Helicopter Sales

CTD ---- there are also some twin-engined aircraft that are certified in Canada and shouldn't be. I refer you to the S-62. Figuring out when the s.o.b was going to go back to idle without warning, was like trying to figure out when your wife's water was going to break when she was pregnant.

Sorry 'ol bean, I just couldn't resist that.
9.gif

OK I give up. As we say in good-ole Newfoundland, "When 10 people tell you you''re drunk, LIE DOWN" So, piston twins it is then. All three of them

Hey Mr. Chairman... I got to fly the Mi-26 in 1993, and it is one of the true highlights of my career. Also got a crack at the Mi-17.

Cap, I don''t know either feeling - I guess I''ll have to trust you on that one!

CTD ---- so then the only thing you know about ''water breaking'' is when you have a bunch of ''brewskis'' and have to head to the Men''s Washroom. Is that what you are saying?

I can understand how all these sprogs are lacking good gen, Cap, but surely you remember the Sikorsky S-56 (or H-37 ''Mojave''). It was a honkin'' big bird with a schnoz similar to the 55''s and 58''s, and the engines were on high sponsons on each side and, in turn, supported the main landing gear. Here are some specs:

Rotor diameter: 21.95 m
Length: 19.76 m
Height: 6.71 m
Weight: Empty: 9386 kg Max: 15000
Engine: Two P&W R-2800 Double Wasp - 2100 hp each
Speed: Max: 209 km/h
Range: Max 233 km
Service Ceiling: 2652 m
First heavy Sikorsky, could carry up to 36 troops

How''s that for a twin piston?!?

The 56 was famous for burning ''more oil than fuel.'' Those sweet old Pratts just didn''t like that particular installation, I guess.

Knew a couple of guys that flew them while on exchange with the US Army - Dooley Ross was one, for those that remember him.

I thought the S-62 was the smaller single engined little brother of the Sea-King, that the USCoast Guard used? Single T-58 engine.
I''ve seen the S-56, what a brute! Would have been fun to wiggle the throttles on that one for sure!

Downwash and I knew a guy by the name of Pierre Looten, who recently passed away. He could fill your screen up with 'wonderful' stories on the S-62. Okanagan had one parked in Montreal, on Ryan Ave. for years and all he would do was taxi it over to be fueled up. There wasn't a chance on 'God's green earth' that those wheels would have left the terre firma. It was done again when they started putting Garrets into the S-55. They'd go back to idle without notice also. I understand that they solved the problem at some point in time, but not before Alpine had some scary moments. Pierre Looten said that the only thing that he could be certain of with the S-62 was that the engine would idle back as he was reaching for his coffee. Funny, to this day, whenever I reach for my coffee mug while in flight, I remember that comment of Pierre's.
9.gif

Dooley Ross ---- God Downwash, are you trying to make me feel older than I feel already? ----- 'shades' of Tom Murray.
9.gif

I''m sorry to here of Pierre''s passing I remember him well from my time at Okie.

Yeah, Cap, and I remember when it tooled around Inuvik and Tuk back in the 70''s. I can picture the guy that drove it, but his name eludes me (and it wasn''t Pierre, there). That was around the time Tommy Gurr was checking me out on the 204 at ''Bar C.'' Yessir, those WERE the days!

Ah yes - Bar-C went in there with Esso''s Twotter a few times and almost went once on the hooovercrash but luckily didn''t go. The Zoo, Mad Trapper and the Inn indeed great days in the Great White North

Think I''ll start a new link on camps

Probably gonna earn myself a slap here but here we go anyways:
The Mil Mi-2 is a twin TURBINE, not a twin piston, just thought you''d like to know that. It''s got two small turbines, and if I''m not totally of the chart, I do believe thay are trying for an STC to put RR250 ''s on it. Well Sorry, but I had to!

Not so fast Downwash there is a Polish helicopter with Coax rotors and two radial engines, I saw one in Burlington Vermont about 6 years ago it was in the hanger missing a ton of parts but it was the strangest helicopter I have ever seen.

Good for you, Winnie. I''ve just gotta stop taking some of these claims at face value. So, does that leave us with the S-56 as the ONLY twin piston helicopter?

Had a quick look at the owners web site it might be a KomavKA-26
The place is called Mansfield Heliflight can''t find a picture to confirm if it''s the same helicopter.

Good man, Elvis, although general availability in North America is my usual criterion.

It seems the original Kamov KA-26 was indeed, built with a pair of radials, followed later by turboshafts.

Although ''Heli History'' was sparse on this bird, a quick ''Google'' search brought up much, including:

http://avia.russian.ee/vertigo/ka-26-r.html

Back