Getting My pilots license!

Greenops

Feb 13, 2009
I am 17 years old, and want to get my pilots license. I want to know What type of license i should go for. (Sport license?) I plan on Flying professionally as a job. (Ups, Fedex and the like) Do you have tips as to what license I should go for? I also plan on getting my instructors license so I can teach people while gaining hours for a resume. I plan on still going to college Is there anything specifically I should major in that would help my chances of getting a job in aviation? Thanks for the help in advance!

If...

1. You are still in high school
2. You make good grades
3. Are active in extracurricular activities--at school, your church, your community
4. Have stayed out of trouble (so far :lol:)
5. And you really, really, really want to fly

then...

investigate attending the United States Air Force Academy! Getting in is not easy. Staying in is even harder. But, the rewards are tremendous. My nephew attended the Academy, and today he is a test pilot at Nellis AFB near Las Vegas. If accepted, your parents only have to make a one time fee payment up front (in 1992, it was $1000 for my nephew), and the rest of your education is free. You do have a 4 or 6 year commitment to the Air Force when you graduate, but that's it.

Since it is already February, if you are a high school senior this year, it may already be too late to start the application process for next Fall, but if not, it's worth a try.

If you're sure you want to pursue flying as a career and the AF Academy doesn't work out, don't even think about the sport pilot license (although it's simple to get). You'll have to go through getting your private then commercial license and the instrument and multiengine rating, so might as well go straight to the private license.

For getting hired as a pilot a specific college degree isn't required, but if possible I'd go to a school that integrated flight training and courses leading to a degree - kills 2 birds with one stone, so to speak. If you do go this route, the degree will probably have some connection to aviation so the ground school part of getting your various licenses counts toward the degree.

There are also "flight academies" that promise at least an interview with one of the express carriers if you complete their curriculum. That might be something to look into.

Jim

I have been looking at some flight academies. There are two big factors in deciding which school to attend, cost and location. I have looked through a few sites like http://www.atpflightschool.com/ and at first seeing a $50,000 price tag I began to freak out. As I thought about it it didn't seem as bad because this would most likely be taken INSTEAD of college. College in itself takes $40,000-$60,000 a year. So my question is at what point is it too much for a flight academy?

I live in the DFW area Right in the middle between Dallas and Fort Worth. One last thing Should I get my Sports license before attending a flight academy? One last side note the Air Force is not off limits to me (I'm in Air force Jr. ROTC) but I would prefer to Try to get a civilian career in aviation. The Air Force academy just doesn't seem to be for me, I'm great in math And love to read books but I always do horrible on essay's and end up failing English. (Yet I'm passing German Ironic isn't it?)

Also a passion of mine is rotary winged aircraft Is there a bigger job market for Helicopter pilots?

Thank you again for the responses!

EDIT: This place is only $29,000 (http://www.skymavs.com/) And is close by this place looks promising.

The flight training required to get you to the point of being paid isn't going to be cheap no matter where you go.

When I mentioned a flight academy, I was thinking of one affiliated with a regional airline - graduates were guaranteed an interview with the affiliated regional. I don't know if there are still any, but Comair used to have one in/around Atlanta. Pick up a copy of Flying magazine and see if there are any ads.

The places like the one you provided the link to are merely places where you can get the licenses/ratings in a compressed amount of time. They used to be scattered across the southern part of the country (better year around weather), but I don't know if that's still the case. The advantage is that you can get your licenses/ratings in a relatively short period of time, with the drawback being that you spend all that money in a short period of time and still don't have a degree.

Finally, the colleges/universities that offer flight training as part of a degree come in two flavors - public and private - just as any college/university. The public ones have in-state/out-of-state tuition - if there's one in your state the degree part will be less expensive. Ohio State comes to mind as a public university. The private ones are generally more expensive since they're not state supported, and have the same tuition for everyone. Embry-Riddle is a private university.

As I said before, the college/university route gets you the licenses/ratings as well as a degree, but takes longer and are usually more expensive than the places that only get you the license/ratings - you do get a degree as well after all.

Given the qualifications needed to get a sport pilots license (or relative lack of qualifications) I'm still not sure it'd be worth the time. Better to put that time/money toward getting the private license I would think.

Jim

This link will take you to a list of bigger flight schools as well as colleges/universities that offer flight instruction. This is another link to a site with the same type of info. I can't make any promises that it's all inclusive or even up to date.

Jim

So what you are saying is that I would be better off attending a college that offer's a aviation program or a flight academy that is directly affiliated with a company in aviation? I would like to get a degree so if I were to ever lose my job as a pilot i would always have that to lean on. Something like http://www.waco.tstc.edu/apt/ ?

No - not saying that and didn't mean to even imply it. Just offering up possibilities. There is no "one size fits all" answer that is best for everyone. Every option has pros and cons for each individual. What's best for you is strictly your decision.

Jim

Alright thanks a ton! I'm going to look into each option further before making a decision. This has been a lot of help thank you!

Back