Fun contest! Guess where NWA's next "incident" will be!

The first post-merger emergency landing occurred today in Rochester, NY...this round's winner is groundcontrol with the closest pick of PHL.

http://www.democratandchronicle.com/apps/p...NEWS01/80415038

Plane makes emergency stop in Rochester
Staff reports • April 15, 2008

A flight from Syracuse to Detroit landed unexpectedly in Rochester for a short time this afternoon when the plane experienced a pressure problem.

The Northwest Airlines DC-9 aircraft, carrying 106 passengers and about five crew members, made an emergency landing at the Greater Rochester International Airport about 1:15 p.m., said Airport Director David Damelio.

The pressure problem stemmed from the tail of the plane, where it appeared a door was not closed properly, Damelio said. Air pressure in the cabin was not affected, Damelio said.

An alert was called at the airport at 1:09 p.m., Damelio said, and the plane landed safely a few minutes later. The plane did not stay in Rochester long before taking off for Detroit, he said.

My next choice will be MKE.

The first post-merger emergency landing occurred today in Rochester, NY...this round's winner is groundcontrol with the closest pick of PHL.

A flight from Syracuse to Detroit landed unexpectedly in Rochester for a short time this afternoon when the plane experienced a pressure problem.

The Northwest Airlines DC-9 aircraft, carrying 106 passengers and about five crew members, made an emergency landing at the Greater Rochester International Airport about 1:15 p.m., said Airport Director David Damelio.

The pressure problem stemmed from the tail of the plane, where it appeared a door was not closed properly, Damelio said. Air pressure in the cabin was not affected, Damelio said.

An alert was called at the airport at 1:09 p.m., Damelio said, and the plane landed safely a few minutes later. The plane did not stay in Rochester long before taking off for Detroit, he said.

Just for clarification- it was actually a horizontal stablizer probelm. USAirports was working on it all night. Don't want the ground SYR to be blamed for not closing the door properly.

Wasn't there a SYR-DTW that divereted to ROC a few months ago? If so, that would be the first, repeat flight routing diversion & same diversion airport.

I'll go back to the heartland and take Cedar Rapids, IA.

Wasn't there a SYR-DTW that divereted to ROC a few months ago? If so, that would be the first, repeat flight routing diversion & same diversion airport.

I'll go back to the heartland and take Cedar Rapids, IA.

I love the reporting...... about 5? Is that 4.5 crew, 5 or 5.5 crew mwmbers. Hello David Damelio???? You ARE the Airport Director! For the next adventure, I'll pick DCA for 'Wing Tip' dancing. Seems to be the new 'Winglet' manufacturing base, scheduled Mx or not! B)

So the major f-ups are in SYR? First a hole and now this.

Signals- My previous post tried to clarified that it was a mechanical not cause by the ground crew in SYR. (yes they put a hole in one but they did not damage this one) They are now looking into the maint. records for that a/c. Was close to being another Alaska Airlines type failure.

Sorry, but only NW mainline flights are considered for this thread. The only thing that this incident shows is that the apple doesn't fall too far from the tree when it comes to emergency landings...

Below is a separate article from the Canadian media about the incident (it is much more descriptive about the event):

http://www.canada.com/topics/news/national...54-3ba4afb3c6bd

Here's what one passenger had to say about the experience...

"I heard the commotion, turned around. (There was) a lot of smoke, a lot of people looking really terrified. The next thing you know, the last probably eight or nine rows were running to the front of the plane because of the smoke. Next thing you know they were all sitting in the laps of the people up front ... (A flight attendant) came on (the intercom) and said, 'Electrical fire and we're going to be making an emergency landing,'" Dirksen recalled after arriving safely in Regina on Thursday.

Sorry, but only NW mainline flights are considered for this thread. The only thing that this incident shows is that the apple doesn't fall too far from the tree when it comes to emergency landings...

Below is a separate article from the Canadian media about the incident (it is much more descriptive about the event):

http://www.canada.com/topics/news/national...54-3ba4afb3c6bd

Yes, this was a very good article. I love the part at the end about the compensation. Gee, inflight fire, descending 30,000 ft in 8 mins, here's 2 $100 vouchers, that probably can't even be combined.

Billings said the passengers were offered two $100 vouchers for travel with Northwest Airlines -- of which Compass Airlines is a wholly owned subsidiary -- which must be used separately.

Latest posts