International Expansion for US Airways PHX Hub

Can airbus get the A350 (a330 ripoff) off the drawing board first please? :rolleyes: I wouldn't count ANYTHING you see regarding that bird. As for knowing what to do with "all that lift". Well there are just so many ways to run with that. I haven't had my second cup of coffee yet so I'll be nice. :lol:

Boeing's having its share of problems with the Dreamliner. Maybe the A350 will only be a few months behind the 787 in deliveries. I don't know if I'd be happy getting one of the early 787's that will have a patch on the fuselage to correct the wrinkles.

We will never see the NRT flight originate from PHX. I Dont see many Japanese living in PHX and we need to have both O&D and connecting traffic. 1 without the other will not work.

Hey all we ever hear is O&D...O&D. I'm sorry but PHL is where it's at as far as O&D numbers and filling a flight to Asia. The ONLY reason I can see Tempe trying to make it work is to use the A330-200 that is already being delivered which alleviates shopping for a new a/c type. I agree about LAS to a degree though. There is a HUGE Asian population there.

US did not lease any a330-200s from ILFC, they actually canceled the lease on those planes, the two they have are factory brand new from Airbus, not ILFC.

279AY:Registered Owner

Name US AIRWAYS INC
Street 111 W RIO SALADO PKWY
City TEMPE State ARIZONA Zip Code 85281-2880
County MARICOPA
Country UNITED STATES

280AY:Registered Owner

Name U S AIRWAYS INC
Street 111 W RIO SALADO PKWY
City TEMPE State ARIZONA Zip Code 85281-2880
County MARICOPA
Country UNITED STATES

From the FAA database, if they were leased it would show ILFC as the owner.

See Story

An early warning sign has been quietly erected by US Airways. Last week the carrier told employees that it has cancelled plans to lease two A330-200s. You may recall that the Star Alliance member in November 2007 announced a letter of intent with International Lease Finance (ILFC) to lease the widebodies in 2009. These were in addition to five newly ordered A330-200s for delivery in 2011, and a further ten standing orders for A330-200s due for delivery through 2009 and 2010.

Hey all we ever hear is O&D...O&D. I'm sorry but PHL is where it's at as far as O&D numbers and filling a flight to Asia.

You're probably talking about average fare per passenger which is obviously higher for PHL. For pure O & D (2008) numbers PHL is way down the list, #16 @ 17.3 million pax. PHX was #7 @ 23.2 million. LAS was #1, CLT isn't even on the list of the top 30 airports.

D'you really think they have no idea what to do with all the extra lift?

From the US Airways filing for the Beijing route in 2007.

"III. US Airways Is The Best Choice For The 2009 Designation And Frequencies, And No Applicant Has Shown Otherwise

A. US Airways Will Have Sufficient A340-300 Aircraft To Begin Philadelphia-Beijing Service on March 25, 2009"

Do you really believe dreams come true?

Do you really believe dreams come true?

Yes, I do. Really. But that's just my life experience.

Back to the topic: Applying for restricted route authorities is simply the prudent thing to do, if and when they become available. I am certain the same folks here on this board would have bitched just as much about US management, if they had simply ignored the opportunity in the first place. When US Airways applied for China in 2007, they obviously could not factor in the economic downturn in 2008. It does not make sense to expand to a new market in a part of the world where US has no presence at all, during times, where world air traffic is declining in double digit numbers.

On the other hand, US has aggressively ventured into some long-haul markets in recent years, which require less start-up expenses: Hawaii is one of them, add to that TLV, plus numerous new destinations in Europe, and, this fall, South America. US now has a route network, on which the sun never sets. For an airline that was seriously considering abandoning long-haul flying altogether just a decade ago, I find this quite impressive. I have no reason to believe that the airline is not serious about continuing this path. The deferral of the China route is not proof to the contrary - it just shows that Parker has not lost his sense for economic realities.

Hmm wonder why you ignored the A330-200 info that I posted to show you were wrong?

The deferral of Beijing, due to lack of aircraft, shows they lied in their DOT filing.

No way to win friends in pursuing other authorities.

US did not lease any a330-200s from ILFC, they actually canceled the lease on those planes ...

Thanks for the correction. I missed that little news blurb. My assertion still stands, though: widebody lift more than doubles within 8 years, based on current firm orders.

Thanks for the correction. I missed that little news blurb. My assertion still stands, though: widebody lift more than doubles within 8 years, based on current firm orders.
If I had $100 for every firm order this company ever kept.

You're probably talking about average fare per passenger which is obviously higher for PHL. For pure O & D (2008) numbers PHL is way down the list, #16 @ 17.3 million pax. PHX was #7 @ 23.2 million. LAS was #1, CLT isn't even on the list of the top 30 airports.
I can get $89-99 fares to LAS or PHX anytime. What's the AVG fare/ CSM PHX vs PHL? LAS is #1 and US is downsizing that.

If I had $100 for every firm order this company ever kept.
:rolleyes: :rolleyes: And if i had 100 bucks for everytime US planned and/or promised something i'd seriously be a millionaire...long time ago. US new tag line " A Day Late and A Dollar Short ". NEVER, EVER believe anything they promise - they rarely deliver!

Back