International Expansion for US Airways PHX Hub

They also "planned" on starting PHL-China service this year.....believe it only when you see it. Barring miraculous intervention leading to settling the pilots' and F/a's contracts, don't count on it....

A wiki link for something planned to happen three years from now???

Not.going.to.happen.anyway.

Getting more mileage out of re-announcing the same airbus order for the umpteenth time, eh?

As I've already said in another thread, 2012 is a LOOONG time away and a lot can and will happen between now and then. IMO, US will try to find a way to fly to NRT from PHL even if it means taking some weight restrictions, because that is where the route NEEDS to be flown from.

On another note, saw an article in the PHX Business Journal that said "US could start a route from PHX-GRU as well"

That made for a good laugh

If and when this might happen you have to take into account this is the same management team that wouldn't fly the CLT-CDG flight with CLT crews because of Schengen Visa's. You think they are going to train the whole base to fly the A330-200 for two or possibly three routes? HELL NO! ! ! ! They are to cheap. We won't see any European flights out of PHX for a very long time. I don't care WHAT management tells ya. They crunch numbers and crunch them again. If it isn't profitable to do so now what makes ya think it will be in 2 years without some serious shift in biz? No way.

US Airways is planning on starting new service from Phoenix to Tokyo starting in 2012 using an Airbus A330-200.

US Airways is also planning on starting new service from Phoenix to Frankfurt and London-Heathrow when they receive more Airbus A330-200 aircraft, around the year 2011.

Please see Wikipedia link at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phoenix_Sky_H...airline_service

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phoenix_Sky_H...airline_service

That same link contains even more exciting news for US Airways!

US Airways announces service for the 2012-2013 timeframe for vacationers headed to the beach on the Sea of Tranquility. They will be presently purchasing the necessary vehicles for this service, and expect DOT approval before the end of 2009.

Good find NYCbus.....they'll probably need to go after some 340-500's for that, and even then I bet it will be severly weight restricted.

US Airways announces service for the 2012-2013 timeframe for vacationers headed to the beach on the Sea of Tranquility. They will be presently purchasing the necessary vehicles for this service, and expect DOT approval before the end of 2009.

It'll never work. Everyone would think they landed back in PHX.

Anything more than six months down the road is a crapshoot.

Let's see: up until recently, the US widebody fleet consisted of 9 B767-200 and 9 A330-300.
US has 15 A330-200 on order, all to be delivered by the end of 2011 , plus two that were leased from ILFC at short notice and have joined the fleet already.
In addition US has firm orders in place for 22 A350, including 4 of the 900 series, the capacity of which comes close to a B747, all to be delivered between 2014 and 2017.
Almost certainly the entire B767 fleet will be retired as the A332 come online, and the A330-300 may also go by 2017. Even then, based on current plans, US will have 39 widebodies in 2017, more than twice as many as a couple of months ago. D'you really think they have no idea what to do with all the extra lift?

Can airbus get the A350 (a330 ripoff) off the drawing board first please? :rolleyes: I wouldn't count ANYTHING you see regarding that bird. As for knowing what to do with "all that lift". Well there are just so many ways to run with that. I haven't had my second cup of coffee yet so I'll be nice. :lol:

Let's see: up until recently, the US widebody fleet consisted of 9 B767-200 and 9 A330-300.
US has 15 A330-200 on order, all to be delivered by the end of 2011 , plus two that were leased from ILFC at short notice and have joined the fleet already.
In addition US has firm orders in place for 22 A350, including 4 of the 900 series, the capacity of which comes close to a B747, all to be delivered between 2014 and 2017.
Almost certainly the entire B767 fleet will be retired as the A332 come online, and the A330-300 may also go by 2017. Even then, based on current plans, US will have 39 widebodies in 2017, more than twice as many as a couple of months ago. D'you really think they have no idea what to do with all the extra lift?

On this property, we have learned the painful lesson that "on order" is meaningless, and even more meaningless is "options." Until a new delivery is in scheduled service, anything can (and has) happened to these airplanes to sent them flying for other operators. How many "USAirways A330s" are flying around in NW (soon to be DL) colors?

There is no "extra lift" to contend with until it is sitting at the gate, serviced and empty.

Back