If Usair Tanks

DFWCC

Senior
Aug 19, 2002
DFW
IF USAIR TANKS.... As much as I would hate to see it, What do you think AA's 1st competative move would be?
Obviously add some flights to PIT but would AA also beef up STL to capture some of the smaller to med sized cities abandoned by USAIR?
Then again AA might accelerate JFK term construction to pick up some of those eastcoasters.

If USAir tanks, I hope that AA grabs as many slots at DCA and LGA as it can carry plus snatches up any desirable gates and other real estate at each airport. Forget PIT and STL, take over DCA and LGA. :)

DFWCC said:
IF USAIR TANKS.... As much as I would hate to see it, What do you think AA's 1st competative move would be?
Obviously add some flights to PIT but would AA also beef up STL to capture some of the smaller to med sized cities abandoned by USAIR?
Then again AA might accelerate JFK term construction to pick up some of those eastcoasters.
DFWCC,

I too, hope US makes it.(I've got family there)

However, on the "flip side", just the slots at BOS, DCA, and especially LGA, I expect to see a "brutal" bidding war between AA,DL,B6 and "Sir Richard" !!!!!

NH/BB's

As far as "America's (real) airport is concerned(JFK), a 50+ gate (new) Kennedy, needs to pick up a lot of widebody contract work(Gravy $$).

Of course AA management would need to assure the contractee's that it had sufficient manning of THEIR flts. (Obviously, we all know how that goes") !!!!!!

NewHampshire Black Bears said:
DFWCC,

I too, hope US makes it.(I've got family there)

However, on the "flip side", just the slots at BOS, DCA, and especially LGA, I expect to see a "brutal" bidding war between AA,DL,B6 and "Sir Richard" !!!!!

NH/BB's

As far as "America's (real) airport is concerned(JFK), a 50+ gate (new) Kennedy, needs to pick up a lot of widebody contract work(Gravy $$).

Of course AA management would need to assure the contractee's that it had sufficient manning of THEIR flts. (Obviously, we all know how that goes") !!!!!!
On a somewhat different note,

We are all aware of how much "metal" and airline employees are "on ice", but there is also a bunch of airline exec's floating around out there, on different jobs.

I'm sure "Sir Richard" is well aware of that.

While a large part of them deserve to be manageing a "McDonalds near you", they do possess a ton of valuable airline info, from what would be "Sir Richards" (future) competition. IMHO, It would be VERY interesting to see if the "virgin man" goes looking for them.

NH/BB's/"RETIRED"

("Thats it", It's cold and raining like *ELL, and the morning news is over, BACK to my pillow and "blankie") zzzzzzzzzzz :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Be back at noon !!

I think AA's goal should be to pick up USAir's LGA terminal to get away from the awful central Terminal. Picking as many slots from Us would be good too, shuttle slots even if not used for those flights for expanded service to ORD, DFW or Florida.

While it may seem wrong to propose what to do if U tanks, the reality is people were saying the same thing about what their airline could get iff AA tanked a year ago lest you forget. This is still business and while I wish my friends at U the best, the best may not necessarily be at U. So, that having been said, I must say that I'm surprised to have not heard anyone talk about PHL...even with WN it is still a huge revenue base to leave out there in the wind. Most of the majors have the capacity to add flights to PHL in some form...I think AA needs to capilize the most as they lack any position there and UA will not be able to invest as easily...while DL/NW would only hurt their partner CO...not sure it would go over well...gov't might have issues with that as well..

My original thoughts were... "If USAIR tanks", slots, gates, dancing room etc will be exspensive at the BOS PHL LGA's. The competition will also be pushing to get in.
I was thinking AA could expand several flight into PIT maybe 10 to 15 and then go after SYR-ALB-MDT-ERI-ABE and run these psgs thru STL going west. Bypassing the cap-controlled ORD or the jammed DFW.
We may have enough iron laying around and RIFers to bring in these cities that have limeted service and therefore be able to pick up better fare advantages.

Back