I.A.M VS I.B.T

Any one that votes for Teamsters is proof that you are a no brainer. Any Union that would raid another union and plot one union brother against another in this day of struggling to keep union members shows me their true colors of greed and self satisfaction. And any IAM with usairways had better get proof of evidence of the Teamsters bylaws and rules on merging seniority. Talk is talk lets see it in writing and signed in blood like all the hard working folks of the past. The only rights you have are the ones you are willing to fight for and I haven't seen any one stand up and fight, you all just cut and run.

I am pro company...most of you already know this by now and you know the union is being forced upon many of us non-represented folk. Many of us were perfectly happy being non-union. But the time has come for us to pull our heads out of the sand and take some charge of our future. We didn't want this but as I've stated before change must be embraced and you make the best of the situation.

Went to my first union meeting yesterday with a few co-workers and my first impressions were good. Sure there was the expected union rhetoric, but I gained a better understanding of the situation that we will be confronted with soon. The feeling I got was the union folks (IBT) want to ensure the success of the company and get a fair contract at the same time.

I appreciate the extra time the members took to make us feel welcomed. Never been in a union before, but I intend to be the best member I can be, and contribute to not only the success of the company but to the membership as well.

The company undoubtedly wants the IAM to succeed. It will be much easier and cheaper than having to come to terms with the IBT, but I truly believe if the IBT does prevail a fair contract will be negotiated. Look only as far as the res agent agreement and you'll see a willingness by the company to move forward. The company can't afford a major hiccup in the merger and if there will be any leverage for a fair contract it is now not 2009 when the current IAM contract expires. Some say even if the IBT forces and wins a vote the IAM contract will be the surviving contract. Don't bet on it. It will be up to the NMB to make that determination and so far they haven't been to impressed with the IAM. The best chance for a new and fair contract is with the IBT.

If your currently not represented, non-management employee of US West you need to find out if your job description falls under the IAM contract. You can find the contract on the IBT website http://www.teamsterslocal104.org/

If you need help, use the website to contact someone at the IBT to ask questions. They are very willing to help and not overbearing (these boards can give a distorted picture). It won't hurt to sign a IBT card and turn it in. Cards will be held until the NMB asks for them to determine a need for an election. The IBT needs 35% of the membership of the crafts covered by the contract. If an election is called by the NMB both Unions will have the opportunity to campaign for your vote. IBT is working very hard for you to get all of it's members a better contract. They are not laying down.

If you've had your head in the sand, take it out and at least start getting information so you can make an informed decision. Good luck to us all and the company. :D

Any one that votes for Teamsters is proof that you are a no brainer. Any Union that would raid another union and plot one union brother against another in this day of struggling to keep union members shows me their true colors of greed and self satisfaction. And any IAM with usairways had better get proof of evidence of the Teamsters bylaws and rules on merging seniority. Talk is talk lets see it in writing and signed in blood like all the hard working folks of the past. The only rights you have are the ones you are willing to fight for and I haven't seen any one stand up and fight, you all just cut and run.
I hope we do not have to tell you this again. WE AT IBT HAVE SAID DATE OF HIRE... D.O.H.

Back