Hedge Funds Seeks DL/UA Merger

chucky

Senior
Sep 13, 2006
Hedge Fund Seeks Delta Merger With United

By JEFF BAILEY
Published: November 14, 2007
Pardus Capital Management, a New York hedge fund, has sent a letter to management of Delta Air Lines asking it to seek a stock-for-stock merger with UAL, the parent of United Airlines, in a deal that would create the world’s largest airline and could prompt sweeping consolidation in the airline industry.

Gordon M. Bethune, former chief executive officer of Continental Airlines, is working with Pardus, the hedge fund said in the letter. And consultants have identified $585 million in savings the two big airlines — currently Nos. 2 and 3 in the country — could realize by combining operations.

Pardus said in its letter, sent Tuesday night, that it owns seven million Delta shares, about a 2.6 percent stake.

The proposal comes one year after a bid for Delta by US Airways that ultimately failed. That offer raised hopes among investors that airlines, long reluctant to merge because of expected labor problems and other factors, would finally consolidate and make the industry more efficient.

The US Airways bid also, however, attracted opposition from Delta workers, who feared widespread job losses, and from some who expected that the deal would reduce air service in some cities both carriers served

Story

And to think people here thought I've been on something for all these years.

I have - a profound sense of where this industry is going.

My Skymiles account is about to get a lot bigger.

Delta Comments On Pardus Capital Management Letter
Wednesday November 14, 1:26 pm ET
Company reiterates previously stated positions on industry consolidation

ATLANTA, Nov. 14, 2007 (PRIME NEWSWIRE) -- Delta Air Lines (NYSE:DAL - News) CEO Richard Anderson today issued the following statement in response to correspondence from Pardus Capital Management LP advocating that Delta lead industry consolidation:

``We appreciate receiving Pardus' views on the best course for Delta's future. We have been consistent in our public statements that Delta believes that the right consolidation transaction could generate significant value for our shareholders and employees and that strategic options should be evaluated. With oil at over $90 a barrel, this analysis takes on a heightened importance as we factor those prices into our long-term planning process.''

Prior to receiving this letter, Delta's Board of Directors had established a special committee of the Board to work with management to review and analyze strategic options to ensure Delta maintains its leadership position in the airline industry, including potential consolidation transactions. The committee is headed by Daniel Carp, Delta's non-executive Chairman of the Board. The company had also retained financial and legal advisors to assist in this review and in the development of recommendations to Delta's Board of Directors.

Full Text

--- Welcome back WT :) ---

I definitely think something is going to happen. But what about the regulators/DOJ and Congressional influence? I don't see how a UA/DL combo would pass these hurdles unless they gave up any overlap and/or reduced flights in key overlap markets.
Comments?

Dal+Ual = NW (playing both it's cards Golden Share & and Pacific Division)+Cal..+AA(as I do not see AA being shut out of Asia)= checkmate

Giving the Tri-parte carrier dominance in Asia-India/Europe/N.S.America.

Hubs: Tri-parte
Tokyo
LA
MSP
DAL
DTW
ORD
JFK
MIA
EWR
HOU
----------------------------
SFO
ORD
DEN
ATL
IAD
JFK
CVG
----------------------

Well, so far it just looks like another hedge fund trying to make some quick money on a relatively small stake (2-3% of each carrier). Time will tell if anything comes of it.

Jim

AP has reported Dal & Ual have been in talks. There's smoke...Anderson has been alluding to mergers the last few weeks.

I say an announcement within weeks ...or less.

Well, so far it just looks like another hedge fund trying to make some quick money on a relatively small stake (2-3% of each carrier). Time will tell if anything comes of it.

Jim

Looks like Pardus bought 3,000,000 DAL hedge funds on 2007-08-14
Today, 2007-11-14 Pardus bought another 4,000,000 AFTER he sent the letter to DAL.

Oh, I forgot to mention Pardus bought UAL shares now at 3,000,000. Pardus has been buying and selling a bit of UAL shares, but the balance is now 3,000,000.

Nothing like having a stake in BOTH companies and sending a letter demanding a merger so you can watch both stocks go up! Amazing.

Too bad 90% of the DAL pilots sold their stock, maybe they could have had a little more say in their next contract!

Link: www.sec.gov
Under "Edgar"
Click on Companies and other filers
CIK type in 1337183

Forms:

13F-HR on 2007-8-14
13F-HR on 2007-11-14

There is no merger!

Looks like Pardus bought 3,000,000 DAL hedge funds on 2007-08-14
Today, 2007-11-14 Pardus bought another 4,000,000 AFTER he sent the letter to DAL.

Oh, I forgot to mention Pardus bought UAL shares now at 3,000,000. Pardus has been buying and selling a bit of UAL shares, but the balance is now 3,000,000.

Nothing like having a stake in BOTH companies and sending a letter demanding a merger so you can watch both stocks go up! Amazing.

Too bad 90% of the DAL pilots sold their stock, maybe they could have had a little more say in their next contract!

Link: www.sec.gov
Under "Edgar"
Click on Companies and other filers
CIK type in 1337183

Forms:

13F-HR on 2007-8-14
13F-HR on 2007-11-14

There is no merger!

I think you are partly right. Pardus essentially makes its living off of buying relatively large stakes in distressed companies. Often, they purchase claims in bankruptcy to be switched into equity. Pardus usually looks for a 1-4 year horizon. At that point, they try to build it up so a decent sale price can be had. Now, it might be tempting to say that they are looking to sale these shares on an open market, which may be true. I think they are looking for major players here, a entity such as another hedge fund (or the like) to buy a stake at a premium over the current stock price. I didn't know Bethune was worth that much of a price jump. They just want to jump ship with the gains... but at a higher premium. They are probably looking for a european hedge fund who's money goes a bit farther.

Well, I would hope this would make the DAL f/s think twice about going union... They are crazy if they dont.. I was reading and article where they were interviewing people at ATL in the terminal, and they interviewed this f/a, and she said - "well our CEO said that if we merged we will be in control, and we will keep our seniority" I almost fell on my face laughing.. I can't believe people are that naive... Even if DAL did purchase an iarline outright, then there would still have to be a vote in property...

Well, I would hope this would make the DAL f/s think twice about going union... They are crazy if they dont.. I was reading and article where they were interviewing people at ATL in the terminal, and they interviewed this f/a, and she said - "well our CEO said that if we merged we will be in control, and we will keep our seniority" I almost fell on my face laughing.. I can't believe people are that naive... Even if DAL did purchase an iarline outright, then there would still have to be a vote in property...

Vote to go with UAL F/A contract or current DL wages/work rules.
I doubt it will be very close DTTB. JMO from the outside.

UA F/A top of scale, 2837 after 14 years.
DL F/A top of scale, 3080 after 12 years.

UA Terminated Pension
DL Frozen Pension (BIG difference)

UA 401(k) 3% direct contribution & 3% match.
DL 4019K 2% dicrect contribution & 5% match.

UA per diem domestic $1.50 INTL $1.75
DL per diem domestic $1.85 INTL $2.40

Vote to go with UAL F/A contract or current DL wages/work rules.
I doubt it will be very close DTTB. JMO from the outside.

UA F/A top of scale, 2837 after 14 years.
DL F/A top of scale, 3080 after 12 years.

UA Terminated Pension
DL Frozen Pension (BIG difference)

UA 401(k) 3% direct contribution & 3% match.
DL 4019K 2% dicrect contribution & 5% match.

UA per diem domestic $1.50 INTL $1.75
DL per diem domestic $1.85 INTL $2.40

Broken, you must remember, however, that many DL f/a's have other issues that would require "getting into the weeds" in this forum which I'm not going to do. However, one of those involves accountability (even just from crew schedulers) and something as basic as allowing a witness to come into a disciplinary hearing with you. Delta has done a good job over the years in the pay area...in order to keep the union out...we all know this. But unless you've worked for Delta as a f/a, you can't know the other issues. And some DL f/a's are happy with the status quo and that is their right. But others feel it's time for contractual protection. It's a very large comany, obviously. with a wide variety of f/a's in differing bases with differing issues.

UA f/a's top out at $41.05 an hour (if the outdated often website is correct this time). I've heard DL f/a's are less than that.

If it happens, they should go with the greater of the two (which I'm pretty sure is United) :up:

Back