyman wage rate) and take part in a structured OTJ training and education program with structured raises ever 10 6 month periods.

http://www.tulsapipetrades.com/apply.html 

Like the idea of becoming a skilled electrician?

The IBEW and NECA contractors jointly sponsor the JATC Apprenticeship Training Program, which is the most comprehensive electrical training program in the world, with over $100 million spent annually to produce the worlds best trained electrical workforce. This program provides tuition-free education, and allows the trainees to "earn as they learn", gathering valuable hands-on experience on the jobsite in addition to their classroom education in all phases of the electrical industry.

http://www.ibew584.com/about1.html

eolesen said:
We've traded out manufacturing for a services economy by encouraging everyone to go to college vs. encouraging trades.

That came at a price. Now we're paying it.
Free trade & an environment that valued offshoring didn't help, but your overall point is absolutely dead on.

Glenn Quagmire said:
Why didn't you get one of all these great jobs instead getting a handout to get retrained?
That is a fair question. I started school while still employed at American Airlines. I only had about half a year left. I already had a large amount of money invested in schooling and wanted to see a return on the money I spent and finish what I started.

Honestly the thought of "getting one of these great jobs" had not even occurred to me. I had a very defined plan on what I was going to do.  I made up my mind (while still employed at AA) what I was going to accomplish and who I was going to work for and I made it happen. Call it determination or tunnel vision, your choice. 

There is also the fact that in one year I am already exceeding what many of these apprenticeships are offering at topped out pay. 

I would say if you are flipping burgers for minimum wage or living on welfare and don't really have a lot of prospects these opportunities could give you a good future.

I answered your question now answer mine. Would you have me not finish school and waste an education, and don't pull your crap about me using public funds, because those are the ONLY public funds I have used in 21 years of gainful employment and I have already paid back what I used many times over in the last year.

I await your answer, and try not to sling mud if you can help it.

Your handout is different than Tamika's because you have an explanation?

You have conveniently put her and all who receive support in a little box that fits your stereotype.

Many people find themselves in positions of need. Tamika, you, and many others are all the same. Some are more able to recover from the setbacks than others.

You choose to say "mine is deserved", theirs is not. You do this having no idea what anyone's individual situation is.

I am a firm believer, like SparrowHawk, in the social contract. I think you deserved what you got. I also think others are deserving while you choose to vilify some. You do this based on some preconceived bias. You will never admit it, because, well, bias is not a self-recognized trait.

You did the exact same thing in the LGA firing thread. You habitually stereotype groups of people, and individuals, based on limited facts and knowledge.

This country is slowly overcoming people like you. Thankfully, you are the new minority.

Glenn Quagmire said:
Your handout is different than Tamika's because you have an explanation?
His "handout" is different because it had an expiration, not an explanation.

I can't stand welfare, but I have little problem with limited assistance. There's no way to take job training and turn it into anything more than a leg up.

I know --you, Sparrow and a few others want to point and scream "Hypocrite!" at anyone who takes advantage of a government funded program, but they're not all the same.

Job retraining grants tend to pay back in spades.

Medicaid, TANF and SNAP don't.

If you can't tell the difference between them, that's sad. And that's your problem to deal with, not mine.

Glenn Quagmire said:
You have conveniently put her and all who receive support in a little box that fits your stereotype.

You do this based on some preconceived bias. You will never admit it, because, well, bias is not a self-recognized trait.

You habitually stereotype groups of people, and individuals, based on limited facts and knowledge.

This country is slowly overcoming people like you. Thankfully, you are the new minority.
Don't you think you are stereotyping me?

I recognize we need social welfare, but I also recognize that many many MANY people abuse it.

Since you answered what I asked of you perhaps you will answer more questions.

Do you think it is fair for a women on welfare to have several kids for the taxpayers to support?

Does she not lessen her prospects of being independent with every child she has?

Don't you think that continues a cycle of poverty?

Don't you think that causes harm socially when you redistribute wealth from working people to people who continuously make irresponsible choices over and over?

Do you think it is fair for people to make those bad choices but not pay any consequences while asking others to carry the burden of those choices? 

I don't think I am the new minority. I think many working people are sick and tired of welfare abuse and no accountability whatsoever.

The most often heard answer I have received when asking someone unemployed why they don't have a job is "I can't find a job" I just posted tons of jobs on here that will train people, and they pay a living wage, or they open the door for a good future. Do you really think these people are actually looking? I don't think they want to work. I think what they want is a handout.  I find an able bodies man being 30 and younger not being able to find work pretty suspect and before you ask they claimed they had no criminal history or medical issues, they just simply could not find work.

I challenge you to answer the questions I asked. 

eolesen said:
His "handout" is different because it had an expiration, not an explanation.

I can't stand welfare, but I have little problem with limited assistance. There's no way to take job training and turn it into anything more than a leg up.

I know --you, Sparrow and a few others want to point and scream "Hypocrite!" at anyone who takes advantage of a government funded program, but they're not all the same.

Job retraining grants tend to pay back in spades.

Medicaid, TANF and SNAP don't.

If you can't tell the difference between them, that's sad. And that's your problem to deal with, not mine.
TRUTH. 

La Li Lu Le Lo said:
Does she not lessen her prospects of being independent with every child she has
How much money, or what lifestyle must a woman have before (in your world) she is allowed to have children? How many can she have and what career level must she be in order to have more?

Glenn Quagmire said:
How much money, or what lifestyle must a woman have before (in your world) she is allowed to have children? How many can she have and what career level must she be in order to have more?
Your dodging the questions. Why don't you answer them?

La Li Lu Le Lo said:
I challenge you to answer the questions I asked. 
Glenn Quagmire said:
La Li Lu Le Lo said:
Your dodging the questions. Why don't you answer them?
I guess Glenn does not have much to say.  I mean besides dodging questions.

Here, I summarized the questions for you.

1. Do you think it is fair for a women on welfare to have several kids for the taxpayers to support?

2. Does she not lessen her prospects of being independent with every child she has?

3. Don't you think that continues a cycle of poverty?

4. Don't you think that causes harm socially when you redistribute wealth from working people to people who continuously make irresponsible choices over and over?

5. Do you think it is fair for people to make those bad choices but not pay any consequences while asking others to carry the burden of those choices? 

Back